Nav 5 just messing about Help!

He’s sourced a new motorcycle battery, has stopped worrying about fuel range, and presumably mended his GoPro.

Other posts point to him being back on his travels. We can only assume he’s bought a map, as this thread’s gone dead.
 
The suspense is killing me 🤣

Maybe he is still jumping up and down on his Nav5 for getting him lost?

I do think he had a corrupt map though, maybe he updated his maps before setting off and it went sideways?

"A brown screen combined with a route calculation that freezes or gets stuck exactly at 80% is a classic symptom of corrupted map data, overlapping maps, or a broken cross-border map routing link"
 
High All, sorry for the silence, just arrived at Burgas Black Sea 2300 plus miles on a variety of devices, switched to phone using myroute app. Quite temperamental but worked data permitting. Got turned round in kosovo as not allowed to enter serbia. Had to go back into kosovo, down into N Macedonia and across into Bulgaria.so I am here two days with good Internet access. I want to fix my nav 5. Is it worth just redownloading all Europe maps onto my nav? If so is there a link to guide me through it? Thanks , and no I didn't run out of petrol but battery went knackered on me!
 
High All, sorry for the silence, just arrived at Burgas Black Sea 2300 plus miles on a variety of devices, switched to phone using myroute app. Quite temperamental but worked data permitting. Got turned round in kosovo as not allowed to enter serbia. Had to go back into kosovo, down into N Macedonia and across into Bulgaria.so I am here two days with good Internet access. I want to fix my nav 5. Is it worth just redownloading all Europe maps onto my nav? If so is there a link to guide me through it? Thanks , and no I didn't run out of petrol but battery went knackered on me!
If you have access to a PC download Garmin express and re-download your European maps.

PS
Sounds quite the adventure 👍
 
I want to fix my nav 5. Is it worth just redownloading all Europe maps onto my nav?

Question 1. What maps do you have downloaded AND active at the moment?

You can check which map products are installed and active on your BMW Motorrad Navigator V by opening the myMaps menu in the device settings. [1]

Steps to Check Active Maps
    • From the main menu, select Settings.
    • Tap on Map & Vehicle.
    • Select myMaps (sometimes labeled as Map Info on related Garmin firmware versions).
    • View the list of installed map regions (such as City Navigator Europe NTU).

Managing Active Status
    • Active/Enabled: A checkmark or tick box next to the map name means the map layer is turned on and active.
    • Inactive/Disabled: Unchecked maps will not be used by the GPS for routing or display.
    • Toggling: Tap the checkbox next to a map name to enable or disable that specific file. For reliable routing, ensure only your primary up-to-date map set is ticked (having overlapping or mismatched map versions enabled simultaneously can cause routing errors or suppress voice directions).

Question 2. Assuming your maps are active (which is one hell of an assumption) when you zoom in on, say, Rome or Sofia or where you are now standing, can you see the detailed roads?

Question 3. From where you are standing, can you create a simple route to somewhere 20 miles away?

To answer your question:

You can update the software and maps on your BMW Motorrad Navigator V by connecting it to a computer running the Garmin Express software. Because the Navigator V is manufactured by Garmin for BMW, it uses Garmin's update tool rather than a BMW car USB method.

Step-by-Step Update Guide
    • Install Garmin Express: Download and install the Garmin Express application on your Windows PC or Mac computer.
    • Connect the Device: Plug your Navigator V into the computer using a compatible micro-USB data cable.
    • Add Your Device: Open Garmin Express, click Add a Device, and follow the on-screen prompts to register or recognize your Navigator V.
    • Check for Updates: Once connected, the software will automatically search for available firmware, system software, and map updates.
    • Install Updates: Click Install All or View Details to choose specific updates. Ensure your device stays plugged in and connected to the internet until the process finishes completely.
Note: If you are doing a large map update, the Navigator V's internal memory may fill up. You might need to insert a FAT32-formatted microSD card (up to 64GB) so the software can store the extra map data.

PS. As you are in south east Europe, you won’t (I hope) need to download maps of Portugal or the Nordics or, indeed, Ireland.

:beerjug:
 
High All, sorry for the silence, just arrived at Burgas Black Sea 2300 plus miles on a variety of devices, switched to phone using myroute app. Quite temperamental but worked data permitting. Got turned round in kosovo as not allowed to enter serbia. Had to go back into kosovo, down into N Macedonia and across into Bulgaria.so I am here two days with good Internet access. I want to fix my nav 5. Is it worth just redownloading all Europe maps onto my nav? If so is there a link to guide me through it? Thanks , and no I didn't run out of petrol but battery went knackered on me!
If you have access to a PC download Garmin express and re-download your European maps.

PS
Sounds quite the adventure 👍
Thank you , yes it has been. Chilling now, if sorting garmin is chilling!
 
Question 1. What maps do you have downloaded AND active at the moment?



Question 2. Assuming your maps are active (which is one hell of an assumption) when you zoom in on, say, Rome or Sofia or where you are now standing, can you see the detailed roads?

Question 3. From where you are standing, can you create a simple route to somewhere 20 miles away?

To answer your question:

You can update the software and maps on your BMW Motorrad Navigator V by connecting it to a computer running the Garmin Express software. Because the Navigator V is manufactured by Garmin for BMW, it uses Garmin's update tool rather than a BMW car USB method.

Step-by-Step Update Guide
    • Install Garmin Express: Download and install the Garmin Express application on your Windows PC or Mac computer.
    • Connect the Device: Plug your Navigator V into the computer using a compatible micro-USB data cable.
    • Add Your Device: Open Garmin Express, click Add a Device, and follow the on-screen prompts to register or recognize your Navigator V.
    • Check for Updates: Once connected, the software will automatically search for available firmware, system software, and map updates.
    • Install Updates: Click Install All or View Details to choose specific updates. Ensure your device stays plugged in and connected to the internet until the process finishes completely.
Note: If you are doing a large map update, the Navigator V's internal memory may fill up. You might need to insert a FAT32-formatted microSD card (up to 64GB) so the software can store the extra map data.

PS. As you are in south east Europe, you won’t (I hope) need to download maps of Portugal or the Nordics or, indeed, Ireland.

:beerjug:
Thank you. I will have a go later. Fortunately the hotel have kind agreed to help me sort this. Will all posted.
 
Whilst you wait for the hotel, maybe fire up the device to see which maps ARE loaded and active? You can do it over the canapés.

:beerjug:
 
Hi, apologies for not responding to your kind responses to my problems, by the way the bike has done 63mpg so far, the battery is fine now, I just didn't have access to a computer to sort satnav so used phone. So as of now the device has new software downloaded onto it from garmin. How do I find the maps section to see what's loaded?
 
Hi All, I have europe dem, cn europe ntu, and cn europe ntu 2019.30 Western europe all ticked.
 
Hi All, I have europe dem,

No idea what this does. Google suggests elevation data
cn europe ntu,

what version? Is this the complete Europe map?
and cn europe ntu 2019.30 Western europe all ticked.

if the one above is the whole of Europe then the existence of this very old Western subset might be why the device got confused when you got to the border of that region.

You should have CN Europe NTU All North and CN Europe NTU All South both in 2027.10 versions

My advice is to get the device to where only these two map segments are present. Hopefully you then find it works as designed.
 
Just installing a memory card on my nav as not enough memory as you've said. Is the card configured as fat32 or exfat32?
 
Just installing a memory card on my nav as not enough memory as you've said. Is the card configured as fat32 or exfat32?
FAT32 and no larger than 32GB as the ancient operating system can't cope with a larger one
 
update, newer map version available 2027.20

as I have my routes in place for a trip in 2 weeks, I will not install that update until I get home
 
I'm installing a 64gb sd card configured fat32 will this be OK or is the max card 32gb?
 
Got to the maps, I re read your post. Picking up a 32gb sd card in morning and fitting to download a full map set (south and north) as previous response. Apologies if this has already been answered but I've unpicked all the maps on the device. Will garmin express over write this when I download the 2027 north and south files?
 
I suspect - guess - the maps (or whatever it was you loaded, presumably at home) are held on the SD card. As soon as you take the card out of the device, whatever is on the card will I assume, vanish with it.

Put the new card into your device and follow the instructions. If you want to check how to install maps to your device, Google: How do I install maps to my Garmin Navigator V?

Once Garmin has done its thing. Check that the maps are installed correctly and activated. How to do that is in this thread or ask Google: How do I check which maps are installed and active on my Garmin Navigator V?

To check again, go to say London on the Nav V’s screen and zoom in? Are all the streets there? Do the same in say, Helsinki, Rome, Paris, Berlin and Lisbon, along with any towns and villages inbetween. All there? Looking good, Houston. Then try asking the device to take you from where you are standing, to say 50 miles away. Does it work? Yes? Looking good, still. Then try to load and run one of your (possibly) rediculously long routes….. if it works, job done.

If it doesn’t work, you’ll have to amend the route(s) and find a way to send it / them to your device. Or, amend the route on the device itself.

You might well be wise to do all this, while you are at the hotel and able to use the bikerfriendly hotelier’s PC. The good news is that you apparently created your X thousand mile long routes(s) in MyRoute, which you should be able to access from the hotelier’s PC. Had you created them in BaseCamp or MapSource, you might well be stuffed, unless you saved a copy somewhere accessible.

Good luck!

IMG_0587.jpeg

Have fun!

Let us know how you get on, please.

:beerjug:

PS I’d buy the hotelier a decent bottle of wine, before I left. Or, if not possible, I’d send him one from home on my return. He might well have saved your hide.
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom