Himalayan 750

its the sort of bike I can see myself on one day , I can really see the appeal of a simpler type of adventure bike. not everyone wants a hard charging KTM type of ride im glad enfield make these practical more travel oriented bikes. hope it won't be a long wait but guessing it will be.
 
Can you do a translation Arsey ? My French is a bit rusty!

He just says it’s got a 750 version of the twin motor and it’s pretty much ready for homologation, but they don’t know if it will be called Himalayan or something else and there is no release date yet, maybe in a year’s time, maybe two :nenau
 
Can you do a translation Arsey ? My French is a bit rusty!
Never mind the translation! Those Sherpa engined specials look terrific. The new 750 Himmie ... not so much, but then again it's clearly a work in progress. It looks a practical adventure bike but a lot will depend on the detail such as wet weight, panniers etc.
 
Never mind the translation! Those Sherpa engined specials look terrific. The new 750 Himmie ... not so much, but then again it's clearly a work in progress. It looks a practical adventure bike but a lot will depend on the detail such as wet weight, panniers etc.
Royal Enfield are developing some cracking bikes! I love my Himmy 411 - The simplicity, the pricing, the ease of working on it!
 
Hope they do release the 750 twin Himalayan [ or whatever they want to call it) …looks a great cheap, no nonsense bike to me. If the price tag is right they will sell loads imho
 
A 750 Himmy would be interesting, but is starting to encroach on a few other good value off road bikes, of Far Eastern origin. Pricing and simplicity of owning will be important to fend off some of the competitors.
The 411 bikes are very simple to work on, and only 1 special tool is needed to strip the engine ( alternator flywheel puller). I hope Royal Enfield can maintain the simplicity of working on the larger machines.
 
It looks like a different bike along the same type ..... went from a 411 single to a larger twin ..... certainly no shortage of mid size upright twins, which are the cheapest to manufacture likely .... I would have prefered a larger single for high speed highway riding .... I like the 411 but it is a tad small for high speed expressways, likely. there is always some box that isn't ticked it seems .....
 
It looks like a different bike along the same type ..... went from a 411 single to a larger twin ..... certainly no shortage of mid size upright twins, which are the cheapest to manufacture likely .... I would have prefered a larger single for high speed highway riding .... I like the 411 but it is a tad small for high speed expressways, likely. there is always some box that isn't ticked it seems .....
Weird . You’d think it would be the same bike along a different type …
 
Weird . You’d think it would be the same bike along a different type …
Well the point is, the new bike became something else. from a single to a twin .... not the same as a larger single. I went thru the whole thread. I would still like to have a larger more powerful single which is still somewhat practical, like the 411, instead of the KTM Husky 500 or even the 700 which tend toward high maintenance, less practical ..... The kawasaki 650 weighs almost as much as a GS and is down on power as well.
 
the test bikes are being scrapped already so must be getting close to launch date :thumb2

looking forward to doing a test ride for sure

View attachment 527875
IIRC prototypes get scrapped for 2 reasons.

Firstly they're non-standard and may have faults.

Secondly, if they sell them, the VAT is huge because it's based on the original cost. Each one could have cost £100k or more.

I recall a Car magazine article driving a Jaguar XK8 prototype the scrapyard. Car was fine, but the VAT massive.
 
IIRC prototypes get scrapped for 2 reasons.

Firstly they're non-standard and may have faults.

Secondly, if they sell them, the VAT is huge because it's based on the original cost. Each one could have cost £100k or more.

I recall a Car magazine article driving a Jaguar XK8 prototype the scrapyard. Car was fine, but the VAT massive.
I suspect there’s a bit of anti industrial espionage/ snoop journalism going on too!
 
Well the point is, the new bike became something else. from a single to a twin .... not the same as a larger single. I went thru the whole thread. I would still like to have a larger more powerful single which is still somewhat practical, like the 411, instead of the KTM Husky 500 or even the 700 which tend toward high maintenance, less practical ..... The kawasaki 650 weighs almost as much as a GS and is down on power as well.
In fairness, lots of Himmi owners were asking for more power from day one. For me, the 450 pretty much satisfies that but others will not agree. There’s also the simple fact that this is a huge market segment. It dominates the market in fact. So why not capitalise on that at relatively little cost by using existing parts as far as possible?
 
In fairness, lots of Himmi owners were asking for more power from day one. For me, the 450 pretty much satisfies that but others will not agree. There’s also the simple fact that this is a huge market segment. It dominates the market in fact. So why not capitalise on that at relatively little cost by using existing parts as far as possible?
I probably miss spoke here, I did mean to say himmy 450, not the 411. The 450 does have pretty respectable power, something like 40hp. I was just hoping for a nice light single with at least 500 ccs. maybe a 650 or something like that. The twin might be decent, I just don't like engine type honestly. It is very hard to find one that tics most or all boxes .... ride safe ....
 
IIRC prototypes get scrapped for 2 reasons.

Firstly they're non-standard and may have faults.

Secondly, if they sell them, the VAT is huge because it's based on the original cost. Each one could have cost £100k or more.

I recall a Car magazine article driving a Jaguar XK8 prototype the scrapyard. Car was fine, but the VAT massive.
Agree on this ^^^^^^^^ Mcn ran a column on an ex Honda test rider/ engineer who spoke about engines being scrapped after a very short time. Its only reading your post above that I know understand why 👍
 
Never mind the translation! Those Sherpa engined specials look terrific. The new 750 Himmie ... not so much, but then again it's clearly a work in progress. It looks a practical adventure bike but a lot will depend on the detail such as wet weight, panniers etc.
He also said it would'nt be in shell suit colours like the one's he showed first; :D
 


Back
Top Bottom