Normandy 80th Anniversary.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will be starting my long EU tour with a week around the Normandy beaches for the D-day events. Not expecting to see any veterans nowadays for the 80th.
I'm camping so, will stay somewhere along the UK / Canadian sector. Last year camped by Gold beach.

Any other Tossers visiting there also?

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Stayed here last year in the van, not very big all you need from a campsite & clean.

AlC626421E-722F-47B1-9946-DFD8604A4076.jpeg

I ended up staying at Asnelles, NR. Gold beach.

I visited the Arramanche one but, it was only for motorhomes and automatic payment. Reason went to the above which was OK. A mini Carrefore round the corner.

I will be there with a couple of other guys from this parish. We will be at Camping Omaha Beach, which is a place I’ve used many times before and it’s always been good 👍

Myself and one of the other guys are then going to head south and just mooch as he’s riding down to Portugal and I’ll swing round at some point and head home.

I will be there with a couple of other guys from this parish. We will be at Camping Omaha Beach, which is a place I’ve used many times before and it’s always been good 👍

Myself and one of the other guys are then going to head south and just mooch as he’s riding down to Portugal and I’ll swing round at some point and head home.

You ought to follow the course of the armies. South to Le Mans and then swing up to close the gap at Falaise.

I will be starting my long EU tour with a week around the Normandy beaches for the D-day events. Not expecting to see any veterans nowadays for the 80th.
I'm camping so, will stay somewhere along the UK / Canadian sector. Last year camped by Gold beach.

Any other Tossers visiting there also?

I attended the 75th anniversary and there were still quite a few veterans kicking around, some quite sprightly (including a couple who parachuted out of Dakota’s at Ranville on the 5th June :cool: ), some very frail.

I’ve booked an apartment in Ver-Sur-Mer for the 80th as it will probably be the last major commemoration with any veterans present :cry:

IMG_3212.jpeg

I attended the 75th anniversary and there were still quite a few veterans kicking around, some quite sprightly (including a couple who parachuted out of Dakota’s at Ranville on the 5th June :cool: ), some very frail.

I’ve booked an apartment in Ver-Sur-Mer for the 80th as it will probably be the last major commemoration with any veterans present :cry:

View attachment 299116
Maybe see you on the beaches.

Not sure if it's of interest. Camping Omaha Beach like a lot of French sites I imagine, have a few extra offerings post pandemic, and checking last week they still had availability of "Premium Equipped Pitches" where you get a camping pitch for tent / tents, but your own kitchenette / sink / wc / Shower.

They've also got "Cycling Lodges" for those that want to camp, but not take the tent :)

I've no affiliation with them, just a place I have been happy using for a number of years now, it's above Omaha beach, with a direct patch from the campsite that you can walk down to Omaha on.

freecamp.jpg

velo-lodge-2-1024x682.jpg

View attachment 299116

I was at that drop zone on the 5th. It was quite a spectacle seeing 20 Dakotas fly over dropping a sky full of paras.

IMG_20190605_192251516.jpgIMG_20190605_191437196~2.jpg

A fine idea, thank you sir👍

If you do stop a Falaise I can recommend this hotel.

If you do stop a Falaise I can recommend this hotel.

We visited the Falaise Gap memorial on tour last year

IMG_4179.jpegIMG_4176.jpegIMG_4175.jpegIMG_4174.jpegIMG_4170.jpeg

I shall be there again this year, first went for the 50th anniversary, however will be in campervan this year with peddly bikes as there are usually lots of closures and restrictions.
Can usually get around a bit easier by bicycle.

I visit every year. Last 15 years leading fellow bikers on tours. Since 1975, Each year its changed. There has to be a balance to investment, and history. Today, sadly its one huge tourist destination. With the army I unveiled several memorials and statues, My favourite being Montgomery at Colleville-Montgomery. The last anniversary visit was 70th. And since have chosen not to visit during the big anniversaries. Treble costs on Hotels, food and beers. Road closures and general chaos. Its a shame, but I guess the interest demands it. This year, I've decided to stay in the UK during the celebrations, and after lots of research, there is much going on. Portsmouth especially. A change is needed. And the weather will be great !

I'll be there for 10 days from 1st June. Camping in Raids. Crossing at Newhaven. Travelling by R1250RT. Will say hi if I see any of you guys.

Was also there in 2019 for the 75th. Again camping but that time in Martragny. Lovely site but seems no longer to be in operation. Drove there in a Land Rover Defender.

NOR-1.jpgNOR-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom