Petrol leak on Adventure ...

Banjaxed

Reaction score
Well, after first seeing this problem on the AdvRider website and checking my bike each time I rode, today it finally struck. Turned on the bike, pressed the starter button and watched fuel leak all along the lower pipe. Seconds later, a jet of petrol shot out, all over the engine casing.
Bugger - end of tonight's ride.
So, off to Halfords and a new screw-type clamp as a temporary fix (see posting on the AdvRider site). A reply to my posting there suggested that this is the main spot for leaks, as it's the only nylon pipe/rubber hose joint on the high pressure side. Seems that the crimped connectors are fine elsewhere, but this joint is going to leak.
Going on a trip? Replace this one now.

The Adventures are not the only ones with leaky petrol lines, Mine finally started spraying last week at just short of 10k miles, even though I had checked the hoses as far as I could a few months ago when I heard about the problem..... Go on check yer hoses go on, go on, go on

cheers

Chris:(

Can you post a pic of which hoses to check . I've never had a problem on previous bikes - but now i'd like to check mine now.

Fuel lines

JohnnyB,

may get chance to nip out with the camara when the trees stop falling down later on, but in the meantime,, I think you have a 2002 built bike [mine was built october26 last year] and as I belive all built after october 2001 have the CPC quick release's fitted in the delivery and return lines that are under the pull off cover on the right hand side of the tank. The leak on mine was at the crimped junction between the rubber and the nylon hose. On mine the leak was not apparant at first but in hindsight I now know that the sticky yellow mess on the top of the gearbox was caused by the start of the leak, I only proper noticed it when I got off the bike at work and say a ball of ice formed around the join:p

If you still need a piccy let us know

Cheers

Chris

Here's a photo...

Right hand side of the bike, the lower fuel line.
Be careful in tighteneing the Jubilee clip - the rigid fuel line is made of plastic.

That's an interesting photo!

My 2000 R1150GS came with jubilee clips, not crimped clips. Obviously a design modification that doesn't work so well!

Greg

Despite having checked...

...the fuel lines regularly since reading about this snag on the ADVrider forum, I suddenly became aware of a strong smell of petrol whilst stopped at the lights today. Sure enough, the lower fuel line was leaking (at a rate of about 2-3 drops per second). By the time (2 mins) I'd got home, it had stopped. I took the bike to my dealer who said that they've had a lot bikes in with this problem. Apparently the inside of the plastic coated pipe is often perished. They seem to think BMW may have used an 'old stock' supply of pipe. The fuel lines in the photo have, by the look of it, been modified at some time. My pipes are gloss black in appearance and look like they might be fairly rigid/brittle. The connectores on mine are crimped on. They've kept the bike to fix it (under warranty - it was going in for its 18k service this week anyway). I'll post what they've done when I get it back....

MikeO:)

ps forgot to mention - it's a 2002 Adventure

My bike had the leak aswell. 2 secs with apair of pliers sorted it.(to lazy to goto halfords)

What a useful bunch

Well today I started up my GS Adv after a couple of months lay off and sure enough the leak which I had been studiously ignoring has turned into a full on gusher - perfect. Type in "fuel leak" to the forum and hey presto the answer is here. Thanks guys, again.

One question though - since this is clearly a common problem (ref Adv Rider site) why no recall? Come to think of it, why is the most expensive bike I've ever bought the most unreliable? Come to think of that, why do BMW have a reputation for build quality?

Are we all a bit complacent about registering these faults?

Just wondered that's all.

Richard

Same problem

I had exactly the same problem on my 7 month old 1150GS.
The BMW recovery people came out and transported the bike 75 miles back to Vines. Supplied me with a hire car for 4 days.

I reckon that little lot must have cost 'em over £250!

All for a (known) faulty fuel clip.

Back
Top Bottom