Roads off NC 500

PAL55

Reaction score
Having done the NC500 several times, I have never done any of the roads leading off it A838 and A836. Anyone done these roads? Are they worth doing?

Cheers

We've stayed in Elphin a few times and ridden both those roads and many more to loop back to camp. I don't think there's a road not worth doing in the area.

Pretty sure I've done most of them....as above, all worth a ride and the vast majority off the 500 route are way quieter (Not that the 500 is busy when you're used the English roads)
A897, B871, UC road from Lothbeg on the A9 to Kildonan, UC road west from Altnaharra past the Broch Dun Dornaigil to Hope/Hope Bridge
The list goes on...give em all a go.:beerjug:

The road to Diabeg from Torridon is an interesting one,its a dead end but there is a restaurant at the end in Lower Diabeg,worth a detour.
Sheil Bridge to Glenelg is a nice also and you can get the wee ferry over to Skye.
There is a brilliant network or small single track roads running through the Black Isle down to Cromarty with fantastic views and hardly a car to be seen.

Thanks for the input, I have seen the road from Torridon to Diabeg when I have been up that part of Scotland before, but not done it, I will check it out. The road from Sheil Bridge to Glenelg and the turntable ferry I have done many times, it's a great ride.

Thanks for the input, I have seen the road from Torridon to Diabeg when I have been up that part of Scotland before, but not done it, I will check it out. The road from Sheil Bridge to Glenelg and the turntable ferry I have done many times, it's a great ride.

Don't forget that road runs all the way round to Arnisdale...a dead end but still worth a tour down and a look at the brochs up Gleann Bheag...another dead end but worth a donder. There used to be a tea shed at Corran just beyond Arnisdale, but she was pretty old the last time I was in!

Having done the NC500 several times, I have never done any of the roads leading off it A838 and A836. Anyone done these roads? Are they worth doing?

Cheers

of the 2 (they are both mainly single track) the A838 is best, really nice surface great scenery and although single track the visibility is great so you can keep a good pace. The A836 is basically in wilderness and surface is crap.

Lighthouse from unusual angle

Whilst up Scotland we went for a walk and snapped this photo.
Happy with the result my wife wanted it as a wallpaper background on her tablet.
It work brill even when the tablet is being used in portrait or landscape form.
Well chuffed - both of us :thumby: The weather was beautiful.
It is just off the 500 route too.
Yer will have to get off yer bike though

Attachments

• Lighthouse scotland .jpg
    Lighthouse scotland .jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 126
Whilst up Scotland we went for a walk and snapped this photo.
Happy with the result my wife wanted it as a wallpaper background on her tablet.
It work brill even when the tablet is being used in portrait or landscape form.
Well chuffed - both of us :thumby: The weather was beautiful.
It is just off the 500 route too.
Yer will have to get off yer bike though

Cracking picture! :thumb2
Was that from a drone or up on a cliff? :nenau

Parked up 200 yrds from Skye bridge and walked to middle of the bridge. The Lighthouse was obviously built 200 years before the bridge, so now the bridge is literally about 80ft from side of the bridge. I never knew it was there and I have been over the bridge at least 8 occasions on bikes and cars. Took picture with me old Samsung phone. Worrabout this un too. the water was mirror calm for 4 days

Attachments

• Eil Dorn 2.jpg
    Eil Dorn 2.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 94
Parked up 200 yrds from Skye bridge and walked to middle of the bridge. The Lighthouse was obviously built 200 years before the bridge, so now the bridge is literally about 80ft from side of the bridge. I never knew it was there and I have been over the bridge at least 8 occasions on bikes and cars. Took picture with me old Samsung phone. Worrabout this un too. the water was mirror calm for 4 days
Built to stop nuclear subs running around. It didn't work ... :D

BBC News - Nuclear submarine HMS Astute runs aground off Skye
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11605365

Sent from me

Built to stop nuclear subs running around. It didn't work ... :D

BBC News - Nuclear submarine HMS Astute runs aground off Skye
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11605365

Sent from me

Not many subs about in 1800s Pete :D and thanks for the invite but sorry not this time.:clap:clap
On the roads to go on I popped along the A817 to miss some of the dangerous and shitty A82
Along A83 then chucked a left along the A819 to A85 turning Right and then left anlong the stunning B8074.
Janet saw a chap washin his dishes in the burn (Gold Panning). We stopped and watched him, he did suck up something out of his dish into a bottle but as for his success.......... He had an old 07 SUV.
The following day I drove the "Skyfall road" = a 13mile dead ender but very pretty Glen Etive (opposite Kinghouse Hotel on Glencoe)

Back
Top Bottom