Sssssstupid Boy!

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like I nearly took one for the team by falling for some Facebook click-bait.

I happened on an advert for a wifi extender that alleged to also prevent your ISP from slowing your asdl link if there’s too much data use. Given that a single megabit per second is a long hoped for goal on my rural telephone wires I decided to give this a try. Now, I can usually sense if something is too good to be true but this one got past me.

The sellers kept me informed by email of the order’s progress and Yodel delivered the package today.

The unit looks quite well made except for the part that adapts it to a 13amp socket. I struggled to get it to fit well but got there in the end. This got me reading the instructions which I noted contained no mention of the little box’s super powers.

I plugged it in and it didn't fit the socket well; it wouldn’t go fully home but hey ho, I’ve come this far.........

I really should have stopped there and on reflection I had a feeling something wasn’t quite right....... but I didn’t

I opened up my windows laptop and typed the given url into the bar. Thank goodness my Avast subs are up to date as it jumped straight in to tell me my little wonder box is actually full of malware :eek:

Cunning Bastardos! :mad:

Ah well. A little older, a little poorer and a little wiser :blast

They call themselves the Wifiboost team and emails come from help@support-deals.com

Easily done. You won't be the last to be caught out. They do this stuff because they're good at it.

Good job you had a failsafe with the Avast stuff! :thumb2

If your on VDSL- these very little you can do to improve your speeds yourself

Now ADSL, thats a different matter ;)

Who is your current isp & what is your BB speed up & down?

There is some freely availalable legitimate programs out there that can help you to gain (sometimes) quite a bit of speed

you need a bit of tech ability to play with the settings , but the results pay dividends

What did the vendor have to say about your findings?
I’m just putting it down to experience and assuming that any “fix” they offer will be a further attempt to invade my privacy. I just donkt feel like investing any further energy in their scam and I very much doubt Facebook will give a toss.

If your on VDSL- these very little you can do to improve your speeds yourself

Now ADSL, thats a different matter ;)

Who is your current isp & what is your BB speed up & down?

There is some freely availalable legitimate programs out there that can help you to gain (sometimes) quite a bit of speed

you need a bit of tech ability to play with the settings , but the results pay dividends
As far as I know it’s ADSL from BT Broadband.

Ookla tends to measure around 1.2 Mb/s but my recent download of the latest Garmin maps was as low as 78kb/s. BT always tell me I have too many devices connected to WiFi but they are never all working at the same time and I’m convinced it’s the fact that the copper cable travels around 2.5 miles to the box with multiple joints caused by careless verge cutting........... except where itks carefully draped over the barbed wire fences of course.

We are allegedly earmarked for FTTP but nobody can tell us when or if that’s going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom