D Esa issues

I weigh 11 and a half stone so with riding gear, helmet, boots etc I would have thought I was pretty average weight. I'm surprised that Auto seems to think that it should be on minimum preload for my weight.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Because these bikes can be set to a very low MIN ride height position and a very high MAX ride height, then I think they must have a normal preload position somewhere between these extremes, designed for what BMW regard as an average rider weight and I assume that is what they are calibrated for. If the bike were loaded with that exact average weight then once it adjusts the preload would be at this theoretical default mid-position.

A lower weight rider will not compress the suspension enough to get down to this normal ride height, and the bike would ride high, but in this case the system then can back off the preload from the normal position once moving and should do so just enough to lower the bike to the standard ride height. There is no reason for it to carry on removing all preload and dropping the bike to the minimum possible ride height, and it should not do this. IMO anyone who tells you it should do this does not know what they are talking about.

Similarly if a heavier than average rider is on the bike then the bike rides lower than the standard height initially, but once moving just enough preload is added to get the bike up to the standard ride height. I know from experience with my 1200 and now my 1250 that this is exactly what happens. I am about 13 st 7 and when I ride the bike solo in AUTO mode I can comfortably get my feet flat (low chassis version bike). If I select MIN the bike drops lower to the ground, and if I select MAX I am on tippy toes.

If after riding it solo my wife gets on the bike, it drops to somewhere near the MIN position, so much so that if I don't retract the sidestand before she gets on there is not enough ground clearance to swing it back. However after we have been riding a short distance the bike adjusts and next time we stop I have the same comfortable flat footing I get riding solo. It will do the same with luggage as well as a pillion, and without disclosing my wife's exact weight (she is about average weight), obviously the bike has plenty of adjustment available.

Conversely, if I last rode the bike two-up, next time I get on it solo the preload is still set for the extra weight but because the weight is now less there is too much preload and the ride height is too high, leaving me on tippy toes again. But as in the previous example, once I have been riding a short distance the preload adjusts and next time I stop I can flat foot again.

This is obviously only my take on how this system is supposed to work, but if I am correct, then yours is quite evidently not working in the way it should.

Maybe you should ask the dealer to check that the height sensor is working correctly, as the fault may be with that and not the suspension at all. If the ECU does not accurately know what height the bike is riding at, it cannot tell the suspension the correct amount to adjust the preload.

Maybe you should ask the dealer to check that the height sensor is working correctly, as the fault may be with that and not the suspension at all. If the ECU does not accurately know what height the bike is riding at, it cannot tell the suspension the correct amount to adjust the preload.
The technicians did mention checking the height sensors so maybe they are thinking the same thing. I will remind them when it goes in.

Update:
I've picked up my bike and the fault seems to be entirely fixed. On speaking to the guys at Coopers they said that the bike was plugged in to the diagnostics and technicians at BMW in Germany were able to trace the fault to a software issue with the ride height sensors. Apparently they can see far more detail than Coopers.
I suspect that replacing the shock for a second time earlier this month was unnecessary and it was a software issue all along. Nevermind, it's fixed now and feels like new with its brand new fully functioning shock!

Update:
I've picked up my bike and the fault seems to be entirely fixed. On speaking to the guys at Coopers they said that the bike was plugged in to the diagnostics and technicians at BMW in Germany were able to trace the fault to a software issue with the ride height sensors. Apparently they can see far more detail than Coopers.
I suspect that replacing the shock for a second time earlier this month was unnecessary and it was a software issue all along. Nevermind, it's fixed now and feels like new with its brand new fully functioning shock!

Nice one thanks for the update and how they resolved it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, fredjb wins the prize for guessing it was the ride height sensors!

An Update to my Update:
The suspension/DESA software/ride height sensor calibration has failed again. Whatever is causing the issue is definitely not fixed. I am speaking to the Motarrad manager at Coopers tomorrow to see where we go from here. This is the 4th time since January. It seems to fail roughly 400-600 miles after each 'repair'.
To say I'm disappointed and frustrated is an understatement.

Sounds like there are other issues with the bike ie wiring to the ECU or the ECU itself . You are probably p*ssing into the wind with Coopers , I would go down one of two routes :

1. Assuming it is still under original warranty or BMW approved used warranty contact BMW Customer Services direct and raise holy f*ck.................... Coopers have amply proved that they haven't got a f*cking clue what they are doing.

2. Speak to Trading Standards and raise a complaint , armed with the reference number wander into Coopers when it is busy and hit them a letter quoting the issues and complaint reference and demand a full refund

You have given Coopers more than ample opportunity to fix the issues and they appear to be coming up lacking on each occasion

I think the shock itself is only 2cm or 20mm shorter, the rest of the quoted seat height reduction is due to the automatic fitment of the low profile seat on the low chassis bike.

The quoted wheel travel for lowered chassis is 30mm less either end than the full-fat bike. As the rear shock mounts closer to the swinging arm pivot than the rear axle, I'd guess the shock is not that much shorter.

Seems to me like the software works ok. When software works, it doesn't just change it's ways out of the blue. In my experience, whenever som malfunction comes up in a unpredictable manner there is a mechanical malfunction. This may be bad contact or a malfunctional sensor. If there is a bad connector I would expect the system to throw a fault code. Since apparently there is no fault code recorded the system receive signal from the sensor, but as the position of the swingarm is erratic, my 2c goes to a malfunctioning position sensor for the swingarm.

I realize that this is very frustrating experience, but it's not new as such. Whenever technology makes a step forward it takes a few years before mechanics in general learn the new systems. It should not be this way, but that's how it is. Any one remember when the first fuel injected engines came on the marked and you went to the shop for a tuneup? History repeats itself.
BMW offer technical training to the mechanics, but it's up to the dealer to send his staff to these training classes.

Anyway. I hope this problem gets solved quite soon, as the dESA is a wonderful system.

As for how quick the auto-level works, I can not quote exact numbers. However, as I was out driving today with the Boss, we stopped by the fuelpump to fill the tank. We then aimed towards a bench 20m from the fuelpump for a coffee. The Mrs. walked the distance while I started the bike and drove the 20m to park the bike besides the bench. By the time I stopped the bike, the level had readjusted the height to solo ride.

Update: After a reasonably amicable process with Coopers (and BMW) they agreed to replace my bike with a like for like model. I think the whole process was made fairly simple for them and quick for me due to them having an identical model, identical spec, identical age TE Exclusive in the dealership. It has slightly less mileage than my faulty one.
They initially tried to pursuade me to let them have another go at fixing it and the branch manager came on a bit heavy saying it was 'under the terms of the warranty' that I had to let them repair it however I had taken advise on the Consumer Rights Act and was able to successfully fight my case for a replacement bike.

If you have a genuine case and are prepared to fight your corner the Consumer Rights Act is a powerful tool.
I'm sure if they spend some time trying to find the fault on my old bike they will find the problem and things may be fine with it but I was tired of being the test rider!

Update: After a reasonably amicable process with Coopers (and BMW) they agreed to replace my bike with a like for like model. I think the whole process was made fairly simple for them and quick for me due to them having an identical model, identical spec, identical age TE Exclusive in the dealership. It has slightly less mileage than my faulty one.
They initially tried to pursuade me to let them have another go at fixing it and the branch manager came on a bit heavy saying it was 'under the terms of the warranty' that I had to let them repair it however I had taken advise on the Consumer Rights Act and was able to successfully fight my case for a replacement bike.

If you have a genuine case and are prepared to fight your corner the Consumer Rights Act is a powerful tool.
I'm sure if they spend some time trying to find the fault on my old bike they will find the problem and things may be fine with it but I was tired of being the test rider!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap thats the way to do it.

Stick a picture on here with the registration number of your old bike clearly visible so we can admire it (obviously not to make sure that no other poor sod ends up buying it ).

They will just stick it back on the showroom floor and the circle will start all over again

I have no doubt that the bike will be re sold. If they can find and fix the fault it will be a perfectly good bike. The big sticking point though is IF they find it!
All I would say is if anyone sees a TE Exclusive in metallic brown reg number: NL67OAV for sale then check very carefully that the problem has been fixed once and for all.

And just to add, thanks to all those who posted suggestions etc. It confirmed to me that it was time to put my foot down and stand my ground.

Back
Top Bottom