How to deal with the weight?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had 1150 Adventure for over 16 years now. I am on my second one (Phil Reynolds old one), the idea was to have a tatty one for the winter and a nice one for the summer..... I am down to just the one though, thanks to a driver on his phone. I am finding it very difficult to even just lift the bike on and off the stand now, even pushing her off the side stand if there is a little bit of camber. Once she is loaded I can't use the centre stand at all. The other day even without the luggage on I couldn't get her off the centre stand and had to ask for help from a passer-by. I love the bike, I have many memories with both bikes, done some big trips on them but I am getting less and less confident with the size and weight. I know if I dropped her there is no way, even with all the techniques you get shown, like walking backwards lifting it, or lifting with the end of the handlebar - I can't get it more than a couple of inches off the ground. If it went on a wrong camber I would be completely stuffed. Has anyone any idea of how to deal with it? I have lowered the suspension to make it easier and keep me going longer on her.... but that is now not enough. Is it time to admit defeat and just stick with the lightweight? Or is there something I haven't thought of that will enable me to deal with the weight of the bike?

Why do you need the taller ADV model ? just get a standard GS, and if you want/need the extra fuel capacity just fit the adv tank.

Erm, don't use the centre stand?

While fully loaded at least.
I more than struggle on my gsa. Even the OEM alu panniers empty are weighty.
Parked in a camber with the side stand as you said is a hernia waiting to happen especially with a full tank heaving the bike upright. I have had two hernia ops in the past .

Not just heavy but tall as well where leverage can be either beneficial or a pain.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Cut the stuff that you need to carry to a bare minimum. Get soft panniers (my Moskos are light, some that are less complex weigh much less) Extend the sidestand - although watch out for problems with the mainstand if you do this. Did you have the centrestand cut down to suit your lowered suspension? Having a stand the wrong length makes a massive difference.

Being able to remove luggage easily if you drop the bike might help, but there are vids on youtube of girlies lifting Electraglides, so anything is possible.😊

If my bike is loaded I try to sort of use my weight and momentum to lever it upright as I get on it rather than trying to heave it upright once in the saddle. Maybe Mr Bannatyne can help?😆

I think most of us suffer with the weight of theses old girls with one thing or another as the years tick past, I know I do with shoulder and chest pain from time to time.
I'm going away at the end of the month for a couple weeks and I've got soft panniers for this one and I'll make my mind up on maybe moving over to a lighter bike once back.

Why do you need the taller ADV model ? just get a standard GS, and if you want/need the extra fuel capacity just fit the adv tank.

Indeed
One of my 1150 GS Adv's is lowered to GS height
Rides so much better with a lower CofG
Easier to push around too

Ive changed my CS to a standard GS one. A breeze to life and push off. But Wat h out the learn angle when on side.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

That’s a clever bit of kit. Would look brilliant in Tesco’s carpark after a drop full of shopping.:D:D:thumb

Just need a willing pilloin to do a 'monkey lift' Get them to put their feet on the rear tyre by the ground, then have them grab on to something solid like a pannier or grab rail and lean back as a counter weight. The rider can then practically lift the bike with one hand. Works a treat.

Changing tires may help. At least, whenever I switch from Conti Trail Attack to Heidenau k60 Scout, it’s a night and day experience with getting the loaded gsa onto the centre stand. As if the Heidenaus are several centimeters larger. With Heidenau mounted, I can do it in flipflops... probably barefooted, although I have not tried. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a clever bit of kit. Would look brilliant in Tesco’s carpark after a drop full of shopping.:D:D:thumb

Just what I was thinking... but just how embaressing having to use that every time you put fuel in to get the bike off the side stand!

So basically, if the bike is too, it is too heavy - end of. It is a real struggle to push it upright off the side stand. Think it is time to just admit defeat - yet once riding, I can manage it fine and the elevation is great for visibility down the road. I have more physio to go through yet. I will endure and see if I can build strength back up before committing and final decisions. George, my son, found my old Nellie - standard GS with TT long range tank. She has been resprayed blue/white livery and restored with new powder coating etc... should have kept that one! 2002 with ABS. She was tatty when I sold her though, with 98,000 on her!

So basically, if the bike is too, it is too heavy - end of.

It's not end of at all.

It comes down to planning where you're going to stop, having the side stand the right length and importantly the technique you use to get a heavy bike off it's sidestand as you get on ie. your not likely to push it up, rather use inertia through your hips to get it up trusting you'll be able to put your right foot down as it comes over. Basics!

Time to move to a lighter bike mate, I loved my 1100 1150 and my 1200, but father time catches up with us all , have some demos on some lighter stuff around and see what Rocks your boat, that new yam 700 looks the biz

Time to move to a lighter bike mate, I loved my 1100 1150 and my 1200, but father time catches up with us all , have some demos on some lighter stuff around and see what Rocks your boat, that new yam 700 looks the biz

It is going to be an agonising wrench though, to let go. I know people say it is just a lump of metal, but there is an emotional attachment, I don't care what anyone says, that and the long wait from when they first came out and saw one in the dealer, and that gate fold brochure for it... from that moment I wanted one. It was a couple of years before I felt confident I could pay for one, a used one - and then the long pay off over 5 years, being ultra careful not to drop it or hit anything! Many trips clocking up many miles, 125,000 - the 8000 it had on it when I got it. The swap from that one to this one, was bad enough, it is the letting go. It isn't easy.

I have the lightweight 650, which is superb, as Mickey will attest, but it is too nice to ride through the winter, ACF50 or no. New tyres going on tomorrow, because these Karoo 3s are bald at the back and only about 1mm on the front. I have a new pair in the garage attic and they will fit them for me tomorrow. maybe new tyres, a couple of nice rides and my confidence will come back. It may simply be just that, confidence and being out of practise. Anyone about the Peak District on the morrow? Tyres being fitted in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom