Isle of Wight to Iraq Ride report

IOWGS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I would share a short ride report I did riding from the Isle of Wight to Iraq in March 2014.

I was working in Iraq at the time so the plan was to ride into Iraq, keep the bike there for 4 weeks and then ride back out.

I used my 2012 BMW GS1200, with vario luggage, small BMW tankbag, Sargent seat, Touratech fairing extender and my Tom Tom rider GPS, the total round trip was 6000 miles in which I rode the outward leg in 6 days and the return in 7 days.

The route was IOW – Portsmouth. Cross channel ferry, thorough France to Ancona in Italy. Ferry to Igumenitsa in Greece, across Greece to the Turkish border. Across Turkey via Istanbul, Ankara, and Adana, to the Iraq border at Silopi, and then riding through Iraq to Sulimaniah, via Erbil.

24 March

Start of the trip, a night channel crossing from Portsmouth Via DFDS Seaway, pouring with rain but an easy crossing the boat is basic but Ok with decent cabins and a good breakfast to start the day.

25 March

First day of the trip, a fast ride down through France to Chamonix, pouring with rain most of the way made it to Chamonix late PM, forgot how nice it is here.
530 miles today.
Staying in a trendy ski hotel in the town, I walked in the bar and have doubled the average age of the customers!

2vuhoib.jpg
[/IMG]

26 March

Up at first light as the Ferry from Italy leaves at 3pm, the bike was iced up, but thawed out as we went through the Mont Blanc tunnel, rest of the drive through Italy to Ancona was wet.
The boat was excellent, good bike parking, nice cabins and food, a good night’s rest was had.

27 March

Docked in Igoumenista, Greece, 11.30 am this morning (later than planned) Great ride today across Greece, good roads, good weather, stayed 40 mins from the Turkish border, holed up in a seaside town for the night ready to hit the Turkish border tomorrow early am, and then ride to the southern Turkish coast. So far a really good trip.

nb7pj8.jpg
[/IMG]

28 March

At the Turkish border 7am, very quiet and little traffic, no issues just had to buy insurance and show documents, rain started as soon as I entered Turkey.
Heavy rain and even heavier traffic in Istanbul, slowing me up, once clear I pushed on to Ankara, and found a hotel for the night, 480 miles today.

29 March

Up early today for a ride down to Adana on the southern Turkish coast. Interesting ride over the high plains in the centre of the country and then dropping down via a great road onto the coast.
Was stopped by a Police roadblock mid-morning for speeding, traffic cops were great, interested in the bike and my destination, they gave me a ticket and said I would have to pay a fine as I left the country ( I was never charged any fine at any Turkish border during the trip)
Very warm in Adana and the wind was picking up a bad sign for the next day.

2cff71w.jpg
[/IMG]

30 March
A tough but interesting day 470 miles – Up early to find a gale blowing, difficult riding with the sidewinds, and the temp dropped to 2 degrees, resulting in me putting all of my packed clothes on to keep warm!

The further east I rode the more Hilly billy it became, lots of Renualt 12’s and horses and carts. I was heading for Silopi and as such used the road on the Syrian Turkish border, plenty of guards, towers and razor wire to be seen.

People started to become very interested in the bike and were waving from the street at me, not many large bikes come this way.
A few miles from Silopi is a town called Cizre, as I rounded the corner I was confronted by a large pile of burning and smoking tyres in the road and a large group of very agitated and over excited teenagers! I rode around them as they were shouting and waving at me to stop.
I then had to jump the next set of traffic lights as another group tried to stop me, and as I headed up the hill out of the town, an old fashioned baby pram with two youths on-board wizzed down past me the other way!

It turned out that today was Election Day and feelings and emotions were running high in this part of turkey!

I made it to Silopi booked in the only hotel and prepared for the border crossing to Iraq first thing in the morning.

31 March

Up at first light to head for the border, the queue of trucks to cross the border started 6 miles out, and the Iraq side use a quota system and only allows a set number of trucks in per day. I filtered past the queue to the front of the Turkish exit border – no issues here and no mention of a speeding fine.

The Iraq side was next, my arrival caused much interest (in a good way!)

The bike was inspected and the chassis and engine numbers are recorded, the details are then recorded in my passport and I am given a stamp that allows me to keep the bike in country for up to 6 months, in return for this I have to leave my V5 at the border which I can collect when I exit the border in 4 weeks time – This is to stop people selling cars etc in country as they are very cheap in Turkey and very expensive in Iraq.

The process took 4 hours but was quire relaxed and everyone was helpful

I had arranged a local driver to meet me the other side of the border as I was not really sure of the route to Erbil. We met as arranged and set off.
There are many security checkpoints in Iraq and we were stopped at everyone, 5 mins to check documents and then 15 mins to allow the guards to take facebook pics with the bike! Everyone was interested and helpful.
Onto to Erbil and then over the mountain road to Sulimaniah and the end of the first leg. The bike stayed in Suli for 4 weeks. I did a few trips to Erbil and round the city etc, and could of sold the bike for good money 20 times at least if only I had the V5!

10860wx.jpg
[/IMG]
2ro47bn.jpg
[/IMG]

25 April – The return ride

An early start back up to the border from Sulimaniah, the weather had really warmed up in 4 weeks so it was a hot dusty ride, crossing back over to Turkey was OK but the paperwork process of getting my V5 back was complex and as such took a few hours of patience! But I got there in the end.

The guys at the Turkish side customs were really excited to see me and held up the queue of waiting cars for ages while they all had photos taken of them on the bike.

Then back to the hotel in Silopi for and early start the next day in Turkey.

6qe1pu.jpg
[/IMG]

26 April

Today was the biggest ride of the trip, 670 miles to Konya, I wanted to cross Turkey with only one overnight stop, so the plan was Konya and then the following day a ride up to cross the border back into Greece, to save time I planned to avoid Istanbul, and catch the small ferry from Lapseki to Galipoli and then a short ride up into Greece.

As such I started at first light, the roads were quiet but I did not bank on the many packs of wild dogs chasing me though the first few towns until the traffic built up.

Today was also the day I thought I would run out of fuel, I picked up a new dual carriageway over the mountains, which was a great ride, but had no service stations or towns, my fuel gauge was down to 9 miles when I finally found fuel.

Into Konya wornout ready for the next day.

27 April

Up Early heading for the Greek border, and as I started the bike the headlamp bulb blew, (the one and only problem I had with the bike on the whole trip) I managed to get a replacement at a local fuel station.

Today was a great cross country ride and the decision to bypass Istanbul was good, the ferry is excellent and only takes 25 mins.
No issues at the Turkish/Greek border ( no mention of the speeding ticket) and I spent the night in the seaside town of Alexandroupolis.

15qd9v4.jpg
[/IMG]
fk5q36.jpg
[/IMG]

28 April

Easy day today, as I had all day to cross Greece to get the ferry at Igoumenitsa which sails at 11pm. Stopped at a few towns on the way for a look around – Greece is a great country good riding roads and a very chilled out atmosphere.

The boat was late so straight to bed once I was on board and then had most of the following day on board as we sailed up towards Ancona in Italy.

29 April

The boat docked at 5pm, so I had a quick 2 hour blast to Bologna for an overnight stop and of course some spaghetti Bolognese!

30 April

A wet start to the day, and it continued to rain all the way to the Mont Blanc tunnel, a quick stop in Chamonix for lunch and then onwards, heading for Dijon, via a quick stop in Geneva – Which is a great city and well worth a stop.

Last night in a hotel, and tomorrow up to Le Havre for the ferry and home.

1 May

An easy last day, as the ferry does not leave until 5pm, Le harve was closed as it was a public holiday and it was raining so a few hours hanging around the ferry terminal for the ferry – Not the most dynamic end to the trip!

Followed by a short ride to the IOW ferry and them home.

All in all an excellent trip 6000 miles, 47 fuel stops, 44 MPG average for the trip, one litre of oil, and one blown headlamp bulb. And got the chance to ride into a country very few motorcycles go to.
And now in hindsight with all the recent troubles in the region I think it will be a while before anyone else will be able to. Shame as Northern Iraq is a great riding country full of helpful and friendly people.

Just what do you think you are doing?.......fancy someone taking an adventure style bike on an adventure ride!!!

Seriously though, What a trip to do. Nice pics as well.

You must be quite well off....IOW ferry?....not cheap.

Bloody hell. I'm only in Southampton, you could have come past and picked me up! Very understated for a trip of that magnitude too. Very impressed indeed. Please don't leave home without me again:)

Enjoyed that... Nicely understated, and MUCH better than yet another thrash around Euroland.....Good stuff.....:thumb2

Nice concise understated report well done and thanks for sharing. I'm sure some publications would have got 3 instalments out of it. Jjh

Well done ... and thank you :thumb

A real ride report :thumby:

:beerjug:

I really enjoyed that write up ... thanks for taking the time to share it with us all :thumb2

Woah! What an adventure. One grossly understated trip. You rode around a stack of burning tyres ... and seems like you did not bat an eyelid ... where I would've been sh** in my pants :bow . You right, with the current state of affairs, will be sometime before anyone goes that side. Thanks for the RR. A few more pics would've been good but I guess with these kinda daily miles you focus on riding rather than piccies.

Thought I would share a short ride report I did riding from the Isle of Wight to Iraq in March 2014.

I was working in Iraq at the time so the plan was to ride into Iraq, keep the bike there for 4 weeks and then ride back out.

I used my 2012 BMW GS1200, with vario luggage, small BMW tankbag, Sargent seat, Touratech fairing extender and my Tom Tom rider GPS, the total round trip was 6000 miles in which I rode the outward leg in 6 days and the return in 7 days.

The route was IOW – Portsmouth. Cross channel ferry, thorough France to Ancona in Italy. Ferry to Igumenitsa in Greece, across Greece to the Turkish border. Across Turkey via Istanbul, Ankara, and Adana, to the Iraq border at Silopi, and then riding through Iraq to Sulimaniah, via Erbil.

24 March

Start of the trip, a night channel crossing from Portsmouth Via DFDS Seaway, pouring with rain but an easy crossing the boat is basic but Ok with decent cabins and a good breakfast to start the day.

25 March

First day of the trip, a fast ride down through France to Chamonix, pouring with rain most of the way made it to Chamonix late PM, forgot how nice it is here.
530 miles today.
Staying in a trendy ski hotel in the town, I walked in the bar and have doubled the average age of the customers!

2vuhoib.jpg
[/IMG]

26 March

Up at first light as the Ferry from Italy leaves at 3pm, the bike was iced up, but thawed out as we went through the Mont Blanc tunnel, rest of the drive through Italy to Ancona was wet.
The boat was excellent, good bike parking, nice cabins and food, a good night’s rest was had.

27 March

Docked in Igoumenista, Greece, 11.30 am this morning (later than planned) Great ride today across Greece, good roads, good weather, stayed 40 mins from the Turkish border, holed up in a seaside town for the night ready to hit the Turkish border tomorrow early am, and then ride to the southern Turkish coast. So far a really good trip.

nb7pj8.jpg
[/IMG]

28 March

At the Turkish border 7am, very quiet and little traffic, no issues just had to buy insurance and show documents, rain started as soon as I entered Turkey.
Heavy rain and even heavier traffic in Istanbul, slowing me up, once clear I pushed on to Ankara, and found a hotel for the night, 480 miles today.

29 March

Up early today for a ride down to Adana on the southern Turkish coast. Interesting ride over the high plains in the centre of the country and then dropping down via a great road onto the coast.
Was stopped by a Police roadblock mid-morning for speeding, traffic cops were great, interested in the bike and my destination, they gave me a ticket and said I would have to pay a fine as I left the country ( I was never charged any fine at any Turkish border during the trip)
Very warm in Adana and the wind was picking up a bad sign for the next day.

2cff71w.jpg
[/IMG]

30 March
A tough but interesting day 470 miles – Up early to find a gale blowing, difficult riding with the sidewinds, and the temp dropped to 2 degrees, resulting in me putting all of my packed clothes on to keep warm!

The further east I rode the more Hilly billy it became, lots of Renualt 12’s and horses and carts. I was heading for Silopi and as such used the road on the Syrian Turkish border, plenty of guards, towers and razor wire to be seen.

People started to become very interested in the bike and were waving from the street at me, not many large bikes come this way.
A few miles from Silopi is a town called Cizre, as I rounded the corner I was confronted by a large pile of burning and smoking tyres in the road and a large group of very agitated and over excited teenagers! I rode around them as they were shouting and waving at me to stop.
I then had to jump the next set of traffic lights as another group tried to stop me, and as I headed up the hill out of the town, an old fashioned baby pram with two youths on-board wizzed down past me the other way!

It turned out that today was Election Day and feelings and emotions were running high in this part of turkey!

I made it to Silopi booked in the only hotel and prepared for the border crossing to Iraq first thing in the morning.

31 March

Up at first light to head for the border, the queue of trucks to cross the border started 6 miles out, and the Iraq side use a quota system and only allows a set number of trucks in per day. I filtered past the queue to the front of the Turkish exit border – no issues here and no mention of a speeding fine.

The Iraq side was next, my arrival caused much interest (in a good way!)

The bike was inspected and the chassis and engine numbers are recorded, the details are then recorded in my passport and I am given a stamp that allows me to keep the bike in country for up to 6 months, in return for this I have to leave my V5 at the border which I can collect when I exit the border in 4 weeks time – This is to stop people selling cars etc in country as they are very cheap in Turkey and very expensive in Iraq.

The process took 4 hours but was quire relaxed and everyone was helpful

I had arranged a local driver to meet me the other side of the border as I was not really sure of the route to Erbil. We met as arranged and set off.
There are many security checkpoints in Iraq and we were stopped at everyone, 5 mins to check documents and then 15 mins to allow the guards to take facebook pics with the bike! Everyone was interested and helpful.
Onto to Erbil and then over the mountain road to Sulimaniah and the end of the first leg. The bike stayed in Suli for 4 weeks. I did a few trips to Erbil and round the city etc, and could of sold the bike for good money 20 times at least if only I had the V5!

10860wx.jpg
[/IMG]
2ro47bn.jpg
[/IMG]

25 April – The return ride

An early start back up to the border from Sulimaniah, the weather had really warmed up in 4 weeks so it was a hot dusty ride, crossing back over to Turkey was OK but the paperwork process of getting my V5 back was complex and as such took a few hours of patience! But I got there in the end.

The guys at the Turkish side customs were really excited to see me and held up the queue of waiting cars for ages while they all had photos taken of them on the bike.

Then back to the hotel in Silopi for and early start the next day in Turkey.

6qe1pu.jpg
[/IMG]

26 April

Today was the biggest ride of the trip, 670 miles to Konya, I wanted to cross Turkey with only one overnight stop, so the plan was Konya and then the following day a ride up to cross the border back into Greece, to save time I planned to avoid Istanbul, and catch the small ferry from Lapseki to Galipoli and then a short ride up into Greece.

As such I started at first light, the roads were quiet but I did not bank on the many packs of wild dogs chasing me though the first few towns until the traffic built up.

Today was also the day I thought I would run out of fuel, I picked up a new dual carriageway over the mountains, which was a great ride, but had no service stations or towns, my fuel gauge was down to 9 miles when I finally found fuel.

Into Konya wornout ready for the next day.

27 April

Up Early heading for the Greek border, and as I started the bike the headlamp bulb blew, (the one and only problem I had with the bike on the whole trip) I managed to get a replacement at a local fuel station.

Today was a great cross country ride and the decision to bypass Istanbul was good, the ferry is excellent and only takes 25 mins.
No issues at the Turkish/Greek border ( no mention of the speeding ticket) and I spent the night in the seaside town of Alexandroupolis.

15qd9v4.jpg
[/IMG]
fk5q36.jpg
[/IMG]

28 April

Easy day today, as I had all day to cross Greece to get the ferry at Igoumenitsa which sails at 11pm. Stopped at a few towns on the way for a look around – Greece is a great country good riding roads and a very chilled out atmosphere.

The boat was late so straight to bed once I was on board and then had most of the following day on board as we sailed up towards Ancona in Italy.

29 April

The boat docked at 5pm, so I had a quick 2 hour blast to Bologna for an overnight stop and of course some spaghetti Bolognese!

30 April

A wet start to the day, and it continued to rain all the way to the Mont Blanc tunnel, a quick stop in Chamonix for lunch and then onwards, heading for Dijon, via a quick stop in Geneva – Which is a great city and well worth a stop.

Last night in a hotel, and tomorrow up to Le Havre for the ferry and home.

1 May

An easy last day, as the ferry does not leave until 5pm, Le harve was closed as it was a public holiday and it was raining so a few hours hanging around the ferry terminal for the ferry – Not the most dynamic end to the trip!

Followed by a short ride to the IOW ferry and them home.

All in all an excellent trip 6000 miles, 47 fuel stops, 44 MPG average for the trip, one litre of oil, and one blown headlamp bulb. And got the chance to ride into a country very few motorcycles go to.
And now in hindsight with all the recent troubles in the region I think it will be a while before anyone else will be able to. Shame as Northern Iraq is a great riding country full of helpful and friendly people.

Wow, thanks for sharing

A ride report with a difference. I enjoyed that.:thumb

Great report, I was in Basra in 2004 and often wondered what it would be like to back to Iraq, cant see Ryanair flying into BIA for a while yet

Excellent trip. would be good to speak some time, no doubt will see you on the island. Theres not too many R1200s over here.

Back
Top Bottom