About to fit 'em...have you?

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
OK. Monday's the day: Dad's coming round to help out. We are going to fit the H&B bars to my bike armed with a CDrom manual, german instructions and a walkthrough guide in PDF by one of the helpful chaps on this site.

However, this last guide is the problem: the step by step instructions and tips are great and very clear, BUT there is one sentence regarding removal of the rear nut that ends: "...once this nut is removed, your commited!"

And its that bit that scares me.

So, from any one who has already fitted their bars, is it really that difficult, or am I fretting for nothing?

I can just imagine the grief if I have to ask Steptoe to drive out here and refit my engine in the frame :rolleyes:

I fitted mine some time ago Warthog.. somewhere on this site you might find some decent instructions (I did).. but you should have no problems, just make sure you do one side at a time..

Just don't remove both of the gearbox mounting bolts at the same time otherwise the gearbox drops and it's a b@st@rd to get back in !!!! Do one side at a time with the bike on the center stand and double check your throttle cables on the right hand side are seated correctly after refitting your tank otherwise you'll be back here asking why your bike is running like a pig ;)

As Gecko says... one side at a time.
You'll also see in the PDF instructions there is the suggestion to lift the rear subframe (if it drops a fraction) using a jack under the rear footpeg bracket. The couple of times I've fitted them I've set the jack up and took some to the pressure off BEFORE I loosened the bolts.

I fitted mine a few weeks ago with the help of big bro Skippy. They went on a treat, I used a simple wooden block and wedge to make sure the GB didn't drop - don't welly it up , just enough to prevent potential movement.

The only thing I had to do was a gentle opening of the two front bits to get them to line up and a couple of mm off the casing to prevent vibration.

I feel 100% better on the driveway now as this is the area I am most likely to drop due to camber and leaves etc.

Stupidly I fitted them 2 weeks before a service - BUT (as reported before) Vines were going to charge labour to remove them but SPC didn't.... ask before and haggle!!

Steve

I fitted mine with ease, doing exactly as it said in these Instructions.

Thanks again to Simon Eassom
:)

Thanks for the inspiration folks.. I had visions of riding 30 miles to Steptoes with my gearbox grinding on the M25 after cocking it up. Hopefully, this won't happen!!:D

We'll be forging ahead on Monday as planned.

It's a good idea to support the gearbox with a jack so when you do remove the bolts it should not drop and if it does you can use the jack to make minor adjustments up or down to get everything lined up.

When your replacing the tank, just remember to make sure that the petrol hoses dont get nipped in, as fuel starvation get make everything get a bit hot and bothered...

My housemate and I fitted them in just under an hour with the pdf instructions and some common sense.. undoing (cracking) some of the main bolts took some 'man' power.. but all in all went pretty smoothly..

best of luck.... :thumb

Warthog said:
Ok, so what sort of time should I book in if I just have the PDF? :p
Doh... forgot about that... but then you did say your Dad was coming round so you should be ok I presume... :confused: :D

And after all that, they are fitted and look great: silver bars on a silver GS! Took about 1 hr 45 mins to fit with no headaches with the rear bolt.

Thanks for all the advice in the posts and to Mr Eassom for the top PDF instructions :thumb

Now to avoid using them :p

My H&B bars worked a treat !!! Get them fitted ASAP

As of my only accident ever, 2 months ago:

My 2004 R1200GS=1 scuffed paint on RHS H&B engine bar, her 2004 Audi A4 saloon= both near side door skins dented. No broken limbs or scratched engine covers and one seriously pissed off, blind and stupid impatient woman driver who bent her husbands Audi on the way to work, who got in the wrong lane, stopped in a box junction on a roundabout, then drove off without looking or indicating and broadsided me with her car on exiting alongside me at the roundabout. Now awaiting the inevitable "biker was in the wrong" claim against me.

Pukmeister said:
My H&B bars worked a treat !!! Get them fitted ASAP

As of my only accident ever, 2 months ago:

My 2004 R1200GS=1 scuffed paint on RHS H&B engine bar, her 2004 Audi A4 saloon= both near side door skins dented. No broken limbs or scratched engine covers and one seriously pissed off, blind and stupid impatient woman driver who bent her husbands Audi on the way to work, who got in the wrong lane, stopped in a box junction on a roundabout, then drove off without looking or indicating and broadsided me with her car on exiting alongside me at the roundabout. Now awaiting the inevitable "biker was in the wrong" claim against me.

Don't let the blind wench get away with it!! :spitfire Any witnesses/photos of the accident?

Back
Top Bottom