Which single?

Wingit

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of buying a single cylinder for general offroading, green lanes etc.

Which would you go for, a 650 x challenge or a Yam WR 450 F
(or something else?) and why??

In amongst the obligatory and anticipated p*ss take replies, a couple of sensible suggestions would be appreciated.

I am interested to know which you think would be the most reliable, easiest to work on, cheapest to run, fun to ride etc. etc.

Bear in mind that I want something I can ride on the road to the offroad trails.

I appreciate this is the x challenge forum so I might not get a balanced reply but try your best boys!

Cheers, Ken.

How far are the trails from you?

It makes a big difference to the road biase you are looking for, DAMHIK :blast

I don't need the bike to do long transit distances. I live on the edge of the Peak District so I'd probably be mostly playing around that area.

I'm mainly looking for something that would be OK on the road but is more offroad biased rather than the other way around.

Cheers.

If you usually ride one of the bigger twins off road you'll find the Xchallange nice and light.
If you're a newbie off road then the xchallange will feel big and heavy. And you might want to consider something smaller/lighter for a while.

If you think you can cope with a heavy trail bike then the xchallange does tick all the right boxes (good on road, service intervals etc).

A lot will depend also on who you ride with, and the sort of trails they ride :D

I have noticed that the xchallange is rapidly becoming "the trail bike to have" for "those in the know".

Difficult one !

I've just gone from a WR250R to a G650 Xchallenge. My WR250r got stolen and a fancied a change anyway, so got the Xchallenge.

I got the Xchallenge because I wanted something with more power to lump my big 15-16 stone ass around, but as a result the Xchallenge is a lot heavier and a very tall bike (changed the seat to make it lower).

But saying that the Wr's are also quite tall. Test riding it last weekend I managed to go over everything I did in my wr250. The only problem I had was the occasional stall on some technical stuff. I think the Xchallenge would be better with a 6 speed box rather than 5. I think I will be changing the front sprocket to help resolve this a little.

Another major reason for me buying the Xchallenge was security. None of the 'off road' bikes have an ignition, they are simply too easy to nick.

With commuting to work on a bike and having one stolen, I didn't want to risk getting one with no ignition. I also looked at the BMW G450X, but didn't buy purely to the lack of ignition.

Hope this helps a little. :thumb

I don't need the bike to do long transit distances. I live on the edge of the Peak District so I'd probably be mostly playing around that area.

I'm mainly looking for something that would be OK on the road but is more offroad biased rather than the other way around.

Cheers.

You live in the same town as me, We will have to go and have ride out when you get sorted. You can come over and check my KTM 640 out if you like - I suppose that will be similar"ish" to what you are after if you want to get a feel for weight etc.

So, I'm thinking of buying a single cylinder for general offroading, green lanes etc.

Which would you go for, a 650 x challenge or a Yam WR 450 F
(or something else?) and why??

In amongst the obligatory and anticipated p*ss take replies, a couple of sensible suggestions would be appreciated.

I am interested to know which you think would be the most reliable, easiest to work on, cheapest to run, fun to ride etc. etc.

Bear in mind that I want something I can ride on the road to the offroad trails.

I appreciate this is the x challenge forum so I might not get a balanced reply but try your best boys!

Cheers, Ken.

I had a day off road recently on a X Challenge, brill. The seat is a bit high but oof road you wont spend much time sitting down! :D

Goughie

If you usually ride one of the bigger twins off road you'll find the Xchallange nice and light.
If you're a newbie off road then the xchallange will feel big and heavy. And you might want to consider something smaller/lighter for a while.

If you think you can cope with a heavy trail bike then the xchallange does tick all the right boxes (good on road, service intervals etc).

A lot will depend also on who you ride with, and the sort of trails they ride :D

I have noticed that the xchallange is rapidly becoming "the trail bike to have" for "those in the know".

Spout, I ride a R1200GSA so I'm happy with a heavy bike. I haven't used my GSA offroad but I've done 2 BMW offroad courses on Pavey's R1200GS's and get on fine with them off road. Also, I have had a quick go of the X Challenge offroad but only a 10 minute blast at Walters Arena so not really long enough to figure out if it's a keeper or not. Plus when I rode it I wasn't thinking of buying one so wasn't assessing it re: purchasing. I must say though, of all the bikes at BMW Offroad Skills, my favourites to ride were the R1200GS and the X Challenge.

You live in the same town as me, We will have to go and have ride out when you get sorted. You can come over and check my KTM 640 out if you like - I suppose that will be similar"ish" to what you are after if you want to get a feel for weight etc.

Mat, I'd like to take you up on that. Maybe we could meet in Macc for a coffee or a pint and I can pick your brains on one or two things re offroad etc.

Difficult one !

I've just gone from a WR250R to a G650 Xchallenge. My WR250r got stolen and a fancied a change anyway, so got the Xchallenge.

I got the Xchallenge because I wanted something with more power to lump my big 15-16 stone ass around, but as a result the Xchallenge is a lot heavier and a very tall bike (changed the seat to make it lower).

But saying that the Wr's are also quite tall. Test riding it last weekend I managed to go over everything I did in my wr250. The only problem I had was the occasional stall on some technical stuff. I think the Xchallenge would be better with a 6 speed box rather than 5. I think I will be changing the front sprocket to help resolve this a little.

Another major reason for me buying the Xchallenge was security. None of the 'off road' bikes have an ignition, they are simply too easy to nick.

With commuting to work on a bike and having one stolen, I didn't want to risk getting one with no ignition. I also looked at the BMW G450X, but didn't buy purely to the lack of ignition.

Hope this helps a little. :thumb

Tangerine,
So on the whole are you happy with the XChallenge up to now?

Wingit, I think you are restricting what trails you can use with a 650X, it is too big for some of the trickier trails East of where you live.
Even a WR450 will take some controlling, and not knowing how much experience you have, please do not take this personally.;)
Out of the two bikes, I would ride the 450 in the Peaks living where you do. If I had to ride from Wirral to the Peaks, then yes, the 650X would be just the ticket, just restricting the scope of trail when in the PD.
Myself, I have a taste for DRZ-Es, cheap with long service intervals but they are not to everyones liking, but hey, we are all different.
At present I own and ride a DRZ-E, a G450X, a G650X-challenge, a Tenere660 and a 1200GSA, so I have a good choice to make a comment from.

Timpo.

We will have to go and have ride out when you get sorted.
Don't forget to post a "heads up" in the Peaks section, there may be others want to play :thumb
(and you might get the chance to compare with an HP :D)

Wingit, I think you are restricting what trails you can use with a 650X, it is too big for some of the trickier trails East of where you live.
Even a WR450 will take some controlling, and not knowing how much experience you have, please do not take this personally.;)
Out of the two bikes, I would ride the 450 in the Peaks living where you do. If I had to ride from Wirral to the Peaks, then yes, the 650X would be just the ticket, just restricting the scope of trail when in the PD.
Myself, I have a taste for DRZ-Es, cheap with long service intervals but they are not to everyones liking, but hey, we are all different.
At present I own and ride a DRZ-E, a G450X, a G650X-challenge, a Tenere660 and a 1200GSA, so I have a good choice to make a comment from.

Timpo.

Timpo, Thanks for the advice. My experience offroad is fairly limited. 4 days offroad with BMW on the 1200 and 4 days offroad in Andalucia on a TTR 250.
I'm at the stage now where I want to go and play out on my own machine on a more regular basis so I can gain more experience / skill levels etc.
I want a bike with a big enough engine to cope reasonably on tarmac but small enough to be fun offroad. Maybe I should take a closer look at the Yamaha as I have had a go on the X Challenge.

Don't forget to post a "heads up" in the Peaks section, there may be others want to play :thumb
(and you might get the chance to compare with an HP :D)

Well once I finally get the bike I'll be looking for some likely suspects to get out in the Peaks with.

The WR450 is going to be a right handful for you. It is a revvy engine, prone to stalling, making hills starts on wet or loose gravel difficult, but not impossible for an experienced rider. Once 'on song' they go very well indeed....
Really, I think you would get by with a TTR as a first bike as you are on the edge of a very lane rich area so the road bias can be forfeited for a tame useable machine, with elec start and good service intervals.
Once you have got used to the TTR, it will sell easy enough and you can move up the ladder to a WR.
I have taken plenty of folks out who have aimed too high with their bike purchase and be totally dis-heartened at not being to handle the bike up a mediocre trail. This is also why I have had a try of so many bikes, having ridden their bikes for them out of the tricky spots.
OK, this is my experiences of course, there will be others on here that will say.... get a KTM450EXC blah-blah-blah, but in the PD, you'll soon wish you hadn't.....
Best of luck with your purchasing, and keep me posted. If you need any help, please drop me a PMand I'll try to assist.:thumb2

By the way, it is in your interest to join the TRF. There is a constant change of legal routes in your area, and a local TRF will keep you as legal as you can be. Virtual Peaks TRF is a handy group as they are internet based.

Timpo.

Husky TE610 :nenau

I've had mine 6 months or so now and really like it. Came to it from a DRZ and agree with Timpo, they are great bikes (DRZ) and loved mine. Only got rid as I wanted a bit more poke for the Rd and to use as a Supermoto (it's a 40-60 min. run to the trails I ride from Nottingham).

A bit of a write up HERE

Andres

The WR450 is going to be a right handful for you.

Seconded - tool for heroes, loons, and pros. I had the opportunity to do a lap of the Hafren on a factory spec WR450 a while back, and didn't even get halfway round before sobbing to be let back on to my CRF250X.

Even if you master the WR, you'll have more fun on the Xchallenge. And it's got to be fun, right?

Mup.

The WR450 is going to be a right handful for you. It is a revvy engine, prone to stalling, making hills starts on wet or loose gravel difficult, but not impossible for an experienced rider. Once 'on song' they go very well indeed....
Really, I think you would get by with a TTR as a first bike as you are on the edge of a very lane rich area so the road bias can be forfeited for a tame useable machine, with elec start and good service intervals.
Once you have got used to the TTR, it will sell easy enough and you can move up the ladder to a WR.
I have taken plenty of folks out who have aimed too high with their bike purchase and be totally dis-heartened at not being to handle the bike up a mediocre trail. This is also why I have had a try of so many bikes, having ridden their bikes for them out of the tricky spots.
OK, this is my experiences of course, there will be others on here that will say.... get a KTM450EXC blah-blah-blah, but in the PD, you'll soon wish you hadn't.....
Best of luck with your purchasing, and keep me posted. If you need any help, please drop me a PMand I'll try to assist.:thumb2

By the way, it is in your interest to join the TRF. There is a constant change of legal routes in your area, and a local TRF will keep you as legal as you can be. Virtual Peaks TRF is a handy group as they are internet based.

Timpo.

Timpo, Thanks. That's really good advice. I'm going to give it more serious thought before making a decision. I must admit, I liked the TTR for the reasons you mentioned above but, if possible, I fancy something with a little more power albeit with a civilised delivery if there is such a bike for me.

Your dead right regarding choosing the right weapon. I used to fly hang gliders and paragliders years ago and occasionally witnessed inexperienced pilots buying high performance kit then proceeding to scare themselves sh*tless and taking a backwards step rather than a forward one. Most guys got the choice right. Usually after speaking to the gliding equivalent of someone like yourself.

And yes, I'd heard that the lane status over here is subject to changes and will be joining the TRF. I do a bit of walking etc. myself and don't want to unnecessarily p*ss anybody off out there on the trails.

Difficult choices, Wingit

Personally I think my XChallenge is one of the best trailbikes I've had and I've had some HONDA/KTM/Suzuki ones in the past

Your (lack of) experience is your limiting factor and another (unknown to me) is your fitness....................that said, I'd get a good blue model TTR250R with electric and kickstart.

It'll be docile enough to build up your experience on

4 days @ BMW offroad skills is just a taster to the dirt scene and doesn't really qualify for anything except raw beginner...................sorry:bounce1

Going to a XChallenge will put you right off.................it's quite heavy and has an engine that likes a bit of revs..................whereas you need a small 4 stroke with an engine able to deliver low down grunt - TTR250 is fine for this

There's one here for sale too http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206712 and at £1150 is ideal for you to learn stuff on

The last thing you want is to be 'overbiked' as a raw novice

The Xchallenge is a nice trailbike but as Timpo says...................you will be limited on which trails you can ride

I chose more wisely now:D, than I did 20 years ago.................as I don't want to spend 4 hours pulling a bike out of a bog on Foxup or Dandra Garth in the Yorkshire Dales:augie:blast

As you get older :rob you realise things like this and on the XChallenge it's best to plan ahead.................normally about 30' ahead and don't be the first rider down a lane:D

Back
Top Bottom