Lithium battery upgrade

Tubzee

Registered user
Joined
Oct 2, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Location
Shropshire
Looking to upgrade to lithium. Are they reliable? Read all the marketing info which seems to be credible.. Not so bothered about weight, looking for reliability. Any views welcome.
 
I use the Antigravity brand with the restart function and although expensive never let me down on the last 2 bikes I have had
 
Conventional batteries are perfectly good and pretty much reliable on a motorcycle, unless you are definitely looking to save weight. More often than not, cheaper, too.
 
There's a still lot of bollox talked about automotive Lithium batteries, mostly be people who don't have personal experience or haven't researched the tech. They've been around for years now and work fine if specced and used correctly.
I've got a Shorai that's 10 years old, used on a variety of bikes, still going strong. I now opt for Noco or Shido (which appear to be the same as JMT). The Shido on my r100r/gs easily spins the hi-comp pistons in the tweaked motor, even when the bike's been left unused for weeks/months. I did have one Noco fail on me but the replacement has been fine.
The only downside is the initial cost
 
Looking to upgrade to lithium. Are they reliable? Read all the marketing info which seems to be credible.. Not so bothered about weight, looking for reliability. Any views welcome.
Going to Say "WHY????"

A decent battery, Good connections and corrosion free Grounds and Monitoring charge state is a MUCH more cost effective system!

Maybe it is just me, but, The "Trends" just keep going don;t they????

P.S. Yes I am a grumpy fecker! But, people have made me the way I am !!
 
Last edited:
not so good in the cold
Experienced that once in cold weather - didn't want to turn the engine over. Then learned that, when cold, you need to wake the battery up by e.g. using the headlight for 20 seconds or so before pressing the button. No issues since
 
Going to Say "WHY????"

A decent battery, Good connections and corrosion free Grounds and Monitoring charge state is a MUCH more cost effective system!

Maybe it is just me, but, The "Trends" just keep going don;t they????

P.S. Yes I am a grumpy fecker! But, people have made me the way I am !!

No interest in 'trends'. And that high initial cost is something which may well even out over time anyway. I know the Shorai was on the bike for a trip to Morocco - and that was back in 2012. So it's actually 14 or more years old...
Additionally, the bike in question (Ducati 1100 Hypermotard) had some additional under seat electronic gubbins and was fitted with a long range tank for the trip, leaving no room for the standard AGM battery. The smaller Shorai was the only way forward - worked like a charm and continues to do so.
I'm also lucky enough to keep an old BMW at my parents place. Doesn't get used for up to a year at a time - but reconnect the Shido and it fires right up. Can't see a lead acid battery doing that.
So, the question for me is, why not?
 


Back
Top Bottom