Nancy? What kind of name is that?

29th June 2014

Despite an inordinately generous dose of alcohol (the waitress was apparently using a wine measure for the Cognac :D), I sleep fitfully. It's warm and humid and I soon hear the sound of continuous heavy rain. I wander over to the window and it's falling straight down like stair-rods.

Poo

Peter and I meet up for breakfast and tackle the weather problem. Our initial target had been a return to the Dolomites, which we visited a couple of year back, but we have unfortunately chosen a bad period for weather in central southern Europe...

The only weather window we can see in any forecast is fine weather in the Dolomites on Tuesday. We toy with the idea of having a day off the bikes and seeing if things improve, but this idea is quashed when we find the hotel closes on a Sunday and that we have to be out by noon.

Really? A hotel that closes on a Sunday? :eek

Hey-ho. Over a protracted breakfast we decide to bite the bullet and retrieve what we can from a poorly dealt hand of weather. We are going to leave at midday and blatt down the Autoroute to Perpignan and then ride the Pyrenees from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. Although this means yet more Autoroute time, it will give us several good rising days in good forecast weather in an area neither of us is terribly familiar with.

It rains all the time we discuss this. Eventually we pack and get kitted up (my subconscious has blocked out the food & drink bill
lol8.gif
).

i-b34CpCJ-L.jpg

I walk out to the bike and press the starter at exactly midday and we set off through the centre of Gap in a soft drizzle.

i-gD6xWqD-L.jpg

The roads are quite busy and we carefully make our way through the town and join the Autoroute heading southwest. Just after we've got our Péage ticket, Peter stops to take off his waterproof gloves and jacket, as it's looking a little brighter.

i-wMzjWfF-L.jpg

When he tries to restart his bike the alarm activates. It seems to be locked into a cycle and he can't get it to disarm (even tried using the spare key-set I'm carrying). Eventually I am forced to take action and tell him to read the manual. Just after he does this, the alarm starts to behave itself - although Peter assures me that it was nothing to do with reading the manual... :D

I get the feeling we'll be removing the alarm when we get home...

We get underway and head into drier weather, although...

i-zdtcpGv-L.jpg

...clouds stuffed full of rain lurk on all sides...

i-M4x3TDQ-L.jpg

The Autoroute is quiet and we make good progress...

i-XmrXWK2-L.jpg

We pass through a couple of tunnels...

i-tzgfcmj-L.jpg

...past field upon field of soft fruit crops swathed in netting (gravity reduces as you approach the equator, so they have to keep the fruit contained)...

i-pfzGFrx-L.jpg

It's getting quite warm now and I've decided that I'll get de-kitted when we next stop for fuel. Shouldn't be long as Peter refuels at about 150ish miles...

i-ZS6Hh45-L.jpg

We pull into an Aire and fuel up, buy some baguettes and something to drink and then find...

i-m4rLbBV-L.jpg

...a shady picnic table to have lunch at.

i-TVTpkQ7-L.jpg

Very civilised.

After an hour or so we pack up and start heading southwest again...

i-8H3nncr-L.jpg

The sun is now out and the weather is beautiful - this morning's drizzle is just a bad memory...

i-pGNpCLs-L.jpg

As we ride through Aix-en-Provence, the Autoroute is lined with flowering bushes...

i-f7GvjzN-L.jpg

We stop to pay yet another toll - this Péage plaza is a huge Stalinist affair...

i-zxb57dT-L.jpg

The climate is definitely Mediterranean now, with tall conifers lining the road...

i-SBFXnV9-L.jpg

After yet another toll, we decide to stop for a drink and an ice cream...

i-39xFfmF-L.jpg

...we're on holiday, after all...

i-S4n9FzT-L.jpg

We get back on the road and encounter an unpleasant gusty wind coming from the northwest - the Mistral, perhaps?

i-TJSkw3j-L.jpg

The windsocks set up at the roadside are at 90º - the effect is to severely buffet the bike. I'm suffering particularly as it's catching the peak of my XD...

i-GmXRCsR-L.jpg

As we approach Perpignan, our target for tonight, the weather starts building to the north of the Autoroute...

i-t9wFJ28-L.jpg

...and over the Pyrenees beyond the city...

i-NV6b2fp-L.jpg

We encounter a few fat, hard, cold drops of rain, but motor through it without incident.

Peter's TomTom GPS is in charge of finding the hotel. It stops outside a large cemetery and says we've arrived (perhaps it was the dead centre of town?).

We put in an alternative hotel and a few minutes later...

i-TCp83zg-L.jpg

...arrive at the B&B Sud and check into our small...

i-2LvL63W-L.jpg

...but perfectly adequate rooms.

After a shower and change, it's time to eat. It so happens that there's a Steakhouse over the road...

i-hhGZGtS-L.jpg

Where we have a light repast...

i-Nfpqvq8-L.jpg

...followed by a couple of beers.

i-CfS7GNt-L.jpg

Not the most exciting day's riding, but we should now be positioned for something a little more interesting...

Oops - almost forgot the bridge...

i-ghqbWMs-L.jpg

30th June 2014

I wake to a beautiful day. It is already warm, with hardly a cloud in the sky. Peter is outside already, making new friends amongst the B&B guests by demonstrating his bike alarm.

i-ZCHp3WH-L.jpg

Peter and I pack the bikes and are on the road at just before 0830. We start the climb into the foothills of the Pyrenees – everyone else is just starting their commute to work – life is good… :D

i-6k5DT9X-L.jpg

There’s some high altitude cloud mackerelling the sky, but none of the rain bearing stuff we’ve been trying to dodge all week…

i-s8n42kW-L.jpg

I spot a roadside fruit and veg shop...

i-KPQFDVH-L.jpg

Peter and I are obviously on the same page, as I see his indicator come on...

i-9mZWQQm-L.jpg

We walk into the comparative darkness of the stall and choose from a wide selection of food on offer…

i-ss7d3Pr-L.jpg

Apricots…

i-XBjFD3N-L.jpg

…snails…

i-dv3k62r-L.jpg

…suspicious looking sausages (especially for you Jorgé - a Catalan delicacy!)…

i-8cDC3vL-L.jpg

…lemons, limes…

i-jqcr94x-L.jpg

…cheeses…

i-Pth6v3G-L.jpg

We end up buying a baguette and some cheese, various fruit and tomatoes, from a lady whose smile lit the room up...
Rabia.gif

i-9NT9FWv-L.jpg

We put the food in the Adv’s top box and set off again.

i-qpCSCWm-L.jpg

Just down the road, the circus is in town…

i-cv9mmLw-L.jpg

…with lots of the animals being given a bit of air…

i-ctZBGzR-L.jpg

We stop at a supermarket to get some provisions…

i-wx2GD2M-L.jpg

…then set off on a minor D road into the hills…

i-7wQJN48-L.jpg

…where we find an old fort – looking like it might be a set for Game of Thrones…

i-XgZThVS-L.jpg

Onward!

i-KXSJWTz-L.jpg

We find a fire track leading off into the woods and decide to top for a spot of breakfast…

i-cfT4Nmn-L.jpg

It’s cooler up in the hills, but still warm enough to want to stay in the shade…

i-FHG7Vvj-L.jpg

Suitably refreshed, we carry on…

i-8WBvLs6-L.jpg

…past a remarkable several-decker viaduct…

i-b3WDmGB-L.jpg

…which is apparently a small passenger railway service – we come across stations for most of the rest of the day…

i-gB3xX8x-L.jpg

This chap – talking animatedly on his mobile phone and then waving us through impatiently, holds us up for a few minutes…

i-Z8mcvSS-L.jpg

This looks like a nice place to have lunch…

i-PSmndnN-L.jpg

I make up cheese & tomato baguettes from the stuff we bought earlier…

i-kDbfQWq-L.jpg

Peter wears his DILLAC hat and we watch the world go by…

i-4R8fGpQ-L.jpg

…including this Hyabusa outfit, who was having great fun on the twisties…

i-n7mgjWk-L.jpg

Not sure about this sausage Jorgé …

i-KScJxNx-L.jpg

Actually it’s Black Pudding (Blood Sausage) – not to be eaten raw…

i-vmqfLgF-L.jpg

We finish off the fruit…

i-fDNv2dq-L.jpg

…and then set off again…

i-tCbjWNN-L.jpg

The weather is absolutely perfect. The altitude cools the day down perfectly and it’s difficult to imagine a better place to be on two wheels…

i-TGHmhwT-L.jpg

We clear the col (Peter will be providing a full list of these - I expect), and enter lush alpine meadows…

i-sK4MBNH-L.jpg

Riding down the far side of the col is great…

i-HbD7SQv-L.jpg

…the views open spectacularly…

i-FNQ5jL9-L.jpg

Today’s mystery car…

i-FRqZ3bV-L.jpg

…anyone care to guess make/model/year?

i-JdH9Mpm-L.jpg

Onward!

i-JqZj44k-L.jpg

Skiing and snowboarding pays the bills around here, as the municipal artwork shows…

i-RKNGHbK-L.jpg

What’s this? another circus?

i-23nfvc2-L.jpg

No animals on display at this one though…

i-NLCbZpT-L.jpg

The roads are poorly surfaced...

i-ddZffZG-L.jpg

...and very twisty…

i-4j5fzfm-L.jpg

…just right… :D

i-skRjh4j-L.jpg

Another vista opens before us – the town like a map on the valley floor…

i-szs8JJB-L.jpg

Miles to go yet…

i-c5pPWzm-L.jpg

…but how could you not stop to savour a view like this?

i-Gbr2mm3-L.jpg

As we make the long descent towards Luzenac…

i-dG6CXpS-L.jpg

…the views just keep getting better…

i-GsMjmzW-L.jpg

OK – last leg…

i-x45SwZh-L.jpg

…we have gentle ride into Luzenac...

i-swgWhdP-L.jpg

...where Peter spots the Tourist Information point. He comes out having booked us rooms – air conditioned, free Wi-Fi etc – turn next right and it’s 200 metres on the right.

i-KZZFngk-L.jpg

Actually it’s nearer a kilometre, just past the Talc refinery; the Wi-Fi doesn’t work and there’s no air con. Hey-ho – it’s (relatively) cheap and cheerful – plus the proprietor kindly lets us use a garage to park the bikes :thumb

i-98DdCwR-L.jpg

We are assigned our rooms and, a shower and change later, meet in the bar. This is a Les Routiers hotel, meaning it’s used by a lot of truck drivers. This means good quality food and plenty of it. No pics of dinner I’m afraid, but my jeans don’t feel nearly so comfortable after eating…

Still unable to get on line (despite the owner’s offer to use the hotel’s PC), I rough draft the journal entry and, after a couple of beers, get an early night.

What a good decision to reposition here.

Good day…

i-M8BP2Pt-L.jpg

1st July 2014

Another beautiful morning. I release the Adv form its night-time vault and pack the panniers. It’s getting a few days onto the trip now and the right hand bag is containing not much short of toxic waste… :D

I take a couple of snaps of the fort on the hill behind the hotel...

i-gNVNsgm-L.jpg

I can’t really recommend this place to stay – but can definitely recommend the restaurant. :thumb

i-C4zXrFN-L.jpg

After a continental breakfast we pack and are on our way into a beautiful cool morning…

i-XRKTb5p-L.jpg

After a few clicks, I notice a sign to the left “Route des Cols” – we turn off at the junction to find another set from Game of Thrones on the left…

i-4HqQjBx-L.jpg

…and a hydroelectric plant on the right.

i-NpFTRQX-L.jpg

We’re soon climbing into the mountains…

i-jSqWnV7-L.jpg

We follow the sign to Goulier Neige Access Station out of pure curiosity…

i-v4kgGBr-L.jpg

…and find a fantastic road…

i-hVT5WxR-L.jpg

…with view after view that we just had to stop for…

i-ppxswxD-L.jpg

We eventually reach the top, take a breather…

i-jkw7x99-L.jpg

…and then make our way back down the same road…

i-nfFnxx8-L.jpg

There’s a Mountain Helicopter School near here – flying a rotary wing aircraft in the mountains is a special skill and we watch them practicing during the day…

i-bjnwrtN-L.jpg

We see signs for the Via Ferrata...

i-G2hJnfs-L.jpg

...a cable hammered into the side of a mountain to allow people to traverse with the minimum of training (unsurprisingly, this was pioneered by the military)…

i-LSc9K8G-L.jpg

We re-join the Route des Cols…

i-T365XKv-L.jpg

…and both have separate wobbles on loose gravel – nothing dangerous, just a case of convincing your arse to let go of the sheepskin really. The first warnings of ‘Gravillons’ appear about 500m later
bluduh.gif

i-hG5BRjP-L.jpg

I stop for a few minutes by this spectacular waterfall…

i-4sMz8zX-L.jpg

…before continuing up the col…

i-X7mMKP2-L.jpg

…for the view of the road we’ve just ridden…

i-br3FWKG-L.jpg

Up here the temperature is cool – 65°F – and the air clear…

i-TR5n3Kz-L.jpg

We stop for an iced tea and an ice cream (at an eye-watering price)…

i-p6H5zJc-L.jpg

…at a terrace overlooking a lake just below the col…

i-6XV2R5w-L.jpg

There’s a chap flying his Quad-copter just below the terrace – it’s almost silent…

i-Q5tFR9v-L.jpg

Onward!

i-GLM9Z7Z-L.jpg

We continue up the Col de Agnes…

i-PRkQwxD-L.jpg

…which provides us with one of the most beautiful landscapes of the day…

i-GhtbP7f-L.jpg

Descending the other side...

i-ht4NhqN-L.jpg

...we are perplexed to find cones blocking the road...

i-nt7B4cx-L.jpg

We carefully ride between them and come across two chaps on a road crew clearing a bit of a rock fall.

i-FR2KBnW-L.jpg

Very glad I wasn’t here when that came down…:eek

i-jfzSC6v-L.jpg

We both resolve to take more notice of road signs…

i-rRtZMtw-L.jpg

Soon it’s time for lunch…

i-Q6tcJnT-L.jpg

…although we should probably look at booking ourselves in here…

i-fWVxVTm-L.jpg

On a more sombre note, there is a memorial to 686 men women and children rounded up by the Vichy French Government and sent to extermination camps in the second war – all the names are listed…

i-hPs2fVv-L.jpg

We set off down the mountain pass, eventually entering the town of Oust, where we stop for lunch at Le Garbet Restaurant…

i-k78PNnr-L.jpg

...which has a full car park - always a good sign... :thumb

i-PLrWLb4-L.jpg

Lunch arrives in waves, like troops attacking a beach…

i-x89KWWQ-L.jpg

Eventually it’s time to wave the white flag, waddle back to our bikes and get going again…

i-n75rRGL-L.jpg

During our meal it has started to cloud over and get warmer. The Adv’s thermometer now registers just under 100°F and it’s very humid…

i-JRx6CXC-L.jpg

I open all the vents on my jacket and we ride as fast as is sane for a while to keep cool…

i-GRx6Rb8-L.jpg

We ride down a river valley, but it’s still stinking hot…

i-Dg4PhJv-L.jpg

Wait a minute – what’s this?

i-ZzWSg2r-L.jpg

Anybody care to guess Make/Model/Year?

i-rCSp3nS-L.jpg

We soon turn off onto a very narrow D road, with occasional grass growing in the middle. The road surface is unpredictable and progress is slow.

i-Bxm23Qs-L.jpg

Hang on though – what’s this? (Picture taken through a fence I’m afraid) – anyone care to guess Make/Model/Year?

i-TsGBKB7-L.jpg

Eventually Peter’s GPS gives us an option that involves 20km or so on Autoroute – we jump at it...

i-CVBzkwd-L.jpg

We maintain 130kph for a few minutes...

i-pb4qDxT-L.jpg

...and our core temperatures regain a more normal level…

i-TxNWSp5-L.jpg

We get off the Autoroute and I see that the temperature has dropped a little, although it’s still very humid.

i-b2r4ntS-L.jpg

We press towards Luchon, our target for tonight, along a busy and challenging road – overtaking opportunities were few and far between…

i-k86Q4nx-L.jpg

We eventually reach Luchon and follow the sign for the Tourist Information Office – can’t find it…
bluduh.gif

i-hcwj8gn-L.jpg

I try a couple of hotels and we end up at the Hotel d’Etigny - €52.50 per night including secure garage. The porter walks back to the bikes with me, carries our gear inside and then shows us to the garage. There is Wi-Fi and I connect to it whilst getting ready for the shower.

i-cLcZMzf-L.jpg

It’s like dial-up. An upload speed of 0.2MbPS :eek

i-QgvwHmB-L.jpg

Ah, well – seems I will be doing THREE day’s journal tomorrow night then… :D

Peter meets me in the bar at 1730 and we have a beer – bottled…

i-8qfdq7Z-L.jpg

After half an hour we head down the beautiful avenue of trees that line the main street and find the Montagne bar, which serves a very good beer…

i-ZBLhnTs-L.jpg

…and food…

i-ZXBMsgg-L.jpg

…did I mention the beer?

i-JJkcrFn-L.jpg

Well – we’re on holiday after all…

Whilst we’re eating and drinking, a thunderstorm passes through – I hope it will clear the air for tomorrow.

We get back to the hotel at about 2030 and agree to meet up tomorrow at about 0730 for breakfast and a planning session.

A great day’s riding – coming to the Pyrenees was an excellent plan… :thumb2

i-zST6tbq-L.jpg

2nd July 2014

A very poor night’s sleep – not sure why. I had the windows wide open to get some air into the room and listened to two heavy rainstorms pass through, but decent sleep eluded me…

I get up and pack at just after 0700. The sky is a light overcast – the Internet connection failed completely yesterday evening and so I’m running on a three-day-old forecast, which says we should have fine weather today…

i-5fSmCJC-L.jpg

I meet Peter for breakfast at around 0730 for a planning session. It looks like a good spread, but actually it’s no different to the B&B buffet…

We pay our (very reasonable) bill. John – the manager – is a real character (I really wish he was called Claude or Jean-Pierre – he should be).

i-VXPXKhB-L.jpg

He tells us that France is the only communist country left in Europe and that he works nine months out of 12 just to pay his taxes. He wants to retire to Portugal…

i-vFCdKR7-L.jpg

We retrieve the bikes from their garage and pack them.

i-zfxxNcx-L.jpg

It’s a cooler morning, with some low level cloud around the hilltops…

i-5nwZQ5S-L.jpg

We ride out of Luchon and re-join the Route des Cols…

i-vxc3j8x-L.jpg

It’s a great ride, along some beautiful D class roads…

i-HZj3skk-L.jpg

Inevitably, we start climbing some cols…

i-5TVCFhT-L.jpg

…and to begin with, manage to stay below cloud…

i-bPfB8Kd-L.jpg

However, when we crest the Peyresourde, the weather ahead just looks nasty

i-XMrHQc5-L.jpg

We continue, passing cyclists – all looking thoroughly miserable – coming the other way…

i-HsdgqJF-L.jpg

We spot some Tepees at the side of the road…

i-kvsxKt9-L.jpg

…but our attention is drawn by the fantastic views opening up to our left…

i-McPDHcn-L.jpg

…and the sole parascender drifting far below…

i-hbX9vKK-L.jpg

Good asses…

i-mhxSFTv-L.jpg

The route we are riding will form part of the Tour de France in few weeks...

i-35Wk4kk-L.jpg

...and the local highways guys are doing some last minute resurfacing.

i-sW4p3dg-L.jpg

It’s difficult to spot the new gravel from the old road surface in the mottled light, so we reduce our speed accordingly…

i-p9PrzQQ-L.jpg

Onward!

i-KXJTtNV-L.jpg

We start climbing again, but this time the temperature has dropped and there’s a definite damp, cold feel to the air…

i-TbrvCSZ-L.jpg

The view back down the valley is stunning…

i-Gm42JLF-L.jpg

We just stay out of the cloud at Col d’Aspin…

i-9H7DB4F-L.jpg

…and continue towards Col de Tourmalet…

i-RkX4zkc-L.jpg

Where the weather is far less kind to us…

i-VSm2BDq-L.jpg

We enter cloud about eight klicks from the summit…

i-4zG8L3Z-L.jpg

I meet a van coming the other way (visibility is down to about three car-lengths) – with a couple on a 1200GS Adv WC overtaking it. If you are a poster on here – I’d keep my hazard lights on all the time if I were you – twat…

i-gVnhBbZ-L.jpg

By the time we reach the summit, we are both giggling like mad – it’s completely pointless…

i-SKZhQG3-L.jpg

…although the view makes it all worthwhile…

i-6dPKPhV-L.jpg

We rapidly start our descent and clear cloud quite early…

i-65G8CKt-L.jpg

Chilly up here, though…

i-sLxn3PH-L.jpg

The locals are not impressed…

i-WTg9FNt-L.jpg

It’s quite common for names to be written on the road surface by cycling fans encouraging their heroes to greater efforts…

i-rbvX63k-L.jpg

…however, someone here seems to have painted some Gentleman’s tadpoles on the road – and I’m not altogether sure what the message is they are trying to send…:eek

Hey-ho – time for a coffee…

i-kV6HmmN-L.jpg

Exactly on time a café appears on our left. We meet Lettice and her dog Fat…

i-vdHMdWw-L.jpg

Lettice speaks great English, having studied it at university and then spelt two years working in Liverpool.

i-wJQ7Qgm-L.jpg

We enjoy a coffee each, and a snack – carefully supervised by Fat…

i-kJV47kB-L.jpg

After settling the bill (and getting our CamelBaks filled with cold water), we set off once again…

i-pCD4rsX-L.jpg

Just down the road we encounter a series of stops for roadworks. Apparently this area was hit by severe flash floods a year or so ago…

i-sscQMF2-L.jpg

…and the evidence is clear that the work to reopen the road…

i-GgnTPGT-L.jpg

…has been extensive.

i-pTF8XwR-L.jpg

Peter’s GPS turns us up a narrow side road, and then a tiny narrow road back to the town centre…

i-6QLn7Vr-L.jpg

…where we stop for a replan.

i-mMH5wXG-L.jpg

We press on towards the Atlantic coast, following the river valley for a while…

i-TSn7wL3-L.jpg

Occasionally passing under avalanche shelters…

i-CDpNq2K-L.jpg

…and sometimes under steel catch-nets…

i-tbbVHWz-L.jpg

Peter’s GPS has a bit of a hissy fit and we seem to circle for a while. We check the paper map and sort the problem…

i-qMHcgZq-L.jpg

We spot the restaurant Arragnat at the side of the road and have their Plat du Jour…

i-b3ztXtR-L.jpg

…followed by a coffee…

Then it’s time to kit-up and set off again.

i-zgDqkqp-L.jpg

It seems a while since we’ve had a barn pic…

i-LwvpLGh-L.jpg

The weather ahead doesn’t look good. In fact it looks like Hell on toast…

i-CLqx4bB-L.jpg

We start the climb and very soon enter cloud. Peter is leading and comes across a sheep lying in the middle of the road. It moved by the time he got his camera out…

i-8krsXZB-L.jpg

In cloud, the visibility drops to about three car lengths. Since I wear glasses to ride, I’m continually wiping my lenses with my gloved fingers (my visor is open)…

i-q6hdK4T-L.jpg

Descending the other side of the Col de Soulous, I notice a dog in the middle of nowhere.

i-3GZqFxR-L.jpg

She has a gentle disposition and I wish I had some food to give her. There was no habitation nearby – perhaps she belongs to a shepherd?

i-jKhXZJN-L.jpg

Visibility gets worse and worse...

i-XfhJkkm-L.jpg

...until we both stop just after a short tunnel…

i-bVh68Kq-L.jpg

We agree to find somewhere to stop for the day after the next col…

i-45dSxkv-L.jpg

We meet up briefly with a couple of Germans – one of whom is riding a K1200S – not the bike I’d choose for these conditions…

Since my glasses are continually fogging up, I decide to remove them, but loop the arm through a strap on my tank bag in case I need them. Alas, when I stop again, this is all that remains…

i-DsktpFj-L.jpg

Bugger
bluduh.gif

Thankfully I have a spare pair.

Peter briefs me on where he intends to look for accommodation and tells me to go ahead, as he is arm-wrestling with his bike alarm again. I follow the route he describes to me (my GPS is working off ‘Base-Map’ as I wasn’t expecting to be travelling in this part of France) and wait at a vantage point to take a picture.

i-TLZhqXK-L.jpg

And wait.

And wait.

Eventually I decide he must have had snags getting the alarm and immobiliser to disengage and return to where I left him, but he’s not there. I slowly return to the town of Eaus-Bonnes, where I’d awaited him and look for a turn off he might have taken, without success.

Weird.

I stop at a café in plain sight and have a coffee, expecting him to appear at any time. Nothing.

i-qjpWFVk-L.jpg

Now, unbeknown to me when I set off, my mobile phone provider does not allow use on the continent. I use a pay-phone and find that we have (somehow) passed each other without seeing one another and that Peter’s in an hotel about 15 klicks away. I pay for my call and then make tracks, arriving at about 1700 – thirty minutes in advance of a downpour…

i-Wqg7b37-L.jpg

The Hotel France...

i-n7tDk4M-L.jpg

...has (for the first time in a few days) a reasonable Wi-Fi connection and I start uploading several hundred pictures to Smugmug…

i-TtcpjSW-L.jpg

After a shower I repair to the bar, where the barman takes me at my word when I ask for a large beer… :D

Excellent!

We stroll across the road to a small bar and have something to eat…

i-XcW9JDK-L.jpg

…followed by dessert…

i-WMnBk4T-L.jpg

Then we make our way across the damp village square…

i-JxLR3Rr-L.jpg

…to the hotel and call it a night.

Great day.

i-4nSJBsZ-L.jpg

3rd July 2014

Another restless night. I got up two or three times during the night and, when I did so, checked on the mammoth upload of photos I am doing to my Smugmug account.

At 04:30 or so, I start putting together a couple of the journals I’d had in rough draft. This takes until about 0600 and I then return to bed, to be awoken by a knock on the door from Peter at 0645.

It seems that there is some weather heading north from the Pyrenees into France and we need to get ahead of it.

I carry the gear down to the bike – it’s a cool, dank morning and there has clearly been a lot of rain overnight.

I pay the bill and we’re on the road at just after 0730.

i-XRjPSbz-L.jpg

Peter leads off through town and we join an interminable series of roads split by roundabouts, clogged with traffic and make very slow progress...

i-qpXWsFg-L.jpg

Eventually we join the Autoroute and start making tracks northward...

i-vFtxzhL-L.jpg

We set a cruise of 130kph...

i-MWNLC4t-L.jpg

...there's virtually no traffic on the road...

i-kZCFwrS-L.jpg

I've done up all the vents on my jacket and the temperature is comfortable...

i-WjZ6CQL-L.jpg

We make the first of several fuel stops...

i-Lb9Hpc9-L.jpg

I cannot believe they are charging €9.90 for a ham salad roll :eek

We get served by a cheerful young mademoiselle...

i-q8gHGMT-L.jpg

...and have one of the 'specials' that are merely extortionately priced...

i-shNrnGX-L.jpg

We plot up over breakfast and decide to head towards Tours as a nominal target for tonight...

i-vjrDW66-L.jpg

Once we are off the toll road, traffic increases considerably. The good news is that we're now well ahead of the weather and the sun's out...

i-cgzRwXt-L.jpg

We overtake a trio of Spaniards on GSes...

i-jmzTjFP-L.jpg

...just before stopping for lunch at a trucker's restaurant...

i-sTmWWJw-L.jpg

It's a hive of activity inside, but we're served quickly from a set menu...

i-vqkFvQg-L.jpg

All the food is tasty and (where appropriate) piping hot...

i-J2gZjkb-L.jpg

Peter asks me for the address for the B&B Hotel in Tours and enters it into his GPS. We set off again - the thermometer on my handlebars is reading in the high 90s...

i-TmF7C39-L.jpg

Anybody care to guess Make/Model/Year?

i-W9C3NhF-L.jpg

It's really warm now - we're both drinking continually from our Camelbaks...

i-WDTq7dm-L.jpg

i-T6HCS2T-L.jpg

We leapfrog this army convoy...

i-vqHWTCS-L.jpg

I can't make up my mind whether they are multi barrelled rocket launchers, or surface to air missile containers. The absence of any radar travelling with them makes me think it's probably the former - anyone know?

i-3GxLCm4-L.jpg

No prizes for guessing this one...

i-7CZzvrr-L.jpg

How about this one?

i-CzpRqq7-L.jpg

Twenty minutes out, Peter pulls into another Aire - good call...

i-GqnCHbd-L.jpg

It has been a long day...

i-b7CknJg-L.jpg

We get kitted up for the last leg and ride into Tours. We both spot the B&B hotel off to the right, but it seems Peter's GPS has other ideas. We end up deep in the centre of Tours - clearly not where this type of hotel is normally situated.

We become separated and I make my way back down the AutoRoute and get a room in the B&B we saw.

We'll both go our separate ways from here (Peter was going to leave in Kent to see his daughter on the way home anyway). I plan on an early night and an early start for Calais tomorrow...

i-8brWHqP-L.jpg

Great report.

I rode the Col de Tourmalet in visibility similar to yours a few years ago. I found it really hard work and hated it.

(Citroen H van, 1958 at a guess.)

4th July 2014

I sleep well and get up at 0500 to make a start for the Eurotunnel. I’m packed and riding off into a new day by 0600…

i-GNsdzBp-L.jpg

Who travels fastest, travels alone…

i-cgFXZVx-L.jpg

It's a similar day to the one when I set off from Scarning last Thursday, with a cool, crisp feel to the air and mist lying in the fields at the side of the AutoRoute...

i-nVscrnm-L.jpg

Can't see it lasting, though. There's clearly some weather ahead of me, as well as some nasty stuff behind. It's just a case of trying to stay in the middle... :D

i-4g6Kf4D-L.jpg

I have the speed set at 130kph and am listening to a BBC Podcast (Film Review shows with Simon Mayo & Mark Kermode)...

i-mnQPCmr-L.jpg

I stop at this weird little Aire for a quick coffee, then get back on the road...

i-Dx2TfdS-L.jpg

Whilst recaffeinating, I took the precaution of donning waterproof liners and gloves...

This pays dividends when it pisses down for 20 minutes or so. At the next fuel stop I revert to fine weather gear and that's the last I see of rain today :thumb

I arrive at Eurotunnel over a day early - it costs just €3 to get me on the next train...

i-TDtNLCm-L.jpg

Just time to stop for a burger...

i-drnwq4T-L.jpg

I'm soon ensconced in the metal tube with my fellow riders...

i-CLQt7Kk-L.jpg

...including Neil & Tracey, a couple on a KTM something or other, who are returning from a trip in the Pyrenees too.

We arrive in Folkestone a few minutes before we left Calais and, after a wave goodbye to Neil & Tracey, I stop to fill up at the Esso station at the terminal - a tankful will comfortably get me home from here.

i-QQ8H9Nv-L.jpg

It's a beautiful day and the roads are not too busy...

i-5MDCcv4-L.jpg

An old couple out for a spin...

i-3XKHFnC-L.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Traffic builds up considerably near the Dartford Tunnel and I have to filter (lane-split) for three miles or so. Once through the toll (free for bikes :thumb)...

i-SsjwCRN-L.jpg

...progress is a lot quicker.

I run into more traffic at the junction of the M25 and M11 (overtaking Neil & Tracey on their KTM :D)...

i-gGsR9nn-L.jpg

But once again, once clear of the knot of traffic at the junction, I can make good progress...

i-pDkWG9m-L.jpg

Somebody trailering their new project home (bit easy, this one)...

Before I know it I'm turning off the M11 and following the A11 towards Mildenhall. A mile or so short of the junction I come across a very recent collision - one truck has run into the back of another. It's quite clear that this will almost certainly be a serious injury accident, but there are plenty of people milling around talking on mobile phones, so I ride by - I see an ambulance heading that way as I take the road past Lakenheath...

I'm soon turning down the road through the splendidly named Daffy Green, before arriving home at 1445.

i-tbLnLrn-L.jpg

I'm knackered...

i-tFvg7tT-L.jpg

Knackered physically but I am sure in very high spirits after such a splendid journey. Thanks for taking us along and for the splendid pics. Mike, If I may ask, where and how do you mount your camera to take such well-composed shots when on the bike. It is an art I am yet to master.

Back
Top Bottom