Normandy, beaches, food and thoughts

Jeremy

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
439
Location
Devon
Day 1:
We, Peter on a 1200GSA, Kevin on a 1300GS and me on a 12 G/S left a wet and windy Portsmouth for Caen on the 0800hrs Brittany Ferries earlier today, arriving into Caen at 1500hrs local time to sunshine. In stark contrast to my experience on the Liverpool Belfast ferry, this French ferry was in a class of it's own i.e. nothing was deep fried or micro waved. From the full Anglais breakfast to lunch, cleanliness, politeness of the staff, efficiency of the guys strapping down the bikes, it was excellent. Well worth the £81 return journey for the 6hr trip.

When I thought about posting a thread about the trip, I was initially excited about three mates riding through France enjoying company, history, food and wine with the odd twisty road. But, at our first stop at Pegasus Bridge, a few miles from the ferry terminal, I was immediately struck by the sacrifice of our brave boys, and girls, especially on June 6th 1944. Suddenly all the chat we had on the ferry about the trivial pursuits of live seemed irrelevant, almost disrespectful when compared to their sacrifice. It would be easy to write on but I will let the pictures do the talking.
82DA62F3-986D-4A6D-80A3-F15A2D37C6C2_4_5005_c.jpeg
EA065D7C-C2E0-4D55-A9D4-DBF916960D3E_4_5005_c.jpeg
E7D3A749-B2FC-484C-8DA9-DFE40BD4CD94_4_5005_c.jpeg
26F28D85-613C-4000-AA35-58F432AB84D6_4_5005_c.jpeg
BE01FD02-DBE2-49DD-862E-96C03CB1CADE_4_5005_c.jpeg
7EAEA08C-E9AE-4B7D-BE38-224625DDAB83_4_5005_c.jpeg
This evening, we enjoyed true French cooking, wine and hospitality at Le Bouchon du Vaugaueux in Caen. We would all happily return to this restaurant and the Eur42 three course meal of terrine, pork chop and cheese was perfect. A must do if you are visiting Caen.

Peter, is however banned from ever booking a hotel for the group again. Yes, if you want budget, then the Eur75 B&B Caen Sud hard shoulder, petrol fumed, truck noise hotel, and I use the term loosely, is the spot. The noise of the traffic will at least blot out his inhuman snoring, It was a Eur20 Uber ride into town to Rue du Vaugeux.
57D3A54C-38DF-473C-BA03-83D5C4615CA2_4_5005_c.jpeg
8589760F-E586-456C-90AC-C3E9B42DC976_4_5005_c.jpeg
Day 2 reports to follow.

Jeremy
 
Fantastic, enjoy!!


When visiting Omaha beach, if indeed you are, you must visit this place for the most wonderful Cidre,
Ferme de La SAPINIERE

and for Lunch:

La Sapinière​

(Similar names but no relations to one another)

 
Day 2:
We spent the morning at the Caen Memorial Museum and would recommend you allow 3hrs to get around it. It opens at 930am, has plenty of free parking.
D8367556-C05D-4288-A9CB-6C179811CC45_1_105_c.jpeg
8916547A-08C1-43BE-8F6B-6AFBC6526D5D_1_105_c.jpeg
Then we rode 21km from Caen to the Juno Beach Centre and walked 10mins to a lunch of seafood stew at Le Quai Est. The museum details the history of the Canadian forces in Normandy. By the time we left for a stroll on Juno beach, we all had tears in our eyes. You can't help but be staggered at the imagery and videos in the museum. Take a tissue or two.
FC8F4066-6F0B-46F3-843C-9D20E323EC4D_1_105_c.jpeg
8ED58071-BEB9-4ECA-B576-15D0F21906E4_1_105_c.jpeg
348B7445-16DE-47B7-89B6-79CFF4964E07_1_105_c.jpeg
FE3C1394-D443-4F55-B915-748789E8EE46_1_105_c.jpeg
Both museums took a toll so we headed to our AirBnB located a short walk from Bayeux. If you're planning a trip here on the bike or with the better half, I can strongly recommend this place as a venue to base yourself from. For four nights, it's Eur825. There's a LeClerc supermarket 2km from the AirBnB for everything you need.
D0219383-8462-451F-9E9A-5C0DFB7D88B9_1_105_c.jpeg
1790975119691.jpgB042134B-B564-4B90-905C-A0900E7C3FEC_1_105_c.jpeg
A friendly local recommended Chateau Saint Gilles a few km from our stay. Great food especially with a Eur42 fixed price three course meal.

Jeremy
 
Suddenly all the chat we had on the ferry about the trivial pursuits of live seemed irrelevant, almost disrespectful when compared to their sacrifice.
I completely understand your concerns about trivialising or even disrespecting the sacrifices of past generations. I used to lead WW1 battlefield tours and I sometimes wrestled with similar thoughts, especially when the teens on the bus were belting out "Tipperary" or the like and thoroughly enjoying the experience. I came to the conclusion that their antecedents of the WW1 generation were of a similar age and did exactly the same at the time. If they were "looking down" now, they would have shared in that pleasure and the sheer joy of youngsters enjoying the freedoms they fought for. That applies to us oldies too! Naturally, behaviour depends on the context and there were opportunities for quiet reflection and gratitude too. That'll be the same for you.

The point is that you are there in the first place. That's the important thing. Enjoy!
:beerjug:
 
I completely understand your concerns about trivialising or even disrespecting the sacrifices of past generations. …..

Exactly right.

There is no point or need to turn every visit into a funeral procession. Respect and decent behaviour (just as you should in any graveyard) yes. Anything else, no.
 
Exactly right.

There is no point or need to turn every visit into a funeral procession. Respect and decent behaviour (just as you should in any graveyard) yes. Anything else, no.
Agreed
Respectful and be interested - but they wouldn’t want their sacrifice to deter others from living a good life
 
I do like a good Normandy ride report
The beaches, cemeteries & museums are certainly thought provoking
You didn’t visit Gonderee cafe while you were at Pegasus bridge ? I wonder is Madame G still hard at it
One thing I would definitely recommend is the 360 theatre on the hill above Arromanches

Looking forward to hearing how you got on touring on the R12G/S….
 


Back
Top Bottom