Devil's Elbow, Glenshee

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

When I was looking at some photos of hairpin bends in Alpine passes, I remembered the thrill (and slight apprehension) of being a wee boy in Blairgowrie and taking car trips up Glenshee. The Devil's Elbow seemed to be a part of the road that was to be given the utmost care and respect. I remember when they "fixed" the road years ago.

When we were up there on our GSer trip last weekend, I had a vague recollection of the old road.

The Alpine pass thread got me thinking so I "google imaged" this...

DevilsElbow_562x229.jpg

You can imagine the old bus crawling up that gradient and almost defying gravity.

Aah memories. I can't help thinking there's a bit of camera tilt in the picture though.

delvils elbow

i ride that every year and also the devils staircase which is a complete body killer but i still do it must be something in the blood he he

When I was looking at some photos of hairpin bends in Alpine passes, I remembered the thrill (and slight apprehension) of being a wee boy in Blairgowrie and taking car trips up Glenshee. The Devil's Elbow seemed to be a part of the road that was to be given the utmost care and respect. I remember when they "fixed" the road years ago.

When we were up there on our GSer trip last weekend, I had a vague recollection of the old road.

DevilsElbow_562x229.jpg

You can imagine the old bus crawling up that gradient and almost defying gravity.

Amazing shot R, cant recall seeing a vehicle, espec a bus on such a steep incline :eek:

Even in its reconstructed state, my fathers VW camper struggled to get up the hill a few years back.....twas an interesting climb to say the least....:eek:

Amazing shot R, cant recall seeing a vehicle, espec a bus on such a steep incline :eek:

Since the road was "fixed" it's easy to take the bend in excess of 60/70 mph, even in a car. The "Devil's Elbow" as it was is long since gone. It is an amazing shot and one that brings back memories of my Dad's old motors struggling up the hill and trying to make the bend. :thumb

Kind of wish they had left the old road I remember going down it on a trip down south many years ago. Good photo Ronno did you find any good passes?

Kind of wish they had left the old road I remember going down it on a trip down south many years ago. Good photo Ronno did you find any good passes?

Hi Bob,

I was posting some of my pics on a thread in Show Us Your Alpine Passes when this all came about :thumb

aye same memories as a'body else

but tend to concur with Dr Ken re (lens distortion).
Good memory jogger tho' Ronno :thumb

p.s. I thought we were all away on holiday - it's been very quiet on the GS front
(not Skye side tho') :D

DevilsElbow_562x229.jpg

I was looking at this old post,They left the corner when they built the new road,you can see it and ride it ,about half way up the long brae[known as The Slide locally] there is a car park down on your right just at the tank traps go down it then along and you can climb back up round the corner.Perfect weather now for it.

Can someone post a wee map showing where the old road is?

I've looked for it when heading north to Glenshee, and can't see any sign of it.

I remember it from a camping trip with my dad in 1967-8 in a Hillman Minx, taking a waxed tent from the "Embassy Coupon" catalogue. :eek:

Al :thumb2

I was looking at this old post,They left the corner when they built the new road,you can see it and ride it ,about half way up the long brae[known as The Slide locally] there is a car park down on your right just at the tank traps go down it then along and you can climb back up round the corner.Perfect weather now for it.

Soonds like yin you'll need to show us soon, Doyle :thumb2

Remember what happened last time you went off the road in that area:augie

Not the first time that a "Kimmel" :ronno had suffered a broken tank :augie................

Attachments

• Resize of atank.jpg
    Resize of atank.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 580
Found Another Couple Of Pics

How's this for a hairpin? :thumb2

Attachments

• devil's elbow.JPG
    devil's elbow.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,043
  • devil's elbow.2.jpg
    devil's elbow.2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 4,527
Is it really the highest public road in britain or was that just the old days too?
I thought the lecht (tomintoul's the highest village) or cairn o mount would be higher....

Back
Top Bottom