G650GS or SERTAO

adyb

Reaction score
Hi All

Since having to part with my beloved 1200GS some time ago, I have been bikeless.

I never really did get the use out of the GS that it deserved and if I hadn't sold it, it would have sat in the garage and rotted.

Anyway, having not had a bike for some time now (2 years), I still yearn for a ride out on the odd night or a sunday afternoon, but don't really want to spend loads, as it will be dead money again.

I have ridden the F650GS, the G650GS and the Dertao too.

F650GS didn't seem to fit as well as the G650GS in terms of peg and pedal positions and the saddle generally (I am 5'11")

The sertao was nice, tall and generally felt great.....maybe just a tad too high ?

Just looking for a good honest, reliable, cheap and easy to maintain bike for occassional use only.....So looking like G650GS as I am sure that I dont need the ABS and heated grips which come with the sertao...

Any views. experiences and opinions welcome before I make a mistake.

Is the basic G650GS a capable enough and robust enough thing ?
Is the Sertao really worth the extra £1500 ?
:blast
Thanks

You have to much money is my opinion!

Just buy what ever you fancy in the moment then sell it to some lucky chap with minimal miles on. (Edit lady) as its a girls bike.

Seriously I think there both a bit plasticky cheap and Chinese. What about a husky? Same price range.

Why don't you hire a bike occasionally could be cheaper.....

Sometimes wish I'd gone for the F650GS but didn't want to spend the extra couple of grand.

Sertao felt a little too tall for me (only 5' 9"), and I didn't think the extra cash was warranted for a bike that's not likely to leave tarmac very often. It did look smarter than the basic G650GS though.

So I bought the G650GS; added the heated grips, centre stand, alarm, hand guards, and a power socket (that I've never even looked at), and still feel it was a good buy.

If I did it again, I'd forget the power socket, and fit my own hand guards to save a few quid.

As for robust enough; I'm doing 200 miles a day on B-roads, M-way and London traffic. 14,000 miles so far and the bike still looks and acts like new (I did have to change the chain and sprocket early though).

The plain G is more than bike enough (and better looking IMO).

For extra height stick a Dakar seat on it.

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts.

On balance, it looks like the G650 should give the best value, reliability and hold value for what I need, coupled with the lower height than the sertao for better handling and manoeuvring.

Just need to get a good deal on one now !

I have had my G650GS for a year now and have fitted handlebar risers, lower bigger foot pegs and a Givi screen. I use it all year round and find it to be a very good bike now that the hot start problem appears to be cured.

The plain G is more than bike enough (and better looking IMO).

For extra height stick a Dakar seat on it.

What he says.............!:thumb

www.F650.co.uk is the place to check them out but in the 'G' section...........Just done 60 miles on Mrs P's tonight in the drizzle and loved every minute although we hope to get the 'hot start' issue sorted on our bike next week when it's in for an annual service!

Here's a wee list of bits we've put on our G650GS/FL to make it a bit more rugged

Touratech

Upper engine bars
Lower engine bars
Removeable perspex headlamp protector
Adjustable screen mount
GPS mount
Sump guard
Rear brake master cylinder guard
Rear brake hardpart
Sidestand enlarger plate
Sliding fork leg protectors
Number plate guard
Tankbag and cover
29 litre Zega panniers and inner bags
Rear rack bag
Power socket
2 litre spare fuel cannister and mount

BMW handguards
BMW Alloy ADV topbox conversion
Dakar seat
Specially lowered seat
1" Koubalink rear suspension lowereing links
RR oil temperature guage dipstick

Pretty well sorted now and I just stick the Dakar seat on it, jack the suspension back up and i'm off for a wee ride (when Mrs P isn't looking)...........!

Back
Top Bottom