650 or 800?

Buz

Reaction score
Hi all, another new one with some basic questions!! I've had a search but can find nowt appropriate on the site.
Just failed test on a 500, stupid U turn, all else went ok but just cant get used to the damned U turn, cant get used to revving the guts out of the bike, riding clutch and breaking at the same time! I know the theory but have no way of practising, other than spending a fortune on training. Got the test again next week and thinking of doing it on the 125 and get a restricted bike for 2 years.
Thing is I only want to buy 1 bike and be don with it....Firstly does anyone know if the 800GS can be factory restricted? I know the 650 can but not sure about the 800. Secondly, i'm a short arse 5'7" with 29" inside leg, would I have problems with the 800? Ideally would like the 800 but must be practical.

Hi all, another new one with some basic questions!! I've had a search but can find nowt appropriate on the site.
Just failed test on a 500, stupid U turn, all else went ok but just cant get used to the damned U turn, cant get used to revving the guts out of the bike, riding clutch and breaking at the same time! I know the theory but have no way of practising, other than spending a fortune on training. Got the test again next week and thinking of doing it on the 125 and get a restricted bike for 2 years.
Thing is I only want to buy 1 bike and be don with it....Firstly does anyone know if the 800GS can be factory restricted? I know the 650 can but not sure about the 800. Secondly, i'm a short arse 5'7" with 29" inside leg, would I have problems with the 800? Ideally would like the 800 but must be practical.

I am not sure about the restriction question, but I think the 800 would be hardwork at 5"7. I am 5"10 and I can't get both feet flat - that said I do have the standard seat...

The 650 can be reduced from the standard 820mm to 765mm with low seat and suspension. F800 seat height is 880m or 850mm with low seat so there's a big difference...

Im a cm under 5'7" with 29" inside leg and i have an 800 with a low seat... I find it fine... However if i cast my mind back to the days when i passed my test, the though of having the bike i have now whould scare the crap outa me... Its all down to confidence to a certain extent, and experience.. There's plenty of 650GS singles about, which are great as a first bike if you dont wanna do the 650 twin thing.

Serously though, just go and sit on one, and ask yourself... could i maneouvre this around and be confident on it..

I dont think they restrict the 800.

Thanks chaps, think i'll take the advice and go sit on one....once i've passed the flippin test that is :confused:

i'd be a short arse myself (5Ft7), more or less had a done deal for a 1200 on autotrader, but being just out of my 2 yr restriction period I figured I'd take one for a test drive at my dealer just to be sure.

Well, first lesson learnt, NO way could I handle it safely, gettin it of the stand was an endurance.

Ended up that week ordering a F650, standard height, which I find very easily to manage.

Maybe after a couple of years experience the 1200 wont seem so daunting and I'll upgrade.

5'4" (163cm) here and I have an F800GS (and loving it!). I have the low seat and got the dealer to drop the front forks through the triple clamps about 1" with predelivery. Im guessing that dropped the seat heigh by about a cm or so. I'm more than comfortable with the seat height with those changes. With that configuration, I can tip toe on both sides comfortable, or if I just put the one foot down can usually flat foot on one side. The bike is real easy to ride (wide bars and weight down low). Adding TKCs or other knobbies will raise the seat height again which you need to bare in mind if you intend on doing that down the track.

I was quite concerned about the height prior to delivery, I even bought a 19" front wheel for it (which I wont be keeping). However with the above changes and if you are a confident rider you should be fine. One thing is for sure, I had more passion for the 800 over the 650 and damn happy it worked out well for me.

i passed my test just over a year ago, and ordered an 800 before i got it. i am 6"1' though and height wasn't going to be an issue. people were recommending that i get the kwak versys etc, which whilst a good bike, isn't a bmw. it would've ended up costing me money as i'd have changed by now. get what you want off the bat.

as to restriction, bmw suspected that the 650 would be the one that people would go for in your position, and so they created a bespoke restriction kit that comes fitted. it is possible to restrict the 800, but it's a different animal to restrict (strangely given that it's the same engine:confused:) and will cost you some £250 according to my local dealer.

both bikes are brilliant by all accounts. if it's mainly road-work with the odd off-road galavant, the 650 is maybe your answer given your height. many go for the 800 because they think it looks more aggressive and will never take if off-road; they're the ones for whom it'll always look like it's come out of the showroom. my advice is to opt for something that will suit your riding and size, and get it right first time! :)

good luck on the U-turn fella!

It's not just the size...

I went for the 650 over the 800 for the following reasons, nothing to do with height/dimensions:
- 19" front wheel permits a different tyre selection.
- Cast wheels permit the use of tubeless tyres
- More than enough power
- Cheaper by a long shot
- Slightly better fuel mileage (?)

Not had any reason to second guess myself since. :thumb2:aidan

Thanks everyone for all the advice, at the moment i'm swaying towards the 650, with all the extra's it would probably still work out cheaper than the 800, and the cast wheels appeal to me more than the wire ones, also not into power and speed, leave all that to the younger generation.....God that makes me sound old :rob

Its just a small issue of getting the test sorted now :confused:

good luck with the test.

I did my test on my 125 last year and took the restriction hit - i figured it wasn't going to make any difference to me as a noob. I have a 650 and love it. I'm 5'7" and TBH I think the 800 would be too tall and a real pain - it's great knowing your feet touch the ground! The 650 is fab - I've dropped it :blast (several times - through stalling, pulling away at juntions, bouncing it off kerbs, trying to ride it through loose stones etc etc) and can lift it on my own (most of the time).

I find it heavy to push about though and I had an aftermarket screen which prevented full steering lock which really put me off tight turns - got rid of that screen and spent the weekend driving it in circles in car parks :p slowly improving my confidence again.

1 year in with it and I've learned loads and still got loads to learn :bounce1
enjoy

I opted for a factory lowered suspension F650GS twin with a low seat. Being 5' 6" and 28" inseam, it was simply a better choice for me. I can mostly flat feet on both feet and not worry about those frequent times when I have to stop on the road with that odd slope or pot hole.

I suspect you already know this - but if not: for the U turn, look at where you want to go at the start of the U turn and not at the road in front of your tyre.

Good luck on your test and happy riding.

The wheel choice is important if you ever intend to do off-road, spoked rims are tougher.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, at the moment i'm swaying towards the 650, with all the extra's it would probably still work out cheaper than the 800, and the cast wheels appeal to me more than the wire ones, also not into power and speed, leave all that to the younger generation.....God that makes me sound old :rob

Its just a small issue of getting the test sorted now :confused:

Hopefully the bike will be new and I cant afford to take it off road..... Think i'd invest in something older if I did..... I also have a Disco and the nearest that gets to offroad is parking on the verge :augie...... It was great fun i the snow mind....

The new 650 is a 800!!! (both 800cc)

Yes Bmw did a restrictor for the 800, its the 650.

anyhoo, i would recommend you get a 650 single not the new twin, restrict that to 33hp, its done very cheaply (£5-£10 for part, 10min fit) and your away.

Yes, the last post is correct. The new 650GS and the 800GS have the same engine. One thing that i noticed when i compared the old 650GS (race can fitted) to my 800GS is that the performance was about the same until you put them under load. In this case my wife as pillion :nenau The 650GS was very noticeably slower. The 800GS performed about the same as without a pillion!

My wife weights about 8 stone (if only she knew i was discussing her weight on a public forum). :bow

I had problems with U-turns as well. Got up the morning of the test and was at the riding school at 7am practicing the slow stuff until 9am. 10am the bike broke down and had to have a completely different bike :blast Still got through though.

One thing i would say is that the 800 is a hand full for a new biker. But still go for it. But don't take risks in the first 4000 miles. It WILL bite you!!

Good luck.

All bikes will bite if your nervous of them

I remember 20 odd years ago getting a rm500 for a loaner, bite me it did!!!!

mind you i knew how mental they were and thought, what the hell:mmmm

The new 650 is a 800!!! (both 800cc)

Yes Bmw did a restrictor for the 800, its the 650.

anyhoo, i would recommend you get a 650 single not the new twin, restrict that to 33hp, its done very cheaply (£5-£10 for part, 10min fit) and your away.

spot on

650 single rather than twin?
I was looking at getting a new bike so it would have to be the twin, also the 650 can be rstricted before delivery and de-resticte 2yrs later, FOC.
Is the single a better bike than the newer twin? I've read they vibrate a lot and due to me really only uing it on road would I find the vibs annoying?

If you can afford it go for the twin - it's a lot smoother and just as easy to ride.
Good luck with the test x

Buz, i wouldnt say the new 650 is better or worse than the older 650 single, just that the new 650 is in fact a 800, and is smother. And the vibrations your thinking of is not as bad as you think. It aint gona shake your head off or bounce you out the seat.:comfort

I would think that in two years time you may very well be bored of the 650 twin, and you would loose a large amount of cash.
hence get a older single, learn to ride that for two years, sell at a similar price you paid for it (they do hold their value quite well) then buy a new bike.

Back
Top Bottom