Tyre Levers

SteveHop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any tips regarding tyre levers please ?

Im doing a trip on my G/S which has tubed tyres , so i thought that i might get a good set of tyre levers just in case i get a puncture.
Im not sure if its best to carry spair tubes or just take patches .
Ive got a can of that tempory tyre repair stuff that you squirt in through the valve but not sure if its any good ?

Any advice would be most welcome .
Thanks

Better tubes than patches IME but ideally take both. A 21" tube will go in the rear if you're pushed for space.

Most tyre levers will work OK, but what really helps is practice changing tyres. Long "Michelin" types with a curve in them work best at home, but are too big to carry on a bike really. For that I favour old school "Dunlop" style levers like these pictured. Plenty of other options from firms like Motion Pro etc.

Those cans of gloop claiming to fix punctures almost never work with tubes.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I've got a puncture repair kit in my toolbox under the seat. I did replace it a few years ago, but I'm not sure the glue hasn't dried up.

If I'm on a long trip, especially if I'm doing any non-tarmac sections, I take tubes too.

Touch wood, never had a puncture. Probably will now I've said that. :blast

Any tips regarding tyre levers please ?

Im doing a trip on my G/S which has tubed tyres , so i thought that i might get a good set of tyre levers just in case i get a puncture.
Im not sure if its best to carry spair tubes or just take patches .
Ive got a can of that tempory tyre repair stuff that you squirt in through the valve but not sure if its any good ?

Any advice would be most welcome .
Thanks
Aerosol puncture repairs are, in my experience, utterly useless. If you use one and it doesn't fix your problem, you would have to fit a new tube or, if tubeless, a new tyre.

If you have space, carry a spare tube. It would not be easy to glue a patch if it is pissing with rain and/or freezing cold (as it always is when you have any sort of problem!)

Best advice is practice at home. You don’t want your first experience to be in the rain up a mountain with night drawing in.

DAMHIK …

You can get away with two levers, but it makes the job so much easier with three.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 17.23.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 17.23.43.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 20
You won't need the bead breaker element of those levers with tubes, so might as well get some simpler and cheaper levers.

...and as John RTW says above, 3 levers are better than 2.

Glue will eventually dry up once opened . Buy in packs of 3 or 5 so you have spares

I use the motion pro very lightweight spoons that have a ring spanner on the other end. Breaking the bead, even with tubed tyres, can be a pain n the arse but usually works with a good kick from a motocross boot.

Back
Top Bottom