Anyone know if the drivebelt repair kits works

I split 2 belts on a buell, my fault for not checking but the dealer had the belt too tight, you can run it loose as hell but a fraction too tight and it will split in a heartbeat.
had one go on an FXR (wifes).

Two different types of failure, the buell just snaped accros the belt and the item your talking about would have fixed it no problem.
The fxr one would have been no good as the belt lost a "tooth" and then proceeded to strip a section of teeth about a foot long off the inside of the belt, it didnt actualy snap the belt, that was caused by a large stone getting caught in the belt, and it being an old belt.

I would say get one it cant hurt for the price.
I have the emergency belt and they work very well but a lot more expensive, however you can use them for a lot longer, ie complete your trip round europe as opposed to get to nearest dealer at 30mph only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVI...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item43b47f4903#ht_1961wt_726

As a "get you somewhere" emergency repair. I don't know how drive belts break, is it a clean break or do they shred ?

Does a worldly man like you not carry a pair of lady's nylons for just such an eventuality?

:nenau

[URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drive-Belt-Emergency-Repair-Masterlink-Harley-Davidson-Temporary-Repair-1-Belts-/270875877802?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1175e1aa"]These[/URL] are what i'm talking about.

As a "get you somewhere" emergency repair. I don't know how drive belts break, is it a clean break or do they shred ?

Mine snapped diagonally. No shredding but it wasn't clean at 90 degrees. Whether that would have held it together, I have my doubts. Mind you I would have given it a damn good go if I had one, seeing as I was in the southernmost tip of Ireland at the time (oh how I laughed!).

That masterlink might let you fit a new belt by cutting it neatly without dismantling much - get you to a dealers... non?

Neil,

If your going to get one. I'll have one as well so we can split the shipping cost :thumb

err! as long as it's the same size as mine.

Neil,

If your going to get one. I'll have one as well so we can split the shipping cost :thumb

err! as long as it's the same size as mine.

The link that Bowser posted is no good for my belt. It's 1 1/2 inches wide.

Checking on usa websites as far as i can make out the belts they use are different lengths and have varying amounts of teeth to european models.

Where's a proper expert when you need one instead of a bunch of tassle engineers :D

Not sure about European models being different but there are definite variations on teeth by year. My Superglide had a unique belt just for the one limited edition model as it had 2005 gearbox in the 2006 running gear :blast

I've broken two belts. One had a stone punch through the middle of the belt, then it split either side. The other split diagonally through 3 or 4 teeth. :nenau

Not sure about European models being different but there are definite variations on teeth by year. My Superglide had a unique belt just for the one limited edition model as it had 2005 gearbox in the 2006 running gear :blast

I've broken two belts. One had a stone punch through the middle of the belt, then it split either side. The other split diagonally through 3 or 4 teeth. :nenau

That's good enough for me. You are now our belt expert. :thumb2

That's good enough for me. You are now our belt expert. :thumb2

In which case I'm not sure that would have worked on either break? :confused:

Not enough left on the one with the hole punched in it. The other broke across more than 3 teeth.

I think it would be a right bastard to fit to a belt that's attached to a bike, especially a big Glide. I don't think I'll ride my Harley to a place I can't call a breakdown truck to anyway :p

Steptoe, why are you worried? Isn't it the same as peeps taking hall sensors, alternator belts, FD bearings etc. etc. away with them.

Honestly, I've ridden on countless trips around Europe on HDs since 1990 covering 1000's of miles and with hundreds of bikes and only once ever known of a belt problem. And that was mine:nenau That was caused by a dealer over tightening it after a warranty repair on a gear lever return spring just before I went on a trip to Norway. Even then it just stripped a few teeth.

I've done 20k miles on my present RK with a hole punched through the middle of he belt by a stone.

As has been said I think the main problem is over tightening. Oh, and trying to do wheelies:D

A stone went through mine, punched a hole in the belt and the pulley, no belt repair kit would have helped me:D

Steptoe, why are you worried?

I've been visiting the 1200 sections far too frequently.

I'm having sleepless nights worrying about belts, and errr, err, hang on is that it, just belts.... i forgot haven't got a final drive or an FPC, or any ESA, or TPM's, or an EWS or a dodgy fuel level sensor or even a sidestand cut out switch.

I can have a good nights sleep tonight, and in the morning i'm going to plait the fringe around my seat. :thumb2

The link that Bowser posted is no good for my belt. It's 1 1/2 inches wide.

Checking on usa websites as far as i can make out the belts they use are different lengths and have varying amounts of teeth to european models.

Where's a proper expert when you need one instead of a bunch of tassle engineers :D

there are different ones dependent on model however if you get the thinest then you can fit it on wider pullies.

I can have a good nights sleep tonight, and in the morning i'm going to plait the fringe around my seat. :thumb2

There now, that's better, we're back on track. Have you considered sewing lacey doylies around your seat for that finishing touch?:thumb

There now, that's better, we're back on track. Have you considered sewing lacey doylies around your seat for that finishing touch?:thumb

I'm looking for a gold plated tissue box to stick on the back, as exquistely demonstrated on the rear parcel shelf in any nissan owned by someone of indian origin.

Back
Top Bottom