How I raised the rear end on my R1100RT

dancata

Reaction score
Hi all,

So on the street I live, there appeared some speed bumpers. All good so far, but they were not build up to spec. Meaning they are a little high and the old RT touches them, when I have my gf on the rear seat.

So what I did was to mount the linkage from under the shaft housing from a 1100 GS. From what I documented and read, there are 2 kinds of linkages, 365 and 385 mm long each. The Rt had the longer one so I mounted the one of a GS.

Results? I have taken measurement before and after and the bike gained 3 cm in hight since the mod. I can definettly feel the modification in hight just by standing on the bike. Handling did not change too much but I can't wait to get the bike on the twisties on this w/e.

So for the linkage that came off my bike, I already found an use. A friend just purchased an 1150 GSA, 2004. He is kind of short, leg-wise and if height is a problem for him, we will try to install the longer RT linkage on his bike, then come back with impressions and measurements, in case anyone is interested.

So, so far so good :)

Thanks,
Dan.

Torque arm

They used to sell adjustable ones in the states, when I used to get the american owners club mag used to be in there, good luck with the mod.
Dave GS

They used to sell adjustable ones in the states, when I used to get the american owners club mag used to be in there, good luck with the mod.
Dave GS

Yes, I first thought about building one of those, it's not that hard. But I did not know the limits on how long/shourt it should be.

But with what I did, it should all be ok, since the FD is the same, the shaft housing is the same, etc. Not sure though if ground clearence difference between the GS and the RT should interfere...

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom