R1150GS Battery

I had exactly the same experience when I took the bike for MOT last week. Tested the battery as I hit the starter and the voltage dropped immediately from 12.5v to 7.3v, but started easily on jump cables from my car.

Exide AGM 12-18 (250CCA) from Tanya arrived in 2 days and it fired up perfectly yesterday for a 180mile ride around North Lancs/Lakes.

I had to replace my battery today after 5 faithful years.

I hadn't used the bike since Nov last year (shame I know) and took it out yesterday. Started first time ok with a jump start for the car and rode for and hour. But it wouldn't hold a charge when I restarted it.

Ordered a Exide GEL12-19 Motorcycle Battery (replaced like for like) from Eurocarparts as a first time user (code: 5alxrw5) you get a 50% discount. £61.49 collected.

Good luck.

T

Well this week I have tried all the suggested ideas to get the odyssey battery to accept a charge and nothing has worked.

So I have just ordered an Exide battery.

I can probably buy at least 3 Exides for the price of 1 odyssey and get a lifetime of use out of them.

Always disappointing when something that is said to be quality let’s you down.

Thanks Wessie. Decided to just leave it be unless I commence moto aerobatics sometime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spangle, don't do that - the battery will get jarred bouncing around loose in the battery box which will do it in. I did this on my Honda and had a 2-3 month-old battery go from good to nothing while riding. Shim it up so it has a snug fit. I had an assortment of cheap plastic body filler spreaders that I cut up to shim the Oddysey to fit snugly. The Westcos are a proper fit as is.

I used the space to wrap up a small cheap wallet with 50 UK quid and 50 USD.

I figure that if I ever lose my wallet bag or whatever I’ll always have a small emergency stash. Get me some food and fuel until I get my shit together again.

If not that then maybe some tie wraps or anything else potentially useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had an issue with an Odyssey when not driving enough, even if I gave it an Optimate shot once a month.

Similar situation to others on the thread. I'd replaced my Motobatt battery less than 2 years ago on my 1150 with the same model it came with. Always have it on trickle charge in the garage as it doesn't get as much use as my Honda workhorse. Took it for its MOT 2 weeks ago week and it fired 1st time. Was going out to Calne Bike Festival last week and all togged up to go and then the usual...click, click, clock resets and couldn't get it to start.
Unsure after reading some of the comments above that continuous trickle charging doesn't make a difference but both bikes have their own chargers so wasn't sure if the GS charger was FUBAR'd even though it shows it's charging even after swapping the 2 chargers of both bikes.
Well, it looks like I'm going back to Exide as I had with my original 1150 as the consensus seems to favour these. £76 for the Exide compared to £109 for the Motobatt.
This board has been a life-line over the last 19 years of GS ownership with some great advice and knowledge. Thank you.

Could I just confirm (for the correct size for the battery storage space) that the Exhide is the AGM 12-18 model?
(y)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom