2720 Question ?

S J SAVAGE

Pan E will probably be able to answer this with ease, problem being I have purchased a 2720 a month ago and would like to know what version of navigator I have running I would presume it is version 8, but how do I check ?
I am not a techno geek and just want things to work and not give me any bother !! (I have to state for the record I admire techno geeks, I just do'nt have the capabilities to be one !!) (do'nt all shout at ounce that I should'nt have bought GPS then !!)
Also use it around Dublin for business in a car and it does'nt pick up some of the new stretches of road that have been open for a year or so ?
It has also stopped navigating a couple of times, flicked onto the initial screen saying Garmin and after 30 seconds or so started navigating again, is this normal ? or am I just lucky ?

Regards

Shane :D :beer:

You should be able to go to settings and then there should be a tab called about.

It should then show detail maps.

Then hit that and it should tell you what maps you have.

Hope this helps.

Hi Shane:

Mollers gets 100% for that answer! :D

I also think (I am not sure) that the GPSRs display the copyright information about currently loaded cartography on the splash screen when they start up... but maybe this is just the aviation units that do this. I have been in Africa for the last little while and all I have with me are aviation GPSRs - I left all the moto and car stuff behind in Europe. Anyway, just watch the screen carefully when you turn it on - maybe you might find the information there, in small print at the bottom of the screen.

Shane said:
Also use it around Dublin for business in a car and it doesn't pick up some of the new stretches of road that have been open for a year or so ?
The Republic of Ireland is one of the last countries to be fully mapped - I don't even think Navteq (the cartography supplier) has finished the job yet. If you have version 7 of the cartography, it would probably be worth the money to upgrade to version 8, because quite a bit of data has been added to the Republic of Ireland. If you have version 8 - well, you have the best there is, there ain't much you can do until version 8.5 or version 9 comes out.
Shane said:
It has also stopped navigating a couple of times, flicked onto the initial screen saying Garmin and after 30 seconds or so started navigating again, is this normal ? or am I just lucky ?
My guess is that the problem you describe is caused by the 12 volt power to the GPSR being interrupted - perhaps check to make sure that the plug is firmly inserted into the cigarette lighter (and that there is no crud at the bottom of the receptacle), and also check to make sure that the sliding plug on the back of the GPSR is firmly in place.

The software for the 2720 is fully mature and very stable, so it is very unlikely it is rebooting due to a software problem. What you can do (easily - no tech skills needed!) is plug your GPSR into a mains power outlet at home beside your computer, then connect it to your computer, then go to the Garmin 'WebUpdater' website, and download a little program that will check to make sure your GPSR has the most up to date operating software (not maps, but system software) inside it. The URL to follow to get to the WebUpdater is here: http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp. It is super-simple to use (honest!), just follow the directions. It's best if you have a high speed internet connection (ADSL, cable modem, etc.), rather than trying to do it via a dial-up connection.

Important: If you have never connected your GPSR to your computer before, be sure to insert the CD that came with your GPSR (it's probably called 'Trip and Waypoint Manager') in the computer and install that program first. Otherwise, when you plug your GPSR into the computer, the computer won't know what the heck it is, and the computer (not the GPSR) will get quite confused.

Michael

Been lurking here since I decided to research which GPS to buy for bike use some months back and have stayed along to learn from the collective wisdom. And very good it is too :thumb Anyway, here's my first post...

Although I agree with Michael's (Pan European's) comment about the most likely cause of Shane's 2720 rebooting being the power connection, there have been a number of 2720 users on another forum I frequent who suffered similar problems that were resolved by ensuring that the TTS voice firmware was up to date. For example, a number reported that their rebooting problems stopped when they upgraded from British English Emily TTS voice v1.10 or v1.20 to v1.30

The StreetPilot 2720 v5.00 firmware seems totally stable (as was v4.50) but some earlier versions were reportedly a bit flaky. I'd follow Michael's advice and use Garmin's WebUpdater to make sure all the firmware (and the TTS voice) is up to date.

Hope this helps!

Phil

Hi Phil:

Thanks for adding those comments, they are much appreciated. I recall some software instability with very, very early versions of the 27xx software, but I think that all those glitches were resolved during the first month or so that the GPSR was shipping. I mostly use the American English, European French, and German languages, for that reason I have no experience with the British English voice.

By the way - welcome to the forum!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the welcome to this forum, and also your willingness to share your knowledge and info on GPSR's. Once I decided to take the plunge and get a Garmin 2720 I wish I'd thought to have listened in to your impromptu "Garmin GPS Masterclass" at the Hotel Ripotot in Champagnole two years ago when we (briefly) met up!

Phil

st13phil said:
Been lurking here since I decided to research which GPS to buy for bike use some months back and have stayed along to learn from the collective wisdom. And very good it is too :thumb Anyway, here's my first post...

Although I agree with Michael's (Pan European's) comment about the most likely cause of Shane's 2720 rebooting being the power connection, there have been a number of 2720 users on another forum I frequent who suffered similar problems that were resolved by ensuring that the TTS voice firmware was up to date. For example, a number reported that their rebooting problems stopped when they upgraded from British English Emily TTS voice v1.10 or v1.20 to v1.30

The StreetPilot 2720 v5.00 firmware seems totally stable (as was v4.50) but some earlier versions were reportedly a bit flaky. I'd follow Michael's advice and use Garmin's WebUpdater to make sure all the firmware (and the TTS voice) is up to date.

Hope this helps!

Phil

Which forum were you refering too with these problems???

2720 Suitability?

www.mynewcheap.co.uk have made reference to the fact that the 2720 may not be suitable for motorcycles that suffer from vibration.
1) I thought that all motorcycles suffer from vibration?
2) Is anyone aware of this being an issue with BMW's boxers?
3) How will the 28xx compare?

Thanks guys, Wil

Mollers01uk said:
Which forum were you refering too with these problems???
Take a look at GpsPasSion - there's a thread about 2720's rebooting about 4 pages in. While the forum isn't motorcycle-biased like this one, it's still been a source of a few useful titbits over the last few months.
Wil said:
www.mynewcheap.co.uk have made reference to the fact that the 2720 may not be suitable for motorcycles that suffer from vibration.
Direct quote from Alastair Ingason, Product Support, Garmin (Europe) Ltd in response to an e-mail query from myself in January regarding using the 2720 on a bike: "The 2720 will work fine with a motorcycle. It uses stationary data storage so there are no moving parts that would otherwise be damaged by vibrations; we have mounting kits designed for bikes available for this unit."

Phil

Now even more confused!

But thanks anyway :thumb
Seems I need to wait for the newer model, even if I won't be able to understand what it does! :eek:
Didn't know there was a 2730 - does anyone out there have the time to learn how to use the Garmin, AND ride their 'bike?!

Thank you Pan E.

I have resolved my problem re BMW Nav II.
On speaking to Garmin they had me down for two GPS's. ie Two serial numbers. They sent my unlock key to the other. The serial numbers were so close it didn't register with me. The reason, my first unit was exchanged after only a few months.
Alls well now!
regards Michael
Gramps.

Back
Top Bottom