Documentation - How Necessary ?

Voyager

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A quick question for you experts . . .

I am off to Norway & Sweden - getting the ferry from Newcastle on 3rd July.

I was planning to use my R100GS but I am now in the process of acquiring an 1150 GSA.

The GSA is due to arrive on Saturday 30th June and as it is being brought in from Germany (British Forces) it is being re-registered in the UK about a week before I get it.

So when I receive it, I am unlikely to have the V5 to hand, and if I did, I wouldn't be able to register it in my name before 3rd July.

I will have documentation relating to the previous owner and its German Registration (which won't match the UK plates on the bike).

This sounds like too much trouble so the 100GS is currently being prepared for the trip.

What do you think - should I take the 1150 with incomplete documentation or not ?

As ever - thanks in anticipation.

Bob.

We just came back this week . We only had to produce the V5 at the ferry port when we left Stockholm to board ferry to Tallin. Norway to Sweden is an open border and they didnt ask for V5 when we left Newcastle. We didnt even show passports when we roled off the ferry at Stavanger.

We did however have to produce the V5 at almost every border between Estonia and Germany.

Not sure what the law is with regards to showing it to the police if you get stopped. And I aam not sure that you wont have a problem when you come to leave. Can you not take some time go to the DVLA in person to regiister the bike and then get some sort of paperwork from them confirming transfer of ownership?

Hi Bob

The rule (and law of many EU and non EC Europoean countries) is that you must carry your revamped V5 document (not a photocopy) if the vehicle belongs to you or a statement from your company, leasing company or individual where you have permission to take a vehicle abroad where it doesn't belong to you e.g. company car. Anything other than this MIGHT cause problems depending on border guards and police. I have travelled to many destinations and forgotten documents and never been stopped and on other occasions been stopped seveal time of a single trip with polite but insistent police and other officials who need to see all documentation.

Insurance docs etc must be in your (or company) name and cover the vehicle concerned - bleedin' obvious

Have a great trip (but watch out for mozzies)

Gordon

Bob,

I go to Sweden / Norway a lot. The police are fine but they take a very dim view of speeeding, whilst drink drive is miles off the radar. If you don't wind them up, chances are 99% certain everything will be OK.

Whilst it's obviously a requirment to have the original papers, I would definitely chance it. The way at it this way. If you lost your papers after a day in Sweden, would you come home from your hol's, probably no? What's the worse that is going to happen? A stiff fine if it's anything like France.

I would suggest that you take photocopies of all the documents. The German log papers (or whatever), the confiramtion of sale, any customs dec's bringing the bike into the UK, your application for the British V5 etc. Probably there will be engine or frame numers shown somewhere on some or all of the papers, so it will look all joined up anyway.

If all else fails, Swedish jails are comfy.....:thumb2

Just one thought. How are you going to insure it if you do not have the UK registration number? Might it not be easier just to leave it on its German plates (assuming it's got some) - insure it with say Axa who did my chum's Nepalese registered bike with squiggles for a number plate (don't ask) - I guess it has German road tax? I think you get six months grace to re-register EU imports? OK the papers won't be in your name, but neither would a hire car or a bike you borrowed, quite legally from a mate.

Bob,

I go to Sweden / Norway a lot. The police are fine but they take a very dim view of speeeding, whilst drink drive is miles off the radar. If you don't wind them up, chances are 99% certain everything will be OK.

Whilst it's obviously a requirment to have the original papers, I would definitely chance it. The way at it this way. If you lost your papers after a day in Sweden, would you come home from your hol's, probably no? What's the worse that is going to happen? A stiff fine if it's anything like France.

I would suggest that you take photocopies of all the documents. The German log papers (or whatever), the confiramtion of sale, any customs dec's bringing the bike into the UK, your application for the British V5 etc. Probably there will be engine or frame numers shown somewhere on some or all of the papers, so it will look all joined up anyway.

If all else fails, Swedish jails are comfy.....:thumb2

Just one thought. How are you going to insure it if you do not have the UK registration number? Might it not be easier just to leave it on its German plates (assuming it's got some) - insure it with say Axa who did my chum's Nepalese registered bike with squiggles for a number plate (don't ask) - I guess it has German road tax? I think you get six months grace to re-register EU imports? OK the papers won't be in your name, but neither would a hire car or a bike you borrowed, quite legally from a mate.

Hi,

The current owner is in the British Armed Forces and is stationed in Germany.

He is registering the bike in the UK - in his name - on 22nd June.

I will know the UK registration in time to add it to my Insurance.

I may have 'my' bit of the new V5 in time, but it won't be registered in my name in time.

The Forces documents include frame & engine numbers so will prove that it is the same bike - even though it has now been registered in UK by someone else !

I'll take the 100GS - far less hassle (And I have just spent a fortune on it getting it ready).

Thanks for all the info and advice.

I'll have the 1150 GSA sorted out in time for my trip to Morocco in October though :thumb

Back
Top Bottom