Bike Just Died!

Captain Beaky

Reaction score
It's funny how things work out, isn't it?

I had got to the point of distraction with the surging on the beaked monstrosity.

Finally managed to almost eradicate it (a bit more fettling will remove it i'm sure). when ooer. Me bike stopped.

Just riding back from a nice pint of Bombardier in the Virgins & Castle (about an hour ago) in Kenilworth, got onto the A46, and decided to give it some (Mate was on the back, and more than a little tipsy), passing 95, on the way to 120 ish when Burrgggggggggg. Bike just died. Lights went out engine stopped producing power and rolled to a halt.

Pulled over, and had a look (Getting dark).
Battery was very hot (and getting hotter).
Quickly lifted tank, and disconnected battery (accompanied by a nice fat spark when I broke the connection)
Something very obviously not right.

Got a friend with a transit to get me home, and started investigating. Can't see anything obvious, removed tank, battery top of airbox, side panel and starter motor cover - nothing to see no obvious short I then dislodged the clamp on the fuel line on the tank, and spilled fuel all over the garage floor.

At this point, I decided that fooling around with a faulty electrical system was rather foolhardy, and decided to retire to my living room and a few stellas (Duty free thankfully) and see if anyone else has seen this.

Second stella well underway. Anyone seen this before?

Ideas on a postcard....

I've just got to get around the thought of taking my CAR to work tomorrow!!!

HHHHEEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Mike,

your symptoms sound like a short on an unfused circuit. The only one I'm aware of on the GS is the headlight (I've no doubt I'll be corrected immediately:p) If you've managed to somehow put a dead short in that circuit, it'd probably trigger all sorts of electrical mayhem, including killing the engine.

But, hell, what do I know?

MikeO:)

Aha! Just rewards for drinking in Kenilworth!

Next time you need some Bombardier, gizza bell and come to the rural part of Warks. for some company. PM me for location.

Sorry, but no idea 'bout the bike. Will give it some thought overnight.

Short on an unfused circuit - the thought had crossed my mind.
The battery leads head to the starter motor and the alternator. I haven't been able to check any more, cos I poured fuel all over the garage floor.

Oh, yes, the engine died. That and the red hot battery (and the nice spark when I disconnected the battery) tell mr I have a short.
But where?

And I only stopped for one (or two!) in kenilworth - where do you reccomend? Send me a note - M.J.Evans@lineone.net

Cheers,
Mike

My sympathy

Mike,

Sorry I can't be of any help to you, but I have to admit I sympathise with you and the thought of going to work without the GS!!!

Found the fault - the starter motor battery lead was shorting against the starter motor case.

I'll post another thread highlighting this for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom