Trails/Off road riding Lincolnshire?

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend of mine has bought a DRZ 400 & is very keen to do some trail riding around Lincoln/Wolds.
He's struggling to find any information anywhere about where to go, locally.

I know when I was looking at buying a trail bike a few years ago & spoke to the local TRF guy & he told me that Lincs Police have basically stopped it here & his group trailered their bikes to the Peak District to get some off-road miles in.

My mate says he's had a look at the TRF website but didn't see much for Lincs on there.

Anybody know any better or does he need to do a 100 mile round trip before he can go off-road?

there are plenty of trails that can be legally ridden to the south of lincoln,through the vale of belvoir down towards rutland.
the TRF are not going to share this info unless you are a paid up member.
i would be happy to mark up some maps to get him started,unfortunately he will need three OS maps for this area.
a lot of the lanes can be very rutted and muddy so are not ideal for a novice rider,where in the peak district the lanes are generally more rocky with steeper climbs.
i have lived here for nearly ten years and only now would i say i know ALL of the local trails.
many hours spent studying maps and checking the legality on the trailwise website.
if he contacts lincs TRF he will be able to join one of the groups for a "taster" day out to decide if he wants to join.
there will be two off road ride outs at the BELVOIR BASH if he wishes to tag along.
mike

Cheers Mikey. I knew you'd know. I've already told him about the Belvoir Bash but he owns a Fish & Chip shop so can only do Sundays.

I did mention about an 'expert' on this site who knows a lot of the trails near Grantham (that's you btw;)) & he was pretty interested to hear it.
Which OS maps would you recommend & do you think as an off-road virgin I could join him on my GSA on road tyres?

Having been Chairman & contact for Lincs TRF for the last 10 years or so, I can say that there are still a few legal lanes around the Lincoln & Wolds area that are suitable for novice riders....see the photos below. Happy to take you out on them if you're up for it & can provide contacts for Lincs TRF group if you want a taster day out.

Paul

Attachments

• MRT2.jpg
    MRT2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,830
  • MRT3.jpg
    MRT3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,151
Yip, I certainly fancy it. I've PM'd Vern & am hoping to get something sorted for a Sunday in The Wolds.

Hi Gents, any news on when you might be considering this bimble around the countryside, Paul It's long time since I've been out with your guidance and would very much like to get to know the area better now that i live in Lincs..
Regards
Archie

Hi Gents, any news on when you might be considering this bimble around the countryside, Paul It's long time since I've been out with your guidance and would very much like to get to know the area better now that i live in Lincs..
Regards
Archie

Hi Archie - Not heard anything more about the trail ride..... I've now got this weekend planned out, but I'm doing a road ride up to the Yorkshire Wolds on Monday if you're up for that in the meantime? Drop me a PM if you want details. Paul

Paul good to hear from you thanks for the invite on Monday. PM on it's way.
Timaloy, you won't be disappointed with Paul taking you and anyone else for a ride a round his back yard most peoples impression of Lincolnshire is that it is flat. Let me assure you it is not. OK it is relative to Derbyshire and Yorkshire etc. but believe me i have seen many riders struggle on what looks like really easy little hills in Lincs. It is a great area to learn the basics particularly with Paul leading.

BTW - I am a lifetime member of the TRF and it is a great organisation to join for first class information and good guys to ride with. It is always looking for new members and is the backstop of legal riding in the England and Wales.

Archie

Cheers Archie,

Ironically I was in touch with Paul yesterday, looks like we have a date set. I've not put the info. on here as I thought that might be a bit presumptious given that Paul has been good enough to take 2 Virgins into the woods......

I'm really looking forward to it.

Well we we went out today and it was fantastic fun while it lasted.
Unfortunately the weather was against us and a breakdown in communication meant that I headed for one road whilst Paul headed for another but nevertheless it was a terrific day.

I know the rest of the group had a great time & I'd like to place on record my thanx to Paul for his time, knowledge & thoughtful guidance. :clap
Cheers Paul, roll on September - the first pint is on me.

It was a shame it was a lot wetter than the photos above - we'll do it again in the dry next time!

Looking forward to that pint in September :beerjug:

i will keep an eye on this thread, just posted on the trf site regarding Lincolnshire green lanes,its a location I may be moving to sometime in the future.

Have just moved to spalding and want to do the same but before i buy a bike for this i would love to know where i can legally ride so appreciate any advice!

Back
Top Bottom