Purchasing advice please

Never needed one. I’ve been Mac user since 2009

Apple release various software & security updates on a regular basis, with free new operating system software releases every year. Same as iPhone or iPad OS
Probably not. I use Bitdefender on all three of my Macs and I've never had it find anything malicious on any of them.
Thank you both
👍

I’ve had the 15” Pro for over 5 years and I was just comparing like with like.

I’ve never used AV on my Mac either.
My current 15” MB PRO is 10 years old now. With Original battery. Upgraded processor i7, 512gb SSD, with 16gb RAM… apart from not supporting the latest OS for the past 3 years, it is still stinking fast and does everything I ask of it. However, certain graphics software I use, is no longer supported, so it is a case of a must rather than want to upgrade.

Probably will do a similar thing and uprate hardware to future proof it and will likely to cost me £3k, but if it means next 10 years are solid, then it isn’t that bad.

My current 15” MB PRO is 10 years old now. With Original battery. Upgraded processor i7, 512gb SSD, with 16gb RAM… apart from not supporting the latest OS for the past 3 years, it is still stinking fast and does everything I ask of it. However, certain graphics software I use, is no longer supported, so it is a case of a must rather than want to upgrade.

Probably will do a similar thing and uprate hardware to future proof it and will likely to cost me £3k, but if it means next 10 years are solid, then it isn’t that bad.
I agree, mine still works fine. No issues in over 5 years and then yesterday I tipped a glass of water over it 🤦‍♂️ still working today though…

macOS Sonoma 14.0 was released last night and I installed it. Having launched Bitdefender just now, I see it's running painfully slowly in comparison with what it did before.

MacBook Air, I'm on my 2nd now, its an M1, which is good enough for me, as I see no point in upgrading, but they are M2 now.
Costco link, but John Lewis if you prefer or maybe a refurbished M1 from Apple:

REFURBED Mac cost as much as the brand new one does. Makes no sense whatsoever.

MacBook Pro ..... worth every penny. Use it at home, take it away on the 'bike with me.
Goes everywhere in the Camper .... even stream MotoGP :thumby:

13" Retina display.

Never used Anti Virus on any of my Macs.

Yes, expensive but bulletproof .... and future proof :thumby:

:beerjug:

I was checking out the Mac Air yesterday, very nice.

I have a Canon Pixma MP640 printer with lots of spare cartridges.

I’d be grateful if anyone could help me find a driver for it as it’s had very little use and would be a waste to bin it because of the ‘Air’

Thanks

A mac will probably run your printer without any additional drivers. Some of the peripheral functions may not work though.

My ancient Canon printer has no drivers other than what come with mac OS and prints fine, but the ink level monitor is possibly not as good as the dedicated Canon software.

A mac will probably run your printer without any additional drivers. Some of the peripheral functions may not work though.

My ancient Canon printer has no drivers other than what come with mac OS and prints fine, but the ink level monitor is possibly not as good as the dedicated Canon software.
Thank you Cookie that’s very reassuring.

As you’re a fan of JL, don’t forget they have a 2 year warranty as standard on most goods and still have a price match promise I think? Oohhh and every so often you get a free cup of tea or bottle of Prosecco if you have a inhouse account.
I can’t see why you can’t do everything you need on an iPad personally and storing pictures etc on iCloud works well for me.

Think in terms of spec rather than brand, for that price range look for i7, 16 or 32GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. If you get a 365 subscription you will get 1TB of onedrive storage to drop your stuff in to.

In terms of brand, go with something you’ve heard of.

As you’re a fan of JL, don’t forget they have a 2 year warranty as standard on most goods and still have a price match promise I think? Oohhh and every so often you get a free cup of tea or bottle of Prosecco if you have a inhouse account.
I can’t see why you can’t do everything you need on an iPad personally and storing pictures etc on iCloud works well for me.
Dedicated keyboard, track(mouse)pad.

You do not get these as standard with an iPad (would have to be a 12.9” iPad Pro), unless you buy a dedicated case with these built in. Which naturally would make it a much more expensive option.

I was checking out the Mac Air yesterday, very nice.

I have a Canon Pixma MP640 printer with lots of spare cartridges.

I’d be grateful if anyone could help me find a driver for it as it’s had very little use and would be a waste to bin it because of the ‘Air’

Thanks
I am sure that you could download some supporting software from canon website. However as already has been said, your MacBook Air should work perfectly fine without the drivers that you think you will need.

I thought that you kind gents deserved a quick update after taking the time to offer me advice.

I went ahead and bought an M2 MacBook Air along with a Magic Mouse and Samsung external hard drive.

I’ve already attended a “How to” lesson at the Apple Store which had a very low bar so only filled in a few basic ’Mac’ knowledge gaps - I’ve still got plenty - Google and You Tube are useful resources.

I can see that I’ll probably end up buying an MS add on as I miss the ‘proper’ Word program.

It’s a very slim, well made and very fast bit of kit. I just need a suitable sleeve now.

Thank you everyone for the advice.
It’s now down to time and my own endeavours.

👍

I thought that you kind gents deserved a quick update after taking the time to offer me advice.

I went ahead and bought an M2 MacBook Air along with a Magic Mouse and Samsung external hard drive.

I’ve already attended a “How to” lesson at the Apple Store which had a very low bar so only filled in a few basic ’Mac’ knowledge gaps - I’ve still got plenty - Google and You Tube are useful resources.

I can see that I’ll probably end up buying an MS add on as I miss the ‘proper’ Word program.

It’s a very slim, well made and very fast bit of kit. I just need a suitable sleeve now.

Thank you everyone for the advice.
It’s now down to time and my own endeavours.

👍
Sleeves or case ?

These are very good
https://www.i-blason.com/products/macbook-air-13-inch-2018-release-halo-transparent-case-black

As are these

Just depends on what you want really - a case to take it in and out of or just protection or even both

Don't buy MS Word or Office (in fact I don't think you can any more) - get a Microsoft 365 Family subscription.

6 people all get full Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) plus 1TB EACH of OneDrive cloud.

Yes it is an annual cost, but includes that Cloud, updates and works on Apple, Windoze and Android (multiple devices per user, mine is on Mac, IOS and Android).

I just got an Amazon deal for 27 months for £99. Amazon seems to have no good deals now, but online c.£50 is common (look out for 15 month versions, better value)

Back
Top Bottom