Routing problem Zumo 660 - PC to device

Wapping

Reaction score
My Zumo 660 is behaving bizarrely.

I create routes as normal on my PC. As usual Mapsource draws them following the roads I have chosen using either the Route or Waypoint tools. This is OK.

I then send the routes to the route and waypoints to the 660, using the Send to device button. That is fine,too.

The routes then appears in the 'Custom routes' section of the 'Where to' section. That is fine.

Now something is going wrong.

I then summon up the route I want, which is fine, so far.

When I then preview the route or try to ride it, it simply appears in straight lines on the map ie. it is stuck in 'Off road' mode - literally taking me in straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, from start to finish. There is no road-by-road instructions or information.

In the Naviagation screen, I have ensured that the 'Off road' default button is not checked. The device is set to fastest time.

I then prompted the 660 to recalculate the route. The 'Off road' button is now appearing as lit, so I have to manually switch it to 'Fastest route'. The 660 will them match the route to the roads but will drop great chunks of the route out. For instance, a five hour run from Calais to Le Mans is reduced to 30 minutes, finishing somewhere near the French Channel coast!

If I then ask the 660 to calculate a route itself, say from London to the South of France at Nice, it will do it perfectly. So it seems that when the 660 receives routes from my PC it is simply taking them as 'Off road' and losing the finer (and more complicated) instructions to follow roads.

I have raised the problem with Garmin.

I had this too and was swearing like a good 'un at what a pos this 660 was. Then I got back home and found out you have to import it on the device after sending it to the device. The route I have used is:

Tools > My Data > Import Data > Routes > click on file name > click Import

It then does the necessary digital jiggery-pokery to sort it all out. The clunky thing is that when you go to Custom Routes, both files are there - the one with the straight lines (useless) and one with the same file name except it's got a 1 after it.:nenau

Probably someone with more understanding of this stuff can sort it out more neatly. Whatton? :)

Seen this myself, emailed Garmin then found a report on zumoforums.com where they claim Garmin know about it and are working on a fix.

I have found that if you simply recalculate the current (active) route it works ok but as already pointed out, doing it with the saved route trashes it.

. . . v2.90 on its way ??????

paul

My Zumo 660 is behaving bizarrely.

I create routes as normal on my PC. As usual Mapsource draws them following the roads I have chosen using either the Route or Waypoint tools. This is OK.

I then send the routes to the route and waypoints to the 660, using the Send to device button. That is fine,too.

The routes then appears in the 'Custom routes' section of the 'Where to' section. That is fine.

Now something is going wrong.

I then summon up the route I want, which is fine, so far.

When I then preview the route or try to ride it, it simply appears in straight lines on the map ie. it is stuck in 'Off road' mode - literally taking me in straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, from start to finish. There is no road-by-road instructions or information.

In the Naviagation screen, I have ensured that the 'Off road' default button is not checked. The device is set to fastest time.

I then prompted the 660 to recalculate the route. The 'Off road' button is now appearing as lit, so I have to manually switch it to 'Fastest route'. The 660 will them match the route to the roads but will drop great chunks of the route out. For instance, a five hour run from Calais to Le Mans is reduced to 30 minutes, finishing somewhere near the French Channel coast!

If I then ask the 660 to calculate a route itself, say from London to the South of France at Nice, it will do it perfectly. So it seems that when the 660 receives routes from my PC it is simply taking them as 'Off road' and losing the finer (and more complicated) instructions to follow roads.

I have raised the problem with Garmin.

Malcvtr / Paul

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Tools > My Data > Import Data > Routes > click on file name > click Import makes sense. The 1 at the end means that it is a copy, I assume.

I guess it's the same as the 550's prompt of "Found new data; would you like to manage new data" but the 660 misses the prompt out. The 550 of course kept the route original as well, a useful feature in case you lost or altered the original.

I will give it a go and see what happens.

Richard

The seqential route numbering issue when importing routes is being addressed by Garmin, apparently. I was with them in Southampton, yesterday.

Whilst we're on the subject, as the 660 only stores 20 routes on it's internal flash drive, you need MapSource to 'send' additional routes to the Micro SD card (assuming you have one). This device will appear in the drop down list when you select the 'send' function.

Why it's limited to 20 routes, when I'm seeing 1.5Gb free space, is beyond me, but hey ho.

As I'm off to the South of France tomorrow, and like to have a route mapped out for every eventuality, I've got into the habit of only 'sending' routes to the Micro SD card.

I also suspect most of us like to keep 'old' or favourite routes on their GPS for posterity, so sending them to the memory card works for me.

Yoy

The seqential route numbering issue when importing routes is being addressed by Garmin, apparently. I was with them in Southampton, yesterday.

Whilst we're on the subject, as the 660 only stores 20 routes on it's internal flash drive, you need MapSource to 'send' additional routes to the Micro SD card (assuming you have one). This device will appear in the drop down list when you select the 'send' function.

Why it's limited to 20 routes, when I'm seeing 1.5Gb free space, is beyond me, but hey ho.

As I'm off to the South of France tomorrow, and like to have a route mapped out for every eventuality, I've got into the habit of only 'sending' routes to the Micro SD card.

I also suspect most of us like to keep 'old' or favourite routes on their GPS for posterity, so sending them to the memory card works for me.

Yoy

Yo Yoy!

I too spoke to the nice fellows at Garmin yesterday, who confirmed that they were aware of the problem and working on a fix.

Once used, I remove routes from the device / card, simply storing them on my PC. So '20 is plenty' as they say on those annoying signs.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom