TPS Question

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What does the TPS unit do? I thought it controlled the idle speed, but that is done using the Big Brass Screws. So what does the Throttle Positioning Sensor actually do? I've read up on how to adjust it using a multimeter, and setting it for 0,36 volts (think that was the figure, but I can always look again) Is this something that is part of the service schedule?

Ok it's a throttle positioning sensor, but why the potential for adjustment? What happens if the voltage is outside of the alleged 0,36 voltage spec?

ELIMINATOR said:
Ok it's a throttle positioning sensor, but why the potential for adjustment? What happens if the voltage is outside of the alleged 0,36 voltage spec?

from memory it should actually be adjusted within a range of .36 to .38 or thereabouts.

the higher the voltage, the richer the mixture. if you go over .4 it faults.

As my spark plugs have the correct colour, I'll ignore this little beast. Just looked at the manual & comments are made about setting it with basic Motronic setup?

Leave well alone then. :cool:

ELIMINATOR said:
[ Well, this looked interesting :nono

It's a straight forward job - BUT

The phone calls i get when people mess about with their TPS on a perfectly working bike - i'm going to get a premium rate phone number :D

You'll also have to re-adjust the idle speed after touching the TPS .

Very interesting.............................but stupid.

As seargent Schultz frequently said during Hogans heroes.

Leave well alone then .....Mr. Steptoe, Sir. :bow :thumb

I was just curious as to how beneficial it would be if this was set up PERFECTLY?

Adjust the idle speed, ah, there's a thought. Might be time to play with the Big Brass Screws, bike idles at abaht 1300, doesn't really bother me. But as I have access to 2 digital manometers?

Screw these lightly down, note how far this was. Return to original, twiddle screws to balance, whilst lowering the idle speed. Perhaps if I'm feeling brave!

Back
Top Bottom