Centre stand issues on a R100GS

(RIP) Perryhill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had a large variety of bikes in the last 40 years or so but I've never had one so difficult to get on its centre stand as my '93 GSPD. I've been struggling for months to get the f'ing thing on its centre stand especially when the tank and panniers are full, so decided today enough was enough and started experimenting.

I found that raising the height of the rear wheel relative to the front by standing it on sheets of plywood before attempting to lever it onto the stand has a dramatic effect when you get about 30/40mm under it. This leads me to wonder is the lowered Hagon unit (lowered curiously it seems by about an inch) the cause of the problem?

Being short of leg I quite like the fact the Hagon allows me to get my feet down as cutting the seat down would potentially be a) uncomfortable and b) even more cramped than it feels today. Also changing the shock to a standard length is a costly, and not necessarily guaranteed, cure.

Any thoughts, similar experiences and helpful answers? I don't think carrying bits of ply goes with the rugged image!

Check that the bushes where the stand is fixed to the frame is okay and that the frame is okay (holes for bolts are still circular and so on). Lube everything.
If everything else look good you can shorten the stand, it really helps.

AliBaba said:
Check that the bushes where the stand is fixed to the frame is okay and that the frame is okay (holes for bolts are still circular and so on). Lube everything.
If everything else look good you can shorten the stand, it really helps.
How do you recommend I shorten the stand? I can't see an easy way at the top and the bottom looks a complete no-no -or, as a complete back seat mechanic, am I missing something obvious???

Perryhill said:
How do you recommend I shorten the stand? I can't see an easy way at the top and the bottom looks a complete no-no -or, as a complete back seat mechanic, am I missing something obvious???

Cut it under the horizontal pipe, remove 1-1.5 inches and then weld it back together.

AliBaba said:
Cut it under the horizontal pipe, remove 1-1.5 inches and then weld it back together.
If this is the only way, any offers of assistance in the Berkshire/Hampshire area would be very well recieved!​

Perryhill said:
[.

I found that raising the height of the rear wheel relative to the front by standing it on sheets of plywood before attempting to lever it onto the stand has a dramatic effect when you get about 30/40mm under it. This leads me to wonder is the lowered Hagon unit (lowered curiously it seems by about an inch) the cause of the problem?

![/FONT]​

This is the crux of your problem - your now having to physically lift the weight of the bike to get it onto the stand, instead of it rolling onto the stand, due to the shorter shock.

As suggested :D :D you need to shorten the stand

But i bet your side stand works better than the standard item. Your bike shouldn't lean over like the tower of pisa :D

Same problem

I have the same problem I have a Basic, this is a very low bike, also have the standard gs80 almost the same bike, :thumb but the difference in hieght means that it is very easy to put on center stand, so i guess the only way is to shorten the stand

HOIST

. . use the RIGHT foot to hold the stand down, lift & shift your body weight aft, thus getting a combination of vertical & horizontal forces.
Shortening the stand is the solution, tho'

Stands can also bend at the bottom and cause a problem where the bike rolls over centre and then 'drops'. It's a right bugger to lift back over especially on a slippy surface. Fully loaded and with 43L of fuel on, I once got totally stranded.

Sean

But before you attempt anything drastic, do as Alibaba says: get the stand off, check the attatchment holes and replace the bushes.

I guarantee the bushes will be worn into a shape that is nothing like a circle! Remember, this area is supposed to be a simple 'pivot', not a complicated assembly of various worn out oval & concentric circles. Sort that out first - it's easy & it's cheap.

P.J. said:
. . use the RIGHT foot to hold the stand down, lift & shift your body weight aft, thus getting a combination of vertical & horizontal forces.
If you are ever in the neighbourhood you are welcome to go it a go!​

Back
Top Bottom