Trip to Croatia

Wushuplayer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could point me to or had suggestions for an itinerary for a trip from London to Croatia in May?

I have 2 weeks off, don't enjoy a mix of camping, hostels and hotels.

Cheers

can you clarify what you actually want in terms of accommodation as the sentence I have quoted is rather confusing.

also, how long do you want to spend in Croatia in those 2 weeks. Do you want a single base in Croatia or suggestions for touring about there?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could point me to or had suggestions for an itinerary for a trip from London to Croatia in May?

Cheers

I did this last year in my van but for six weeks. I headed down to Provence, through to Isola 2000 in Italy across Tuscany ended up in Ancona and took the boat to Split. Out of where I went I would recommend a day or two at the two national parks and then a day or two on the Island of Cres, head up through Slovenia and then Italy back to the chunnel, enjoy

Croatia is a rather long country, any ideas on places / sights / things you want to see / do?

Motorways, or not?

If you're a GoT fan then Dubrovnik should be on your list.

jakirusa.com stayed here a couple of times,nice people and place. a few yards from the adriatic if you fancy a dip.

I was thinking to spend 3-4 days in Croatia, I'm open to touring around, or if you think it's too ambitious then happy to use as a base. In terms of accommodation, if the weather is good I'll camp along the way, if it's poor I'll stay at a Airbnb or hostel. I did a little of the Ardennes last year which was nice.
I'd prefer to avoid Motorways but I realise my time is a little limited.
I've never seen GoT but I've heard Durbrovnik is nice.

The Jadranska Magistrala is an experience everyone should enjoy, can be a bit manic at peak holiday times.https://www.timeout.com/croatia/travel/the-jadranska-magistrala-croatias-ultimate-seaside-drive

One idea for an itinerary from what I did a couple of years ago, two up. Zell am See to Bled via the Vrisic Pass. To Plitvice lakes, spent a day there looking at the falls, then to Split for two days, gorgeous especially if your into Roman etc history. Zadar for a day, like most coastal Croatian cites lovely, then to Udine.

Since then been to Sibenik, Pula, Dubrovnik and Karlobag. Want to go to Trogir and Rovinj, and would happily go back to Pula and Sibenik. Dubrovnik whilst nice was just too busy for me, and probably realistically, too far for you, unless you use the motorways. Coastal areas very touristy, inland much less. Not been to Zagreb etc and the deep interior, not so much that floats my boat there.

Last edited:
Are you:

A. Looking for hints and tips (great roads to ride, no motorways, hotels, cafes, stuff to see and do) for the entire 14 days of your motorcycling holiday from London to Croatia (for three to four days) and the return?

B. Looking for hints and tips for only the three to four days in Croatia itself.

C. Looking for confirmation that it’s even possible or worthwhile over the 14 day period?

D. Looking for something else entirely?

Await your words.

PS Whilst you ponder your response. Have a look at:

https://www.madornomad.com/motorcycle-travel-guide-croatia/ for just some basic ideas. Scroll down, if you know all the other stuff.

Have a look at this, too. It translates OK into English, using most search engine’s ability to translate websites:

https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/reisen-motorrad-oldtimer/motorradtouren/motorradtouren-kroatien/

This will lead you to this:

https://www.adac.de/-/media/pdf/ruf/motorrad/tk_05_kroatischeadriakste2018_210816.pdf

You could then get inventive, using this idea, which starts in Austria:

https://www.louis.de/magazin/touren/tourentipps/suedeuropa/oesterreich-kroatien

OK…..

Line up to plan the OP’s complete 14 day holiday, no motorways, great roads, (not a) mix of hotels, campsites and / or hostels, things to see: London > Croatia > London.

Date of departure, unknown.

I’d suggest you contact Simon Weir, he’ll do the lot for you.

https://www.simonweir.co.uk/

Great,

Let us know how yiu get on with Weir, please. Others have used his services and say he is very good.

Well worth a look at Global Motorcycle tours (self Guided ) they do one to Croatia all routes and rides given and top quality hotels booked , agree not for everyone but worth looking at

Let’s see if we can help the OP (a reasonably novice rider) plan his own 14 day holiday.

I asked Kurviger for a non-motorway, reasonably twisty route of Calais > Ulm > Zadar.

I chose Calais, as I guess you’ll start from London? I chose Ulm, but only because its location gives a reasonably straight line between Calais and Zadar. I chose Zadar, as it’s in Crostia and is a reasonably popular destination.

Kurviger gave this route:

ed7378278f0e8075b6e81ed25ed7aff6.png

https://kurv.gr/TCDX5

It is 1,200 miles.

I then asked Kurviger for an alternative, non-motorway route between Calais, Ulm and Zadar. This was 100 miles shorter:

e7914537e08155bf09730f7c8d5fdadd.png

https://kurv.gr/ukrMv

I then asked Kurviger for the same Calais, Ulm, Zadar route, but using motorways. This is a pretty similar distance at 1,100 miles.

77d3921424e16a3d6b9d59d25d37d3e8.png

https://kurv.gr/t5GYD

You want to spend three to four days in Croatia and have a total holiday period of 14 days, door-to-door. That (assuming you have no days off the bike anywhere) leaves a minimum of 10 days for the round trip London > Zadar > London. Gain a single day, if you cut your time in Croatia down to three days, obviously.

Let’s divide those 10 days evenly, splitting them five for the way down and five for the way back. The intermediate, non-motorway distance is 1,100 miles between Calais and London. That is an average of 220 non-motorway miles a day, for five days. It is the same for the way back. You will also have to add the nearly 100 miles on day one to go from London to Calais and the same 100 miles on day 14, too.

That lot, including the screen shots and tapping the post out, all using nothing more than an iPad, took me no more than 10 minutes.

Now, YOU know YOU, way better than we know YOU.

A. Can YOU do 210 miles a day on non-motorway roads for five days on the bounce, one day after another?

B. Can YOU then do four days in Croatia, your chosen holiday destination?

C. Can YOU do the same 210 miles back for five days?

All without a break / day off.

That is just basic sums but it gives you an idea as to how to start planning return trips of over 2,000 miles…… and you are asking people where to stay, what to do etc etc etc. Now you maybe see the problem? This is all before you even start riding around for four days in Croatia, which you also want to be told what to do.

Come on, make an effort……

A. Start with something as simple as asking Google to give you suggestions for Calais to Zadar. Then ask ViaMichelin for its suggestions for the same journey.

B. I have given you the basic Kurviger suggestions. They are only suggestions, I really haven’t looked too hard at them.

C. Look at the distances and look at your time available.

D. Do the very simple sums, based on what YOU can or want to do, riding wise.

Can it be done in 14 days, door-to-door, using non-motorway routes, with no days off? Yes. Can YOU do it? Who knows?

Do some planning for yourself and come back with your ideas, please. Or just ask Simon Weir…….

:beerjug:

Just for fun, I did ask ViaMichelin for its fastest, non-motorway, motorbike, suggestion:

8fda439831595d17ac07f23d771bcee1.png

It is that easy to do. Naturally enough, it is still over 1,000 miles.

Just had a play with viaMichelin. Rather good, isn't it?

The great thing about it is that you can see the suggested route in Michelin’s excellent maps, if you zoom in. Of course, if you cut the route into MyRoute, you can see it in Michelin’s maps there, too.

The other great thing is that viaMichiln likes to hotel sites and, of course, to it’s green travel guides.

Hmm... I see. It's doable, I'd just be knackered at the end of it. Maybe I'll have a look at something else and save Croatia for a 3 week break or fly there as suggested. Thank you for the eye opening!

Welcome.

Distance over time available is always a good way to start. It is so easy to ask Google for an A to B route and then do the basic sums.

The other things to have pretty near the top of the list are:

1. Avoiding motorways. Everyone wants this and then wants to go a thousand miles, door-to-door in five minutes. Distances are strange things. To help imagine how far away something is, picture London to the top tip of Scotland. That is about 700 miles. Would you ride that in a day? Two days? Three? If you did ride it, would you assiduously avoid all motorways and only take ‘great roads, mate’ lesser roads? By comparison, London to the tip of Cornwall is 300 miles. Same questions. You can maybe use this simple method, as miles across the water are exactly the same in length as miles here at home.

2. Great roads. Just because a holiday crosses the narrow strip of water of the English Channel, it doesn’t mean that great roads are everywhere. Or, that they are necessarily on your intended journey.

3. Hotels, things to see and do. Over a thousand miles, there are loads. It is bonkers people suggesting hotel ABC or XYZ, or the must ‘Must do” stuff at 123 or 789. They have no more idea where along the route you’ll be at any one moment than you have. That is even before any consideration as to whether over two hundred miles a day on D roads, will give any time to see ‘stuff’.

Yes, someone can plan it for you, but to do it properly on behalf of an unknown third party takes time and effort. It definitely needs more effort than was put into your opening post. That sounds harsh but it’s the truth, if the end product is going to be worthwhile and, not least, enjoyable for you to ride.

4. Remembering, what the purpose of the trip is. In your case it is (hopefully not, was) to enjoy Croatia. If so, you need to cut your cloth accordingly. Which brings us right back to distance over time available.

You can still do it.

A. Get up early and get going.

B. Put in some motorway miles; it’s why they spent billions on making the things.

C. Don’t stop and start pressing wild flowers, every 30 minutes. Modern GPS devices are very good at displaying, distance to end destination and estimated arrival time. You do not be an absolute slave to it but it’s a useful carrot (and stick) to keep you on track.

Back
Top Bottom