R1200GS LC Cruise Control Faulty - Advice Needed

dust_cloud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, my cruise control has developed a fault, initially it would kick out if I used the indicator (overtake on the motorway), then it degraded into popping out of cruise control at random after a few seconds, now its difficult to get it actually engage at all. The green indicator flashes then immediately drops out.

It started about a month ago, so as its 1st yearly service was due I thought I would get it done whilst in the dealers. Anyway dealer service (Williams Manchester) and the technician said no fault found! It only engaged once all the way home, so its UNBELIEVABLE they said no fault found when it was present on the way to the dealers and the way back!

Sliding the switch has no effect, pushing multiple times has no effect other than flash the green light.

As its only a year old and still under warranty how do I get this fixed when the dealer technician couldn't be bothered to investigate the fault? Do I take it to another dealer of contact BMW Motorrad directly. Because I think it will be an exercise in futility taking it back to BMW Wiliams.

Hi, my cruise control has developed a fault, initially it would kick out if I used the indicator (overtake on the motorway), then it degraded into popping out of cruise control at random after a few seconds, now its difficult to get it actually engage at all. The green indicator flashes then immediately drops out.

It started about a month ago, so as its 1st yearly service was due I thought I would get it done whilst in the dealers. Anyway dealer service (Williams Manchester) and the technician said no fault found! It only engaged once all the way home, so its UNBELIEVABLE they said no fault found when it was present on the way to the dealers and the way back!

Sliding the switch has no effect, pushing multiple times has no effect other than flash the green light.

As its only a year old and still under warranty how do I get this fixed when the dealer technician couldn't be bothered to investigate the fault? Do I take it to another dealer of contact BMW Motorrad directly. Because I think it will be an exercise in futility taking it back to BMW Wiliams.

On the LC's, with electronic throttle, the CC is merely software that controls the throttles servos. If the bike responds normal to the throttle, there is not very much else to look at but the switchgear. The switches are routed directly to the computer, and the computer seems to be working (if not, you would not be able to drive the bike.)

Therefor the problem is more than likely located to the LH switchgear.
There have been problems with the switchgear in the past, but even if the problem with switchgear is now not that common, it may happen. As it probably is the case this time.

The fact that there is no fault code means nothing. The test for the switchgear is basically that you operate each switch, and then reads whether it closed it's contact or not. But the computer does not know if the switch has been operated or not, hence it will never throw a fault code. But you will be able to check the switches by going to the mode that reads realtime values of the switches. It is part of GS-911 procedures, and I feel confident that BMW test software offers the same tests.

Don't give up. Ask your dealer to check the switches, and take it from there.

That said, there was a case a while back where the switchgear acted up and warning lights lit up like a xmas three. It turned out to be a fuse problem (there are a couple of fuses under the drivers seat)

Check the switch connectors on your clutch lever. They (I think there are two) may not be properly seated.

I would say switches as well. To the system there probably is no fault, it simply thinks it is being switched off.

On the LC's, with electronic throttle, the CC is merely software that controls the throttles servos. If the bike responds normal to the throttle, there is not very much else to look at but the switchgear. The switches are routed directly to the computer, and the computer seems to be working (if not, you would not be able to drive the bike.)

Therefor the problem is more than likely located to the LH switchgear.
There have been problems with the switchgear in the past, but even if the problem with switchgear is now not that common, it may happen. As it probably is the case this time.

The fact that there is no fault code means nothing. The test for the switchgear is basically that you operate each switch, and then reads whether it closed it's contact or not. But the computer does not know if the switch has been operated or not, hence it will never throw a fault code. But you will be able to check the switches by going to the mode that reads realtime values of the switches. It is part of GS-911 procedures, and I feel confident that BMW test software offers the same tests.

Don't give up. Ask your dealer to check the switches, and take it from there.

That said, there was a case a while back where the switchgear acted up and warning lights lit up like a xmas three. It turned out to be a fuse problem (there are a couple of fuses under the drivers seat)

To me it looks like the LH control block as the problen first started when using the indicator and it would drop out of cruise control, then I noticed toggling the Info button had a similar effect. After a further 200 miles use it started dropping out of cruise control for no reason, now it difficult to engage at all taking up to 7 attempts before it engages, then use of the indicator or info button switches on the LH control block will cause it to drop out of cruise control.
I can't believe a BMW main dealer didn't bother running some diagnostics like you suggested, especially as I told them of the problem when booking the service; as I would have thought they'd have a standard diagnostic test that instructed the technician to test all the switches in turn and give a green-red indication, red if there was no response detected or unexpected responses (shorts).

Hey ho, i'll try another dealer that's gives a damn and tries to fix it when someone brings their bike in with a fault.

To me it looks like the LH control block as the problen first started when using the indicator and it would drop out of cruise control, then I noticed toggling the Info button had a similar effect. After a further 200 miles use it started dropping out of cruise control for no reason, now it difficult to engage at all taking up to 7 attempts before it engages, then use of the indicator or info button switches on the LH control block will cause it to drop out of cruise control.
I can't believe a BMW main dealer didn't bother running some diagnostics like you suggested, especially as I told them of the problem when booking the service; as I would have thought they'd have a standard diagnostic test that instructed the technician to test all the switches in turn and give a green-red indication, red if there was no response detected or unexpected responses (shorts).

Hey ho, i'll try another dealer that's gives a damn and tries to fix it when someone brings their bike in with a fault.

I can feel your frustration indeed.
But, perhaps a longshot, check this out: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/508147-Complete-LH-switchgear-failure

Your lhs switch module is gone. Been a perennial problem for 15 years (since the 04 hex), they have allegedly sorted it, but hey... its a bmw. Get it swapped undr warranty.

I had similar issues with my RT TC. The left hand switchgear was replaced under warranty by Allan Jefferies and the cruise control worked perfectly once again :thumby:

L/H switch gear my last one had two in 34 months ............. faults aren't recorded on scanning but a function test on the switch which takes 5 minutes using GS911 and the same with dealer software and will show any issues with function straight away .

Go back and raise hell with them

WD40 into the switch works a treat... do mine once a year and never any issues...

Back
Top Bottom