08 GSA seat - how comfortable is yours

dazchallenge

Reaction score
08 GSA

Just back from a long trip and after the first three days riding ten hours a day in heat the top insides of my legs became really really sore to the point were i was constantly changing riding position every ten minutes or so. Eventually i had to go into a Spanish chemist and ask for a solution (which was interesting) and ended up with a tub of the cream they put on babies bums, which sort of worked when applied liberally at night.

It’s my only gripe with the bike and feel they could have made a better seat, especially when these bikes are made for long rides.

Are you pleased with your seat or have you changed / modified? If so what? and how?

Sudocream works wonders for nappy rash :thedummy and sore bottys on long rides. :)

I changed to a Touratech Kahedo seat on my gsa as the one I had on my RT 1200 was very good. I am not as impressed with the GS one though but its better than the original GSA seat.

Up to now I'm pleased with mine compared to my old ZX12R and GSXR1000, but I haven't been really far on it yet so I suppose time will tell.

I haven't changed my seat but following a tip on this site I put the front of the seat on the high setting and the rear on low and it makes a significant difference to comfort.

This mainly stops you slipping fowards and prevents you having to grip with your thighs which sounds like what you are doing to cause the soreness.

I have a 2008 GSA and my seat is terrible. Get an Airhawk if you don't want to change the seat. I agree that this should not be a problem on a £12,000+ bike!

Sargent seat all the way, did use airhawk but pain in the backside taking on and off all the time, sargent the only way to go 9hrs + once it was broken in.

Hi Mate,

This is my 4th GS and I have always found the saddle uncomfortable on long trips. so I replaced the stock with a Sergeant on my 1150 GSA and was soooo impressed that when I bought my 12GSA I did the same. Can highly recommend them from Nippy Normans.

E

My GSA seat is not very comfortable on a long ride but the rougher the road the more comfortable it gets..

I've sent it away to Custom Seats for a slight lowering and fitting of a gel pad. If this doesn't work out then it'll be a Sargent seat.

I haven't changed my seat but following a tip on this site I put the front of the seat on the high setting and the rear on low and it makes a significant difference to comfort.

This mainly stops you slipping fowards and prevents you having to grip with your thighs which sounds like what you are doing to cause the soreness.

:thumb Did the same with mine as I always found my thighs ached. Works

the first three days riding ten hours a day in heat the top insides of my legs became really really sore

With all due respect, what a load of ol' bollox or :monkeypiz

The price of the bike is of no interest, you can't sit in or on anything for ten hours without ya bollox getting in a twist - moving around is all part of the pleasure:eek:

Look outy - incoming......

:hide

I don't know about 08 seats but my 06 model took 6,000+ miles for the standard seat to 'bed in', from then on 5-700 mile days were possible with just a little fidgeting. I then changed to a 12gs low seat with which I found a similar level of comfort to the standard 'run in' GSA seat, but it allowed me to use an airhawk without the need for stilts.

Up until the last trip, the low seat/airhawk combination has allowed for days of up to 1150 miles.

However this last trip, 2375miles over a few days, was a problem from the off, with a chinese burn feeling in the top of my left leg. despite lots of fiddling every night it was the same for the whole of the journey from 50 miles on. The bruising still hurt for a couple of days after:(

So back to square one for me, one plus point is that the problem was with the airhawk, now thats removed the pain has gone away.

Perhaps i'll have to find somewhere else to store my tyre levers:nenau:augie:D

Shep

08 GSA seat is awful and a bit too soft on longer rides. After the first 100km it's already becoming increasingly uncomfortable. Will have mine lowered and also stuffed with a layer of isolation foam named compripol, to harden the seat up a bit.

I've swapped to a Sargent seat now on my 06 and it's much more comfortable. Funnily enough though my Chief Executive doesn't rate the pillion as that much more comfy than the stock seat. Could be a padding issue?!....
John

My chief exec., felt the same but persisted and now the sargent seat has bedded in well, but we did adjust one of the foot pegs as it was slightly bent in.

In regards to the airhawk yes it worked to a fashion but it was getting the air just right, not always easy.

I have found on the whole that it is seat temperature that seems to have the biggests effect, the warmer the seat gets the more uncomfortable it gets, I did consider one of the touratech breathable models but the the boss liked the sargent more.:nenau

Just ordered

Just ordered a sargent set for the 1200GS. Im hoping its not a case of over sold but at £460 a pop it needs to be good. Will post a review after my italy trip!:thumb2

ROADRUNNER

HI I HAD A RUN FROM ROTTERDAM TO GARMISH LAST YEAR JUST OVER 800 MLS IN 1 DAY ON A SERGANT SEAT NO PROBLEM BUT THATS JUST ME AN IM NOT WISE IF A TREE FALLS IN THE FOREST AN NO ONE HEARS IT DID IT EVEN FALL AT ALL

Well just done 2500mls sitting on it and i have to recommend them. I played with the adjusters and found up front and down rear suited me fine. Now im not saying its perfect but that will never be found but 480mls in a day fast road and 11 hrs the longest day over passes certainly gave it a test. Expensive but good quality and time will tell if its value for money! :thumb

2008 GSA seat is fine for me. I did Donny WSB and back a round trip of 340 miles yesterday with absolutely no problems.

My advice would be stick with it and try and get yourself used to it before spending hundreds of pounds on a aftermarket.

Back
Top Bottom