V100 Paint Flaking

Joe Bar

Too old to die young.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else saw this photo posted on the V100 Facebook group, but doesn't look good. Hopefully it's a one off, and not a return of the V11 engine paint issue mine suffered from.

hDtwWZ.jpg

Recently spoke to a chap at a local biker cafe who said his V100 had flaking paint on the front of the engine, not sure if it was on the cover or the main block. He said it was a very small area but was rightly concerned it may progress. The dealer at the first service suggested the salty weather had caused it, after a few hundered miles and 2 months. Don't know how well the rider had cleaned it, but even so, watch the space I guess.

Wow,obviously not good!!! I'll be interesting to see if many other V100's suffer the same.

Kimbo

Recently spoke to a chap at a local biker cafe who said his V100 had flaking paint on the front of the engine, not sure if it was on the cover or the main block. He said it was a very small area but was rightly concerned it may progress. The dealer at the first service suggested the salty weather had caused it, after a few hundered miles and 2 months. Don't know how well the rider had cleaned it, but even so, watch the space I guess.

Should be able to withstand it

Isn’t that the same or similar issue that BMWs suffer from? BMW were replacing engines for this very shortcoming. You would have thought that manufacturers would have considered the fact that this part of the engine is in the direct line of fire for every single piece of crap thrown in its direction. They might even consider whether their designs are fit for purpose and fit some decent mudguards. Suzuki have with their Vstrom and it even looks OK too.

Would not be happy with that!!

Imagine being told that by a dealer after a couple of months of ownership.

S20 5G sent this......

Photoshop ? I can't see that every bit of paint would come off the front cover and leave a perfect finish underneath.

Looks like the front cover is fine, it’s just the engine block that’s flaked from the joint back

The bit on the block that looks as though it's lost the paint is the same colour as the front cover. Something not right about the photo.

I've never really understood the paint problem. Paint doesn't come off cars in salty weather, whether you clean them or not. The longevity of car bodywork is something we can thank the EU for.

My friend has recently part exed his 21 reg V85 due to rust and paint issues....he loved the bike but was very disappointed with the quality.

guzzi, have a habit of painting parts before they are finished . so they paint them , and then do some machining , leaving an unpainted surface edge , open to the elements.

PS , they are also shite at surface prep before painting.

That's lucky, my V11 Sport was one of the first with the black crinkle finish and loads of them lifted and were rectified under warranty. Then 3,000 miles later it knocked a big end bearing out and required an engine rebuild with new crank, thankfully five weeks before the warranty expired. Almost put me off Guzzi's for good, the five after that have all been fine though.

I’m going to complain to BMW - my GSA is 21 years old and has only covered 119,375 miles - I’m disgusted at the poor quality..

Attachments

• DC3578AB-E258-4542-9F59-B83EEA99FA86.jpg
    DC3578AB-E258-4542-9F59-B83EEA99FA86.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 221

Back
Top Bottom