That seat....

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In a few weeks it's back onto the Italian commute. Not sure what changed, but an awful lot of wriggling going on during the last trip... I need to look at doing something with that seat!

I was about to fit the heated seat pad, but after the that trip and the "how can I improve on this" thoughts entering the equation, I wondered what people have done to improve the plight of their behinds on long days in the saddle? Maybe the heated pad is actually a part of the solution?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are you using the standard seat ,I had to change mine soon after I got the bike , last two bike I have owned the standard seats were diabolical .

I had my base rescupltred and a gel pad inserted, a lot better. Cool covers seem a good idea, a couple of friends have them and rate them. I can't use one owing to the reshaping which is a shame.

Sargent seat. As Gazza says, all day comfy unlike the instrument of torture from BMW.

I still have my old Sargent Hexhead seat in the loft (along with a pillion seat with a Sargent cover on it) if you want one.

(I now have a 1250 with a heated Sargent seat and knock-off Chinese cool cover for Summer).

Reactions: KJB
Every 30-45 mins stand on the pegs for a couple of minutes, using this method you can ride all day.
i have a black sheepskin cover that i use sometimes and it helps, but isn't a cure for the numb arse problem.

I've had all sorts of bikes and seats, the only 100% cure is standing on pegs.

IMHO the best seat is the one that fits, which for me its a firm base with plenty of support with relief in the coccyx area (I'm a prostate sufferer) to give good anatomical posture.

With the support there, you can then layer in whatever suits you for a bit of added plushness such as a cool cover, sheepskin cover, airhawk cushion etc.

I like Sargent seats but there are many other aftermarket brands such as Kahedo, Corbin, Wunderlich, Touratech etc etc, each with their loyal followers.

Compare any of the above with the blob of unsupportive foam that is the OE seat (that feels lovely for the first ten miles, but by rides end is literally a pain in the arse), then pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

And yes, stretch your legs and stand up now and then, it really helps.

As they say, YMMV.

... I need to look at doing something with that seat.........
Thoughts?

From personal experience on my R1200GS:

In order of preference:

1) Russell Day-Long https://day-long.com/
2) Kahedo (Touratech)
3) Sargent

The OEM seat fitted as standard is not fit for purpose (like the OEM horn and non-LED headlight which both required replacing to bring up to the desired standards ......)

The OEM seat fitted as standard is not fit for purpose

I must be doing something wrong then as I’ve been all over Europe on mine :nenau

admittedly it’s better with the mesh covers but it was perfectly acceptable as standard

i just dangle my legs when my arse starts aching or stand up so wifey can give is a quick massage :D

Thanks gents. I'm glad it's not just me suffering

I might go for the dirt cheap option suggested by Leadfarmer... Should be an easy test...

Standing on the pegs has become the only option so far, but by then, the wiggling will have been going on for a while . The only real catch for me on this one is that this commute is on big roads with higher speeds, reducing the opportunities to steal a moment up on the pegs.

I must be doing something wrong then as I’ve been all over Europe on mine :nenau

admittedly it’s better with the mesh covers but it was perfectly acceptable as standard

i just dangle my legs when my arse starts aching or stand up so wifey can give is a quick massage :D
I'm torn. I too have done many miles around Europe. Torn because I'm unclear if it's my body changing (I've just done a 50km swim, so I'm not yet over that hill ), the seat foam deteriorating, or my penchant for riding tank fill-to-tank fill (around 320-350 miles each).

Either way, I'm on the search for an 'improvement', if possible!

Thanks gents. I'm glad it's not just me suffering

I might go for the dirt cheap option suggested by Leadfarmer... Should be an easy test...

Standing on the pegs has become the only option so far, but by then, the wiggling will have been going on for a while . The only real catch for me on this one is that this commute is on big roads with higher speeds, reducing the opportunities to steal a moment up on the pegs.

The trick is to stand on the pegs as soon as you feel your first wiggle coming on lol
if you arse is numb you have left it too long.

You would be surprised how fast you can travel stood up.
I do it at motorway speed regular (50-70mph)

You only have to turn the base over to see how bad a design it is, especially for those a little heavier. We easily crush the seats std foam and end up trapped in the bottom of the U shaped base. When I had my TC I reworked the base, added dense kneeler pad foam to create a flatter base, then shaped the OE foam to fit back on top. Wasn’t perfect, but it allowed you to move about a bit which certainly improved things.

The trick is to stand on the pegs as soon as you feel your first wiggle coming on lol
if you arse is numb you have left it too long.

You would be surprised how fast you can travel stood up.
I do it at motorway speed regular (50-70mph)
Ooh... That's interesting. I haven't had the courage to try standing on the pegs at higher speeds... So yea, I can understand that if that works, then more frequent stands are possible, lots more!

The best I've found so far has been the Russell Day Long saddle set that I had them fit onto my RS ( I am lucky that I live within a days ride from their facility in California). If you want a less expensive solution my money would be on a Bead Rider cover. Saved my bacon from monkey butt on many a long trip-

Sometimes you don't need to fully stand, just raise your butt a couple of inches.

It's good for the core muscles too!

Now i'm going to be the awkward bugger that actually likes the stock seats

The Factory low seat on the hexhead was far far better than the Std seat.

The Factory low seat on the LC was however bloody awful,
The Touratech ultralow was better, but not comfy as it could be

I've now got a twin cam with the factory low seat and it's too high, so ive had that modded into an ultra low seat

I managed Sids and back with no real issues

Back
Top Bottom