Repair to Petrol Gauge and Oil Temperature Sensor - A Successful Day

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So today I have fixed the intermittent oil temperature response on my RID and have now got a working petrol gauge after my recent scare in Orleans. Pretty simple swaps but typically expensive BMW parts, I used;

• AAA00073683 Petrol Gauge 30L @ £180
  • TAA41008 O Ring @ 2:40
  • AAA00073684 Clamps @ 4:70
  • SIA Fuel Filter @ 10:00
  • ELA41602 Oil Temperature Sensor @ £50

Plus cable clips and ties and some normal consumables.

I first tackled the oil temperature sensor and after removing the tank I disconnected the oil cooler line and the thermostat ring and after capturing the little oil that escaped removed the sensor unit without catching the remaining oil lines, the new one just screwed into place and I reconnected the cables using a little dielectric grease and then reconnected the oil cooler lines, tightening torque is 12nm.

Then with the tank drained I removed the fuel pump and filter mounting plate and lined up the new plate with the old one and methodically and very carefully swapped the fuel pump and strainer onto the new plate. I took the opportunity to renew the fuel filter as the unit was out of the tank and then refitted using a new O ring – tightening torque for the outer ring fixing bolts is 5nm.

Once the tank was back in place I refilled with about 20L and switched on – after about 10 seconds the fuel gauge started to show 2 then 3 the 4 bars – success. A shakedown ride (well you just have to don’t you) showed the oil temperature unit working correctly (back to five bars and normal temperature) and the fuel gauge was working fine.

The cause of the past failure is as usual wear on the simple spindle arm – mine had visible movement between the pin and the holding arm and consequently the sender was not in contact with the sliding contact so no reading, on a ten year old bike not bad so if this one lasts as long I will be pleased and it is a relief to have the gauge working again.

Attachments

• New plate correctly assembled (Medium).JPG
    New plate correctly assembled (Medium).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 726
  • Rewire the Pump Correctly (Medium).JPG
    Rewire the Pump Correctly (Medium).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 450
  • Spindle Arm Wear (Medium).JPG
    Spindle Arm Wear (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 433
Good post bnut oh why did you use those horrible BMW pipe clips, get injector pipe clips with a little nut and bolt thedy come apart so easily and go back the same.

Clips

I quite like the OE Stainless Steel clips - its easy to use them and remove them when you have the right tool, I know once they are on they are on for ever and I am not planning to do this again for 10 years...

I quite like the OE Stainless Steel clips - its easy to use them and remove them when you have the right tool, I know once they are on they are on for ever and I am not planning to do this again for 10 years...

You will need to change the fuel filter before ten years are up.

RID

Just wanted to know what your original symptons were , my fuel guage goes awol when I fill the tank and at the same time the oil temperature jumps all over the place then after about 90 miles every thing returns to normal , untill I fill the tank again. Did yours do this ?

Just wanted to know what your original symptons were , my fuel guage goes awol when I fill the tank and at the same time the oil temperature jumps all over the place then after about 90 miles every thing returns to normal , untill I fill the tank again. Did yours do this ?

With respect to the fuel gauge it all started by not registering when full then as the tank drained it would show half or three quarters full then drop as the tank drained, but over the last year it has been working intermittently then about six months ago stopped working completely. I know I get between 250 to 300 miles from my 30 litres but I have to say doing a 420 miles round trip yesterday it was nice to have it working again.

The oil temperature switch just used to throw up different results, flicker between 2 to five bars and then settle but constantly under-read. The new one was a straightforward (but fiddly swap) and has restored the temperature gauge to the normal 5 bar constant with warm up showing as incremental increases.

I had tried all the usual fiddling buts with contact clearer and dialectic grease but in the end replacement parts have fixed the faults (perhaps for another 10 years). PM me if you need any help.

Back
Top Bottom