Perhaps a new Super Tenere.....

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently inherited some money so thought I may treat myself to a new bike after Christmas. I really like my Guzzi Stelvio NTX, but after two stelvios in nearly the last six years I'm fancying a change. I suppose if I hadn't been left the money I may well have kept the Guzzi for a couple more years.

I started looking about at various bikes, I want another adventure style bike as I feel very comfortable with the upright riding positions, I'm not too taken with full fairings or naked bikes. I loved the look of the Ducati Multistrada especially in red, and also the KTM 1190 adv std, but I just don't need 150bhp, and the complexities of these bikes. The Kawasaki 1000 versys is out as I'm not a lover of big fours, so I had a look at the new V Strom 1000, nice looking bike again in the red for me, there's no questioning the reliability either, and a good deal lighter than the Stelvio, but there was something about the finish of the bike that left me a bit cold, so I've been reading up on the Super Tenere.

I popped into my local Yam dealer this morning and they have a few blue standard 2014 models in stock, £10,030 OTR. But they would supply and fit a centre stand, rear carrier, and Oxford heated grips for an extra £350. The P/ex offer is OK but I may be able to get another couple of hundred, I suppose it depends how desperate the dealer is to shift the bikes. The one with all the fancy electric suspension, heated grips, stand etc was £1600 dearer. I'm not sure I like the idea of this complicated and expensive suspension, its something else to go wrong (I'm a bit of a Luddite)

I have a Hepco and Becker top box and an SW motec tank bag that will fit, so I just need to consider some panniers. The Yamaha ones looked OK, with enough space, but not as strong looking as the TRAX items I have on the Stelvio. I'm not intending to do much off road riding so an expensive heavy duty aluminium set up may be wasted. The Yamaha seems to be very user friendly and fairly easy to maintain. I know it has a very good reputation for reliability, and I can easily place both feet flat on the ground with the seat on the lowest setting. The rear seat looks comfortable and big enough for my wife who occassionaly rides pillion, so now hoping I will be impressed with the test ride next month.

Any advice from Super Tenere owners gladly accepted.

No I think I prefer shaft drive and the chunkier looks of the Super10.

Reliability seems very good, at least for the first 130,000 miles:

http://pnwtenere.com/2014/12/02/chris-and-his-high-milage-super-tenere/

A few are around with 100k+ and many now past 50k with very little going wrong, not heard of a single shaft failure, the odd seal here and there, and nearly always a simple to replace outer seal - and they weep for ages so unlikely to be more than a minor inconvenience.

I too prefer to avoid electronic suspension, just more to go wrong, and I would rather buy high quality aftermarket stuff, but do understand the appeal for many folk - especially those who change bikes before it will wear out, or the motors and cables all start seizing up.

I found the Yamaha panniers a bit small for two-up touring, but if the volume seems OK for you then they are very cheap, and tuck in really well....

I have the Trax and they are a bit wide, however they look good and quality is fairly decent, OK not MM good, but for the price they are not too bad, the locks used to be crap, and the Rack Mounting bolts are low quality (they corroded in place after a couple of years) and whilst whingeing / ordering new ones I also mentioned the poor locks, Chainspeed who I bought the kit off arranged for the bolts and locks FOC so I was impressed with the service.

If the 2014 heated grips are as crap as my 2011 ones you will find the Oxford ones much better and about 1/4 of the cost :thumb2

The rear is not as roomy as a GS, and the SW top box sits a bit too far forward cramping the pillion into the rider, I had the mount plate machines to move the box back about 2 inches which worked a treat (and have heard others complain of this positioning, and me and the Mrs are not large people) I still have the modified plate if anyone ever needs to do the same.

Hopefully you current top box will fit the bill.

Thanks Rasher. I've seen you posting on the S10 forum. I'll probably join it if/when I buy one.

I went from a 1200GS to a S10
Cracking bike very underated
Good on fuel, comfortable 1 and 2 up, handles well, reliable, fast enough, and not as common as muck
I am very happy with mine :thumb2

Johnny: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum - it's free to subscribe but they are very happy to receive donations

I went from an 11 year old R1150GS to a year old Super Tenere in Jan 2011. Like you, Johnny, I wasn't convinced the R1200GS was an option due to the awful record with reliability.

The S10 has been great. In those 3 and a bit years I have used it only for leisure trips, going to Austria, Italy, Germany and all over France. I've only been racking up about 5000 miles a year but I have enjoyed riding the S10.

There has been 1 recall for a headlamp harness. Nothing has broken apart from a bolt going AWOL from the bar end weight (probably my fault as I didn't do it up tight enough after fitting heated grips). Otherwise, the only costs have been servicing & consumables in around 20,000 miles.

Due to moving around a bit in the last few years, I have used 3 different Yamaha dealers and they have all been pleasant to deal with, offering free loan bikes at service time.

If I change the bike in the next few years then Yamaha are going to be at the top of the list, probably from the MT-09 range as my only gripe is that since being quite unwell recently, I am finding the S10 a heavy bastard when getting it in/out of the garage. That's more a gripe about me becoming older rather than a failing of the S10, which is a similar weight to other bikes in the same category.

Johnny: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum - it's free to subscribe but they are very happy to receive donations

I went from an 11 year old R1150GS to a year old Super Tenere in Jan 2011. Like you, Johnny, I wasn't convinced the R1200GS was an option due to the awful record with reliability.

The S10 has been great. In those 3 and a bit years I have used it only for leisure trips, going to Austria, Italy, Germany and all over France. I've only been racking up about 5000 miles a year but I have enjoyed riding the S10.

There has been 1 recall for a headlamp harness. Nothing has broken apart from a bolt going AWOL from the bar end weight (probably my fault as I didn't do it up tight enough after fitting heated grips). Otherwise, the only costs have been servicing & consumables in around 20,000 miles.

Due to moving around a bit in the last few years, I have used 3 different Yamaha dealers and they have all been pleasant to deal with, offering free loan bikes at service time.

If I change the bike in the next few years then Yamaha are going to be at the top of the list, probably from the MT-09 range as my only gripe is that since being quite unwell recently, I am finding the S10 a heavy bastard when getting it in/out of the garage. That's more a gripe about me becoming older rather than a failing of the S10, which is a similar weight to other bikes in the same category.

Thanks for that insight

I think I'll pop over to Robinsons at Rochdale and have a ride on one

Fatal, get the dealer to throw in the air deflector "wings" too, they make a big difference to the airflow around you and for me made the standard screen excellent.

I have Daytona after market heated grips, very good.

The only thing I don't like about the bike is the power restrictions in 1st; 2nd and 3rd on my 2013 model year version. Even solo without luggage it means that it feels flat when trying to do a quick overtake on a short straight. A trip to Hilltop will probably sort that and I understand that the current models don't have the same restrictions anyway.

I spent the first six months of ownership checking the oil level prior to every trip, habit after having an 1150. As it hasn't used a drop of oil between services my paranoia has started to fade.

I've had my set of Verns Worldbeaters panniers fitted to the bike, narrower than the bars at 95cm across, look good too. Even with these fitted touring at legal speeds I easily got >250 miles from a single 23 litre tank of fuel. I seem to remember there was about 3 litres left in the tank.

At least the top yoke wouldn't be abused:D

Nothing doing until Spring............I'm sure the S10 will eclipse the 12 GS WC, for my taste

I'm sure it will!:comfort:p

All joking aside, it looks like a nice bit of kit.:thumb

At least the top yoke wouldn't be abused:D

Nothing doing until Spring............I'm sure the S10 will eclipse the 12 GS WC, for my taste

From one over weight, underpowered bike to another - I'm sure you'll love it ;)

...........................The only thing I don't like about the bike is the power restrictions in 1st; 2nd and 3rd on my 2013 model year version. Even solo without luggage it means that it feels flat when trying to do a quick overtake on a short straight. A trip to Hilltop will probably sort that and I understand that the current models don't have the same restrictions anyway......................

Kev, I'm sure I've read that it's a very simple job to remove the restriction by disconecting a couple of wires - whatever, I know it's very easily sorted :)

Andres

Power isn't everything, it's how you use what you've got

Never been into fast speeds, it scares me:eek:

Merry Chrimbo

Joking aside, when I replaced my GS the shortlist was a Stelvio ('cos it's a Guzzi!), the S10 ('cos it's a brilliant, reliable, does what it says on the tin' bike) and the 1190R which obviously won out in the end - TBH honest Id've been happy with any of them :)

Obviously though, the KTM is the far better bike, obviously.................. ;)

Have a good Christmas yerself young man :beerjug:

Andres

Back
Top Bottom