Tom Tom Navigator for Palm T3

DavidHolmes

Reaction score
Having had a Garmin Map 12 XL for the last 3 years the pre release stuff about the Tom Tom Rider meant I was seriously tempted to upgrade.

But never having used Tom Tom stuff before, I decided to buy the GPS car kit for my Palm T3 (PDA) just to be sure before splashing out the serious dosh on the Rider.

First attempt was to plan route from home to a town called Oakham. No Oakham in the database. (If you know the street in Oakham, plus its postcode you can locate it, but the town itself does not exist). This is not a small nor new town.

Second attempt was from home to the Channel Tunnel. No Channel Tunnel train station at Folkestone. By chance I find it listed as a 'Ferry Port'. Plots route. Wants me to exit the M25 somewhere between junction 5 and junction 6 of the M25, and then rejoin somewhere between junction 6 and junction 5. Needless to say, neither junction exists.

Ignoring its instructions seem to cause it to freeze, a reboot of the palm at Folkestone sorts it out.

Arriving in Calais, it directs me from the Eurotunnel terminal to the hotel in the centre of town with absolute precision. Bloody fantastic.

The next morning, leaving Calais for Royan, it freezes again. Re-boot palm, Tom Tom software tells me I need to register the software.

Needless to say I had done this before leaving. Contact Tom Tom by email. They say there is nothing they can do unless I go home and get the security code off the inside of the CD cover......

Its gone back.

I shall buy a Garmin Quest and save a lot of money and agro.

PS For those of you who do not know, as I didnt till I bought one, the TOM TOM Navigator allows you to put in your destination and it plots a route. No waypoints, no track log (and hence no track back). No means to store or save routes.

Back
Top Bottom