New style GPS retrofit

The parts for the new style nav mount should arrive tomorrow

I ordered them from Rob at Cotswold Motarrad. Very helpful guy
Says you can use the existing nuts and bolts off the key locking mount as same part numbers....saved a few quid

I queried why it needs a new lead. Seems the older key one us hard wired into the mount and the newer style has plugs at either end

I will just put the original mount back on when I sell this bike
good to know - please do update us with how easy this is to fit

thanks
 
New mount fitted....pretty straightforward except BMW connectors are evil, explain later

Needed to remove screen, winglets, deflectors, nav bar mount, front beak, radar cover

Had removed all the above bits before on jobs, except the bar mount and the radar cover

Bar mount, 2 bolts at the top

Radar cover, 2 spring type clips at the bottom. Always stressful that you are applying too much pressure, but they do pop out. BMW instructions show where to apply the pressure

If you have the electric screen you will have to have it at the uppermost position

20260912_104404.jpg
20260912_104406.jpg


If you have the rally version, instructions show removal of the RH indicator
I have the BMW instructions in a pdf file, if anyone wants a copy, PM me with you email and I can send it - I am away after today until a week Tuesday.

The evil connector

20260912_113202.jpg

The above is the one on the old unit. There is a central piece that slides into a fixed holder with a spear like head that needs moving over to the side and a clip to the side that needs releasing which handily is underneath. I couldn't get the connector to slide out of the holder and broke the spear thing off. It still works, still slides on, so replacing the old holder won't cause an issue

20260912_113934.jpg

Connected the new mount up and tested the locking before reassembly....it worked

The insructions give guidance on how much lead to leave out of the top of the radar cover, but easier to do it by eye

5 zip ties and boom!

The nuts on the new mount are captive, so only needed to use the bolts off the old one

20260912_113022.jpg

End result....looks better
Can't use my Wunderlich sun shade as it covers the release button at the bottom of the mount

Final test

20260912_113603.jpg

Got the stuff from Rob Barrett at Cotswold Motarrad. He did me 10% discount and included postage

He knew straight away the bits needed

20260912_125844.jpg

20260912_125848.jpg
 
Mine came with this new nav mount. I also have the Wunderlich sun shade on the speedo. As a result, it's too tight to get a finger in to the release button. I find the release can be activated using the bike's key, which is long enough and slim enough.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HGS
New mount fitted....pretty straightforward except BMW connectors are evil, explain later

Needed to remove screen, winglets, deflectors, nav bar mount, front beak, radar cover

Had removed all the above bits before on jobs, except the bar mount and the radar cover

Bar mount, 2 bolts at the top

Radar cover, 2 spring type clips at the bottom. Always stressful that you are applying too much pressure, but they do pop out. BMW instructions show where to apply the pressure

If you have the electric screen you will have to have it at the uppermost position

View attachment 538285
View attachment 538290


If you have the rally version, instructions show removal of the RH indicator
I have the BMW instructions in a pdf file, if anyone wants a copy, PM me with you email and I can send it - I am away after today until a week Tuesday.

The evil connector

View attachment 538286

The above is the one on the old unit. There is a central piece that slides into a fixed holder with a spear like head that needs moving over to the side and a clip to the side that needs releasing which handily is underneath. I couldn't get the connector to slide out of the holder and broke the spear thing off. It still works, still slides on, so replacing the old holder won't cause an issue

View attachment 538287

Connected the new mount up and tested the locking before reassembly....it worked

The insructions give guidance on how much lead to leave out of the top of the radar cover, but easier to do it by eye

5 zip ties and boom!

The nuts on the new mount are captive, so only needed to use the bolts off the old one

View attachment 538288

End result....looks better
Can't use my Wunderlich sun shade as it covers the release button at the bottom of the mount

Final test

View attachment 538291

Got the stuff from Rob Barrett at Cotswold Motarrad. He did me 10% discount and included postage

He knew straight away the bits needed

View attachment 538292

View attachment 538293


Instead of replacing with the new style holder I just took my massive block of plastic off.

If you have a set of pics, it's relatively easy to get at the bits of the connector which allow you to remove it without breaking anything.

I did it in two steps. First from the top I removed the bottom part of the clip which belongs to the bike. Then for the bit that belongs to the holder which clips to the bike. You can get a it from underneath with a straight pick and it will just lift off
 
Fair enough, but I wanted the central locking aspect as well
 
Fair enough, but I wanted the central locking aspect as well
Would be possible to upload the instructions pdf online and provide a link to download? Much appreciated if possible.
 
11mb like so I don't have it anywhere other than on my home pc
 


Back
Top Bottom