Autocom problem - too much wind noise

Mouse

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if someone can offer advice :)

I've got an Autocom, I can't remember which model (duh!) but it's about a year old, is stereo, and has the vox control inside the battery compartment, if that helps! :)

I just use it for rider to pillion comms, no external inputs.

The problem is that the rider's microphone activates all the time due to wind noise. It's ok when not moving, but at anything above 40mph the microphone is constantly on, deafening us both with noise. I've turned the vox control to maximum, which definitely has an effect, but not nearly enough.

It's definitely wind noise, if I duck behind the screen, the situation improves, but I can't rise around like that all the time!

Any ideas please? I wonder if it's something to do with my helmet, which is a Roof, there's not much room in front of my face for the microphone, I wonder if this is increasing the noise somehow? I taped up the vents on the front of the helmet, but this didn't really improve things.

Thanks for any advice :)

You are running an Active Plus, all you will need to do is set the VOX level by turning it clockwise. The Roof helmet will not cause any major problems as I run a Daytona myself.

Rich

Yup, I check it's an active plus :) But I've turned the vox all the way clockwise already ... any other ideas? :)

It's fekked.

If it's turned to the extreme already but it's still cutting in at 40mph due to wind, either they've changed the settings radically or it's fekked.

My autocom (pro7 IIRC) won't cut in on the max setting even if I shout v loud at it....... i reckon you may have a shorting wire on the pick up mic that's being earthed out by the buffetting wind maybe?

You do have the little black foam sock thing on the boom don't you?

:)

No, there's no black sock on the boom mic, it's as supplied in the kit. Just a cream coloured non removable foam cover over the microphone itself.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a fault with the unit as you say. And I wonder if it's still in warranty! :D

I'll check the wiring too, thanks.

Try a throat mic. You'll need to make your own connections but the mic will be out of the wind so you won't get a problem.

Or just post the system back to me and I will get it looked at for you. The system is covered for 12mths under warranty bit if its out we will see what we can do for you.

Throat mic wise these are mics we do not recommend or we supply them within our kits.

Fanum, he is running a full face helmet so an open face conversion kit will not be needed.

Rich

Yes, helmet is full face. I'm not sure a throat mic would be out of the wind, I get quite a lot of wind on my neck.

GSRich - thanks for that offer :) I'm pretty sure the unit is less than 1 year old, as I bought it for a trip to Germany last September. It performed pretty well on that trip, there was wind noise at autobahn speeds, but nothing like what I'm getting now. However I was using a different bike at the time.

Should I send the unit to the address on the Autocom website? (Tachbrook Park Drive) For the attention of any particular person? Should I include the rider's headset? Both headsets?

Thanks very much.

........Throat mic wise these are mics we do not recommend or we supply them within our kits.....
Rich

Could you expand on this please - if a throat mic were under, say, a snood or something similar to avoid "rustling" and a PTT switch used, would this not be an option for both open and full face helmets?

The "socks" that have been mentioned are available seperately from Autocom, part No 1198.

They are listed as"open face conversion kit" and you get two. Price is £2.00.

Got to agree with the previous comments about your vox though. :(

Yes, helmet is full face. I'm not sure a throat mic would be out of the wind, I get quite a lot of wind on my neck.

GSRich - thanks for that offer :) I'm pretty sure the unit is less than 1 year old, as I bought it for a trip to Germany last September. It performed pretty well on that trip, there was wind noise at autobahn speeds, but nothing like what I'm getting now. However I was using a different bike at the time.

Should I send the unit to the address on the Autocom website? (Tachbrook Park Drive) For the attention of any particular person? Should I include the rider's headset? Both headsets?

Thanks very much.

Your unit will have test label on it so this will give us a clearer idea on its age etc. Posting wise mark it for me and I will look after you. Rich Wallace. Post off as much as you can mate so we can give your system a full check over.

Throat mic wise if our VOX system works so well why step backwards in quality and having to use a PTT, this will also make the rider to pillion side of the comms more hard work. You also have to think about the wiring i.e getting caught in clothing and the helmet buckles etc.

I've got a full face helmet and set mine up for vox but found that occasionally it would transmit, fitted the open face foam thing and that stopped it, so for £2 for 2 I think it's worth it.

Even better is fitting PTT, stops any problems like this.........

I've got a full face helmet and set mine up for vox but found that occasionally it would transmit, fitted the open face foam thing and that stopped it, so for £2 for 2 I think it's worth it.

Even better is fitting PTT, stops any problems like this.........

Hi, is it possible to fit a PTT to an autocom then? if so how? thanks, Bowie.:beerjug:

I meant to post on this the other day, PTT's are only used with bike to bike not rider and pillion as its not needed due to the VOX.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom