RT for the taller rider?

JKW

Reaction score
Just had a couple of hours out on an RT for the first time. Leaving aside the fact that this is my first time with the Boxer engine (currently ride an F800GS) and all that that entails I have a couple of issues because of my size (I'm 6'4") and wonder whether anyone has had similar problems and how they dealt with them.

1) Bars - I know the riding position is different on the RT but I find the reach just too much. I'm told by the dealer that you can fit 20mm risers without having to mess with the cables. I think this is probably going to be enough to relax the shoulders but is it as simple as it appears?

2) Pegs - there just isn't enough room between seat and pegs for my long legs even with seat fully raised and ESA pre-load at max. :eek: The dealer suggests a peg lowering kit - any recommendations/experiences you'd care to share? How much extra can I expect to gain and any issues to watch out for?

Of course, even with the adjustments I'd still have to 'take a flier' because I can't see a dealer fitting a bike up just for me to have another test ride - but if there's some experience out there it would help.

Because of budget (and the fact that I HATE the new indicator switchgear) I'll be looking at the pre-2010 model (just in case that makes any difference). :thumb

My RT is absoloutly fine as standard, needs bigger tank range for comfort to be a problem :beerjug: and I am 6'4" :thumb2:thumb2

It is a 1987 K. I dont suppose you wanted to know about such ancient shite :jibber:jibber:jibber

I'm 6' 2" with a 33" inside leg and can sit on my 2008 RT all day. I ride with the seat in the high position. The occasional leg stretch whilst riding does help. I have the 25mm Risers which make a big difference to comfort as I have a neck problem and I also used to get cramp in my forearms. They are very easy to fit and require no alerations to cables etc. In fact the BMW Factory Technical Rep has ridden my bike and he said it is the most comy RT he has ridden. Agree with your comments on the new (read cheaper) switch gear. Note also that in a bid to save a few more bob the new RT's now come with GS Forks.

Last edited:
I have TWO sets of risers on my '05 RT. Installed a slightly longer front brake hose and routed the clutch hose outside the stanchion - works just fine

doesnt matter what setting you have the esa on it wont alter the seat/peg distance.

doesnt matter what setting you have the esa on it wont alter the seat/peg distance.

You know that's what I thought...but the man at Alan Jeffries was insistent that it would and I am far too polite to argue (at least when I know nowt about it!) :beerjug:

I'm 6' 2" with a 33" inside leg and can sit on my 2008 RT all day. I ride with the seat in the high position. The occasional leg stretch whilst riding does help. I have the 25mm Risers which make a big difference to comfort as I have a neck problem and I also used to get cramp in my forearms. They are very easy to fit and require no alerations to cables etc. In fact the BMW Factory Technical Rep has ridden my bike and he said it is the most comy RT he has ridden. Agree with your comments on the new (read cheaper) switch gear. Note also that in a bid to save a few more bob the new RT's now come with GS Forks.

Hey Gee - can't PM you 'coz you haven't paid your subs :eek: not that that's a Yorkshire thing at all :bounce1! Whereabouts are you in the glorious republic of Yorks as I wouldn't mind a look at/sit on your 'comfiest ever RT' if possible? :bow

I'm 6'4" and found the seat too low and my size 14 feet got caught up in the fairing.

Has anyone noticed that folks with the same height can have different length legs ?

A.

I'm 6'4" and found the seat too low and my size 14 feet got caught up in the fairing.

Has anyone noticed that folks with the same height can have different length legs ?

A.

Yeh - that's why I asked about bar risers and lowering pegs specifically - long legs - short arms!

No-one's responded on the peg-lowering question yet. :bounce1

Yeh - that's why I asked about bar risers and lowering pegs specifically - long legs - short arms!

No-one's responded on the peg-lowering question yet. :bounce1
The peg lowering kit I have for my old RS shortens the distance between the peg and the controls - just because the peg pivot is at an angle. Not much use with my big feet. But the kit includes the metalwork for adjusting the gear lever which is excellent - on the other side it relied on the built-in adjustment for the brake lever.

Apart from the ground clearance issue there are some excellent kits out there.

A.

Hey Gee - can't PM you 'coz you haven't paid your subs :eek: not that that's a Yorkshire thing at all :bounce1! Whereabouts are you in the glorious republic of Yorks as I wouldn't mind a look at/sit on your 'comfiest ever RT' if possible? :bow

Hello JKW, if you would care to publish your contact details I could arrange to be at somewhere like Helmsley (we where there yesterday for a couple of hours soaking up the sun) at any suitable time and you could have a look and sit.

I have a peg lowering kit and Wunderlich vario risers along with a TT seat. It is a big improvement for me, though I think I may jack up the seat back to the high setting. I fitted the risers to help ease problems with my shoulders. I did find the riding position a bit cramped for my 34" inseam.

I've been through this already....Risers make a big difference to shoulder/back comfort- They usually move the bars back as well as up, and as any girl will tell you,an inch makes quite a difference....You can also fit Peg lowering kit to ease your legs and/or you can get a higher and or wider seat , ( Touratwat offer an exchange service although its cheaper to deal directly with the manufacturer in Germany - Hornig). Then when you've set all that up and are sitting up straight again, you'll find you need a bigger screen as your head is sticking into the turbulence above the screen and its noisy...... Its all do-able. it just costs quite a bit and doesn't handle like a GS and is no good at all off-road, but is still a vary fine bike.

Thanks for all the input folks!

On balance, after suffering with a stinking bad back for 2 days after my test ride, I've decided that I can't risk shelling out for an RT on the off-chance that the mods will make it comfortable for me.

Also - to be honest, I don't think I could live with that gearbox, which was about as smooth and responsive as that found on a pre-war Ferguson tractor :eek:. May just have been the bike I tested but talk about agricultural!

So I've ordered a bigger screen and some farkles for the F800GS - I know I'm never going to get that great weather protection the RT affords but at least I can improve things a bit.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Also - to be honest, I don't think I could live with that gearbox, which was about as smooth and responsive as that found on a pre-war Ferguson tractor :eek:. May just have been the bike I tested but talk about agricultural!

Sorry to hear you have given up on the RT, JK. Most folk do manage to find the right combination of adjustments in the end. With regard to the gearbox, that's a strange one as the 1200RT Box is good. Mayby you did have a bad one, it can happen, although if your test ride was your first go on a Boxer it could be down to technique.

I forgot to mention, I also use a bigger screen, after all this, I'm considering going back to a GS. The RT is a very fine bike, but physically, I think the GS suits me better, or rather the GSA :)

Back
Top Bottom