1100GS Running Poorly/Backfiring/Cutting Out

Namastebuzz

Reaction score
OK, I've given my 1100GS to Cyprys on long term lone but it's turning into a white elephant.

Had to change the clutch and then front brake master cylinder. THought it was all good and also balanced the throttle bodies using a DIY manometer (which I've done several times before).

When Cyprys picked it up to ride back to Edinburgh it died slightly at higher speeds and now it's cutting out and backfiring.

He's got new plugs for it and I advised checking ignition wires, sidestand cutout and fuel tank breathers although diagnosing at a distance is hard. The throttle cables ARE properly seated.

The backfire would indicate too much fuel in the mix I suppose? Would the balancing have cocked things up because it ran passably before? Anyway, I can't really answer questions on how it's riding but I'm sure if anyone has any ideas Cyprys will be along to illuminate things.

Cheers ;)

I was always under the impression that Hall sensor faults tended to be pretty much binary - can they gradually break down? :confused:

I'm not 100% sure offhand Mike, my suggestion isn't based on personal experience:D but believe they can break down gradually as it's wiring begins to fail.

When my hall sensor went to hall sensor heaven the bike simply stopped. dead.

the rev counter did its dance of death and that was it. one dead engine.

I had no running issues leading up to the failure. maybe thats not typical....

Fortunately I was looking at the rev counter when it happened and so the diagnosis was instant. a new hall sensor and the bike was back to how it was seconds before the break down - perfect.

thanks guys,
Ordered new hall sensor from Motorworks. will see if this fixes the problem. funny thing is that I can start the bike OK, it works nicely for 2 minutes and then the chocking/coughing/spitting/ backfiring mix starts again. Will replace the hall sensor and let you know....
cyprys

thanks guys,
Ordered new hall sensor from Motorworks. will see if this fixes the problem. funny thing is that I can start the bike OK, it works nicely for 2 minutes and then the chocking/coughing/spitting/ backfiring mix starts again. Will replace the hall sensor and let you know....
cyprys

More Hall Sensor symptom:D

OK, I've given my 1100GS to Cyprys on long term lone but it's turning into a white elephant.

Had to change the clutch and then front brake master cylinder. THought it was all good and also balanced the throttle bodies using a DIY manometer (which I've done several times before).

When Cyprys picked it up to ride back to Edinburgh it died slightly at higher speeds and now it's cutting out and backfiring.

He's got new plugs for it and I advised checking ignition wires, sidestand cutout and fuel tank breathers although diagnosing at a distance is hard. The throttle cables ARE properly seated.

The backfire would indicate too much fuel in the mix I suppose? Would the balancing have cocked things up because it ran passably before? Anyway, I can't really answer questions on how it's riding but I'm sure if anyone has any ideas Cyprys will be along to illuminate things.

Cheers ;)

mine was very similar and it needed a new fuel filter

The fuel pump could also be dodgy: Erratic fuel delivery could easily show these symptoms.

I look forward to hearing what happens with the Hall sensor replacement. :thumb

thanks guys,
cyprys

I guess you have checked the petrol tank breather hoses are not pinched from having the tank off ?????????????

The fuel pump could also be dodgy: Erratic fuel delivery could easily show these symptoms.

I look forward to hearing what happens with the Hall sensor replacement. :thumb

Agree, but fuel pumps and filters usually give warning as in NOISY, I didnt hear that symptom mentioned? :D

Agree, but fuel pumps and filters usually give a warning; as in NOISY. I didnt read that that symptom was mentioned? :D

As far as I know the filter does not have any moving parts. :confused:

Anyway, when my fuel pump failed last year it did not sound noisy but it did give similar symptoms, and if the complainant did not notice it, whilst wearing a crash helmet at speed, then it wouldn't be mentioned or was forgotten during his explaination. Mine primed when power was applied but died within a minute or so and eventually failed completely.

Which part do you reckon they'll enjoy replacing the most?

Also, the OP should do a search here for the reference to the cheaper motorcar pump if he needs one. :thumb
I did it for him. :rob

I can't help thinking it has something to do with the previous work though but, must trust his work and the fact he says it was good before it's hand over.

I do hope we get the report upon how it was resolved. :bounce1

:thumb
As far as I know the filter does not have any moving parts. :confused:

Anyway, when my fuel pump failed last year it did not sound noisy but it did give similar symptoms, and if the complainant did not notice it, whilst wearing a crash helmet at speed, then it wouldn't be mentioned or was forgotten during his explaination. Mine primed when power was applied but died within a minute or so and eventually failed completely.

Which part do you reckon they'll enjoy replacing the most?

Also, the OP should do a search here for the reference to the cheaper motorcar pump if he needs one. :thumb
I did it for him. :rob

I can't help thinking it has something to do with the previous work though but, must trust his work and the fact he says it was good before it's hand over.

I do hope we get the report upon how it was resolved. :bounce1

The filter has no moving parts, but if blocked / fouled it has a high differential pressure so the pump works HARDER so it makes more noise.
The pump is noisier as it breaks down, but failure can be a year later, if pump primes I have not had one then stop and restart when cool, to me that is hall sensor typical. But I am only an engineer not a mechanic
:thumb

Edit, I replaced my pump first "el cheapo" then Bosch equivalent, felt more comfortable

I guess you have checked the petrol tank breather hoses are not pinched from having the tank off ?????????????

that was my first thought. checked. they were not pinched. I even took the tank of the hinges and fired the engine. same symptoms.

Misfiring

Open the fual; cap and try running with it open, if the breather is blocked it would cause the same symtoms.
Dave GS.

Oh yeah I forgot - the fuel pump is noisy as hell when the tank is getting empty although surely that would mean too little fuel rather than too much?

Oh yeah I forgot - the fuel pump is noisy as hell when the tank is getting empty although surely that would mean too little fuel rather than too much?

If you are going to extract the fuel pump be very careful with the nuts that hold the fuel guage assembley onto the tank because the studs are very easy to break off apparently. When I did mine they were very rusty and a couple of them needed a bit of nursing. Give them a soak in a releasing agent (WD40) prior to removing them.

Yeah no worries.

The pump has been in and out a few times as it an Adventure tank on for a while.

Back
Top Bottom