ORS 650 xchallenge

David Cadle

Well now i've a ex welsh off road sklls 2008, 650 xchallenge, no.4, 1,666 miles. It seemed a good idea to mention what needs doing as other owners might be able to benefit.

I picked up the bike from "helpful, professional" Vines xmas eve to ride it back to Worcester via family in Kent and work in London. The sprocket carrier bearings almost immediately gave up the ghost after 40miles. So £28 (for the two bearings) later the dealer very kindly fitted them so I could get home. I'm now thinking about cleaning and regreasing all exterior bearings. Those jet washers seem to pile the dirt past the seals. CD Manual ordered.
The long journey on the seat was no problem over a hundred mile with a couple of stops to thaw out as the Cotswolds were in the grip of -4 with snow. Throw over panniers and a rucksack were a bit troublesome as one pannier burnt on the exhaust and left a plastic smear, yet to be scrapped off. That headlight is a wonder, last time I rode trial bikes you could hardly see the road fifteen feet in front, now all melts in my path. And the 'supposedly' low range petrol tank had no problems at 65mph sipping the fuel. So home and all is well, a quick wash where welsh mud is still dropping out of deep crevices and I love it. But why no 26mm spanner in the tool kit for loosening the back wheel to adjust the chain. so far so good.

Enjoy your bike!! Having used one last year they certainly did get a daily Jet wash ,but I guess replace both wheel bearings and all should be well,and you've still got the warrenty!! I tried to get one but they'd all gone ,so getting a Kwak H1A 500 triple instead!!:eek:

Hi David, welcome to UKGSer.

It might be worth you posting the same 450/650 singles section found further down the forum. :thumb2

There's some very useful information in there, I'm sure other members would appreciate it :)

Enjoy your stay with us ... join in where you can :)

dat warranty thing

In the Vines news letter Dec 2008 claims that bike is warranted with the bmw cover except for panel work and corrosion. So outer bearings which die, such as the ones in my sprocket carrier, due to a man in wales being over zellous with jet wash..... Well I would of loved them to fall over and say let us mend that for you, but I kind of knew that was'nt going to happen. But if the engine, gearbox or frame or electronics went west I would expect and hope bmw to do the right thing. After all thats we go to bmw for assurance of quality and reliability.

engine breather tube

Just a quick note that whilst ferreting around cleaning etc came across a loose engine breather tube that had not been put back on the air breather box. hopefully not too much muck has crept down it. Although now the under frame is well oiled!

I guess you must have missed my earlier post .... 6.1.2009

It might be worth you posting the same 450/650 singles section found further down the forum. :thumb2

There's some very useful information in there, I'm sure other members would appreciate it

Do you want me to move this thread over for you? Better there than in the newbie section.

edit: Done.

Gazz's sprocket bearing went recently, his bike has been used to the fullest.
On ADVrider someone found out that KTM 27mm nuts will fit the axles, which means that they can be replaced with the more common size, useful for one less tool to carry should you have one kit and a couple bikes.

Thanks white rabbit and duchess and all.
I will now go to the apponted place and sit in the 650/450 single boys corner. Then dream of sawing a 1200 in half if I need any spares. Now that would be a magic trick.

Back
Top Bottom