Ride in Biblical Rain Review (gear)

Rukka Armaxis suit, bone dry , in over 12 hours riding, pays to have zipped together with troos and storm collar on. ( marshalling a charity cycle ride Oct 18, not torrential rain but on all day.) Have had 2 main zip repairs in 2 years ownership though.
DAytona boots, spot on. BMW 2in 1 goretex gloves, seem to do the job fine, but as others have mentioned taking off for fuel stops etc you do get water ingress.
Schuberth C3 pro, again great with coms , no issues.

Rukka Armaxis suit, bone dry , in over 12 hours riding, pays to have zipped together with troos and storm collar on. ( marshalling a charity cycle ride Oct 18, not torrential rain but on all day.) Have had 2 main zip repairs in 2 years ownership though.
DAytona boots, spot on. BMW 2in 1 goretex gloves, seem to do the job fine, but as others have mentioned taking off for fuel stops etc you do get water ingress.
Schuberth C3 pro, again great with coms , no issues.

my c3 pro went back to dealer at least 4 times. A new pinlock, a new rotation of pinlock pin. Then it went back to TranAm and a new facial insert appeared. Still didn't solve the water/misting ingress. This time it was sent back to Germany. New visor, new pinlock, new surround insert etc and lets hope it's fixed this time. ...So sorry, but C3 Pro is not as waterproof

Daytona Traveller GTX Boots.... waterproof since new, now 6 yrs in service and still waterproof.
BMW Streetguard trousers with bib n braces..... new in 2019.... damp crotch but dry legs and dry lower back.
Held Carese Evo jacket with outer goretex liner on..... better off wearing a swim suit in wet wet weather and takes 3 days to dry out if you forget the bloody liner and the heavens open.... even tried getting into a big bin liner to stay dry smock style in the USA a few years ago..... sunny California my ass!
Klim long socks, expensive but worth it, so worth it as still going strong.
UnderArmor heatgear thermal tops, excellent and a long fit, quick to dry.
Lindstrands gloves bought as summer use so no fault they let the water in.... bit disappoiinted the bonded inner liner came loose. Just got a new pair of Klim GTX leather Goretex short gloves but not really tried them yet in unsavoury conditions.

Anyone use a Stadler Supervent pro3 jacket and can atest to its waterproofness.... especially its front zip area where I look and worry about its waterproofness and longevity. Thinking of buying either it or a Klim Badlands Pro.

Richa Atlantic GTX jacket - Bone dry
BMW Enduroguard trousers - Bone dry
Richa Arctic Goretex gloves - Still looking for a waterproof glove
Daytona Roadstar GTX boots - Bone dry
Shoei Neotoec 2 - Mists up and rain gets past the top seal but OK

Revit Sand 3 Jacket - Bone dry as long as you Nikwax the outside
Revit Sand 3 trousers - Bone dry without the above, strangely.

Stadler supervent for me, never let a drop in

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Same kit for me as in my post near the beginning of this thread with a few minor changes.

I bought the Rukka Nivala pants and they work well and stay properly dry, but I really only use them if it's going to be super wet or really cold. Other than that, the Rokker Revolutions are still my go-to trousers for wet weather. Id di buy another pair. Not because the old ones leaked (they didn't) but just because I got a 50% off deal at Leg Ends.

I bought a pair of Daytona Travel Star Pro GTX boots as the Formas started occasionally getting moist after a few years. The Daytonas are really super, but are quite big and clunky and a bit of a pain to put on under the Rokker trousers. 100% dry in any weather though. I also got some short Klim boots that are 100% waterproof - but as they are shorter, water can still get in through the top at times. So if it's going to be very wet and cold or even just a long day, I wear the Daytonas.

My cold and wet weather gloves are now the Rukka Nivala 2.0. Brilliant so far. The Viriums started leaking a little on long rainy rides after a few years.

Neither the Rukka Nivala jacket or the Schubert C4 Pro have let me down. I can still get a wet neck and wet bottom of helmet if I don't bother with the Rukka storm collar though. I'll get a wet belly if I just wear the Nivala jacket and Rokker jeans through wicking if I wear a t-shirt outside the jeans and hands can always get damp through taking gloves off and putting them on again. All these things can be mitigated easily enough though. It's perfectly possible to ride for a full tank of fuel in heavy rain and stay totally dry. Fuel stops are the enemy though if you need to take gloves and helmet off - although that is normally just a minor bit of moistness.

I ride daily year round, half hour commute each way. Most days instead of my 1250GSA I take my Tmax scooter fitted with muffs and gaucho for winter. This sheds most of the wind and rain so I can use Dainese summer gloves plus Oxford heated grips with my BMW textile suit and Daytona Roadstar GTX boots. This mornings 6am ride was a real challenge with driving cross winds wind and rain and heavy motorway spray in the darkness.

Sadly my Schuberth C4 (early model, not Pro) is a noisy leaky turd of a thing, I was robbed when I bought it and Schuberth should be ashamed of themselves. I dried it at work on the radiators and then silicon greased the screen rubber seals in the hope of keeping water out.

Ordered a heated seat kit today, gonna modify the seat ready for 5th December when the first proper cold snap hits. Jan/Feb can get a touch chilly even here down South.

Another mention for Rev'it gear. I have an original Poseidon suit bought in 2017 and have ridden with it in some really heavy rain. Still totally waterproof as are my 8 year old TCX gortex boots and richa gortex summer gloves on a recent trip to Strontian. Started lashing near Prestwick and didn't stop the whole way to Strontian. The suit is gortex laminate so dries really quickly. I wash the suit once a year using nikwax wash and then the TX treatment.

BMW Streetguard suit, Gravel boots and Held 2-1 gloves. Dry as a bone. Have Shoei Neotech 2 which is crap after a couple of hours. Mist creeps round from the side hinge and water gets through the top seal.

I use a Streetguard 3 with linings in for winter, never let me down including a 330 mile ride from Dorset to Cumbria last winter.

My Streetguard 4 is less impressive in bad weather, and gets damp around the sleeves in heavy downpours. However the Streetguard 4 is better in warmer weather because it has better venting.

Enduroguard is brilliant year-round, my 3-year-old Enduroguard has probably done 20k miles and behaves well in rain and well-vented in good weather. No lining so only 3-season use for me.

I was in the same boat the other night......

Heaviest I have seen in the UK for a number of years.

Klim Latitude (old model) - Bone dry - Belstaff "long way up" puffa thing under it and some Knox coldkillers. Cant be beat, if its cold plug a Keis in
Boots - Forma Adventure Hi - outstanding, if anything too hot, especially come summer, best boot I have ever used
Im using Macna Heated gloves just now, again brilliant and bone dry, just no feel. But its a full heated winter glove, I normally just use Knox Orsa and turn the grips up, but tis baltic just now....

Ideally a waterproof , warm , summer feeling glove, but I have yet to find it.

Oh and a Nexx flip thing, actually really good, however made the mistake of flipping up at at lights, stupid. Visor ruined after that for the journey

Keyless, contactless credit card.

No need to take gloves off :cool:

I put a spare credit card in the Klim Sleeve pocket, ideal for contactless payments

Difficult to get your arm in the toll booth for the attendant to get your jacket sleeve in the machine though when contactless isn’t an option.

Mind you, one of the nice ladies at a Spanish booth did retrieve my credit card from said Klim jacket sleeve pocket when I was cold and wet and didn’t want to take a glove off.

it’s not the main body of the jacket and trousers, its the gap that still remains when you zip tops to bottoms. The rain, through aerodynamics, just travels up the front and then just spreads through the non-waterproof layers

so much so that I’ve now ordered a new pair of trousers in salopette style

why these are not more widely available is beyond me as I’m sure I’m not the only one to suffer

Ideally a waterproof , warm , summer feeling glove, but I have yet to find it.

Some gloves have their insulation solely on the back of the hand, which gives you good feel through the palm and fingers’ underside. Racer Race Carbon gloves are one example, but I’m sure there are others.

My Streetguard 4 is less impressive in bad weather, and gets damp around the sleeves in heavy downpours. However the Streetguard 4 is better in warmer weather because it has better venting.

Enduroguard is brilliant year-round, my 3-year-old Enduroguard has probably done 20k miles and behaves well in rain and well-vented in good weather. No lining so only 3-season use for me.

Like yours, my Streetguard 4 long jacket leaks badly through the sleeves/forearms. I turned the sleeves inside out and unpicked the sleeve lining and then filled the sleeves with water from a hosepipe and it came pouring through the laminated membrane. Had it been GoreTex it would be warranted but its some Schoeller laminated breathable membrane and not covered.

I spoke to LSR textile repairs and they said it was scrap so I coated the outside with Fabsil and just wear it as a scruffy daily commuter jacket as it now seems water resisitant but not breathable anymore. It saves my excellent new (now obsolete) Enduroguard suit from wear and tear, I'm keeping it for foreign touring as I have been drenched once too often wearing the Streetguard kit.

Like yours, my Streetguard 4 long jacket leaks badly through the sleeves/forearms. I turned the sleeves inside out and unpicked the sleeve lining and then filled the sleeves with water from a hosepipe and it came pouring through the laminated membrane. Had it been GoreTex it would be warranted but its some Schoeller laminated breathable membrane and not covered.

I spoke to LSR textile repairs and they said it was scrap so I coated the outside with Fabsil and just wear it as a scruffy daily commuter jacket as it now seems water resisitant but not breathable anymore. It saves my excellent new (now obsolete) Enduroguard suit from wear and tear, I'm keeping it for foreign touring as I have been drenched once too often wearing the Streetguard kit.

My SG4 jacket has always been fine, however I think the lack of Velcro straps at the cuffs lets it down
If you wear the SG fleece inner liner with storm cuffs and storm collar and hood under your helmet etc, the SG4 has been 100% waterproof as designed

100% for the SG4. Been through torrential rain several times and never leaked once. I wear the BMW 2 in 1 gloves with long cuffs. In rain I wear them inside the sleeves, zip up the cuff and never been wet. The hood works well too, add a goretex neck tube over the collar and hood and it's toasty and dry. Best suit I've ever had.

This SG4 jacket is literally letting water pass straight through the laminated membrane on the sleeves, the membrane itself has failed or had been permanently contaminated by something. I had tried washing and reproofing several times with the proper Nikwax tech wash and proofing stuff to no avail. I'm a bit gutted as it was a fantastic suit, the trousers are still fine.

100% for the SG4. Been through torrential rain several times and never leaked once. I wear the BMW 2 in 1 gloves with long cuffs. In rain I wear them inside the sleeves, zip up the cuff and never been wet. The hood works well too, add a goretex neck tube over the collar and hood and it's toasty and dry. Best suit I've ever had.

Me too, but as you say you have to wear all the components that it comes with (storm collar and hidden hood, that you wear under your helmet) then it's fantastic in rain

Back
Top Bottom