Just binned my bike, anyone else experienced this.

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just come of my bike (04 1150 GSA 47000 all by me) under very strange circumstances.

Was riding along a straight but wet road at approx 30mph, bike started to die as though lacking fuel or losing a cylinder, tried giving it more gas and it picked up again seconds later engine stops dead without warning, back end locks and I'm sliding up the road. Picked it up restarted it and all appears normal again.:nenau

This is not the first time this has happened, exact same circumstances happened around 12 months ago when the bike stopped dead without any warning at around 50 mph, back end locked but I managed to grab the clutch and not drop it. More recently it did the sudden dieing act a couple more times but again I managed to pull over and as usual all is well again after bike is re started? all searchs here lead to fuel filter or coil packs, these duely replaced about 1000 miles ago all seemed well again until today. Looks like a couple of grands worth of damage (tank, screen, crash bars alloy box and rack, cylinder cover indicators, head light surround all knacked. Pissed off :spitfireand lost all faith in it, so I'm getting rid after repairs are complete.

Any one else experienced similar problems?

Think Ive bust a thumb, twisted a knee and ankle and possibly cracked a rib, I'm still waiting on recovery to collect the bike before I get checked out, pissed off with bike more than anything else.

Sorry to hear your experience - I would definately take the bike to a main dealer.

Happened on my DR600 once it's not nice:eek:

Get yourself checked out first:rob

Recovery have just rang to say they are on their way, bike is going to John Clark Motorrad in Dundee.

Dude, that must of put the bejeezus up your day

Glad you are ok :thumb2

i've experienced this on other bikes but have always been lucky to react as you did on earlier occasions and it was always put down to fuel injection/throttle sensors n' stuff having a micro misunderstanding with information recieved and a sudden loss of power was the way it expressed this

(i expressed it very colourfull language and threats to sell the f*cker ;) )

My 1100 is also fuel injected so i guess it's still a possibility.......

Sorry to hear of your news, I know of one other on here who's bike sometimes mis-fires in the wet, i'll let him know of your experience.

GWS.

Sorry to hear about this... hope you mend quickly.

Was an issue some time ago, fatality, Jap bike seemingly cut out on a corner and spat the lad off. Believed at the inquest the imobiliser fitted had suddenly done just that ... someone on here might know more!

Being as your bike 'lost power' probably wont be anything to do with an imobiliser but just maybe worth a thought if you have one fitted :eek:

Micky

I hope you heal fast, when my sidestand switch was on the blink I had the bike just switch off for no good reason, usually in a bumpy corner.

Stewart

Side stand switch sounds a suspect for that.Mine done it a few years ago,and it was the best save I've ever had on a bike:clapShame no fecker saw it though:(

fook.:eek:
my 1100 did it once up a mountain pass but i put it down to being in a too higher gear :nenau.
i hope you are ok.

mine did it once 04 1150 they replaced the fuel sensor thing never did it again

it felt like a stall, fuel starvation issue happened on a long right hand bend at lots of beans DOH...

worst feeling as the bike is starting to stuff in and your holding on for dear life thinking "well this is shit....!"

...bike started to die as though lacking fuel or losing a cylinder, tried giving it more gas and it picked up again seconds later engine stops dead without warning, back end locks and I'm sliding up the road. Picked it up restarted it and all appears normal again.:nenau

The loss of power before a rear wheel lock-up suggests a partial engine seizure. Loss of engine power wouldn't lock the rear wheel unless you were in a low gear. Having then seized it may have freed off sufficiently when cooled.
Could be a lube problem. I don't know the engine sufficiently well enough to know how the oil pump is driven. Could the engine be suffering low oil pressure?

Scary stuff dude:eek:
Like Dave D says it sounds to me like it's nipped up on you. I can't see how any sort of ignition failure/fueling issue would lock the back wheel:nenau

It's quite easy to lock up the back wheel on an oilhead GS. Try bump starting one & you'll see what I mean...

I think it's unlikely (but certainly not impossible) that it's a lube problem. Usual culprits are electrical issues - sidestand switch, ignition wiring around the headstock, coils - these are all more likely areas to look at.

Must say my first thought was 'bloody goddamn immobiliser' mutter BLOODY mutter... then 'side stand switch'.

let us know how you get on and the dealerships findings matey.

I'm with Paul....unlikely to be lube, it doesn't happen like that.

I'd doubt it was coil packs either.......they break down and cause bad running, spluttering and yes, loss of power, but not suddenly and with no prior symptoms then run OK again...they degrade and fail rather than causing an intermittent fault.

Side stand switch (Or similar short/ignition cut out scenario) quite possibly, but I think the most likely thing is a bit of crud in the fuel system- loss of power as the fuel gets stopped then cutting the engine (which DOES cause a lock up- same as changing down two cogs and dumping the clutch does!) then starting up again fine when the bike is righted and the clog swills away .

EDIT....Not immobiliser either- they're designed to be 'fail safe' and really shouldn't fail when the bike's running (i know there will be one or two who say theirs has) but if it did fail it would be just OFF instantly, no prior loss of power- and an immobiliser fault usually manifests as failing to start rather than cutting out when running.

Glad you're relatively ok though :)

EDIT....Not immobiliser either- they're designed to be 'fail safe' and really shouldn't fail when the bike's running (i know there will be one or two who say theirs has) but if it did fail it would be just OFF instantly, no prior loss of power- and an immobiliser fault usually manifests as failing to start rather than cutting out when running.

Glad you're relatively ok though :)

With an alarm/imobiliser you can get "chatter" through one of the relays which gives the symptons of loss of power. This usually happens at high revs which causes a vibration through one of the relays (one is open while one is closed)

I don't think this happened today as usually the power comes in and out. If you have an imobiliser please PM me with the details and I'll see what I can find out about your system.

Was riding along a straight but wet road at approx 30mph, bike started to die as though lacking fuel or losing a cylinder, tried giving it more gas and it picked up again seconds later engine stops dead without warning, back end locks and I'm sliding up the road. Picked it up restarted it and all appears normal again.:nenau
Any one else experienced similar problems?

Sorry to hear of your news, I know of one other on here who's bike sometimes mis-fires in the wet, i'll let him know of your experience.GWS.

Usual culprits are electrical issues - sidestand switch, ignition wiring around the headstock, coils - these are all more likely areas to look at.

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

I believe Mort is refering to me, my Bike misfires or cuts out totally whenever theres moisture about..however slight. I always ride covering the clutch lever with one finger ( early days spent on 2 strokes:rolleyes:) so although annoying.. issue hasnt caused me any real problems.

When I get round to it I'll be checking areas suggested by Paul.

Back
Top Bottom