1250 GS or GSA?

RJP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I realise this has most likely been discussed any number of times and if someone can point me in the direction of a previous thread then that would be great. I've done a search but didn't really find a thread.

In the last 15 years I've owned 2 GSA's and 3 GS's. On that information alone you'd think I'd be able to make an informed decision. I sold my last GS in 2015, when my first child was born, after being convinced by my wife that the bike was unnecessary in my life. So, a few years down the line and I'm definitely getting a bike again, I feel like someone has cut an arm off!

Last week I had a test drive on the new GSA and GS 1250. The GSA felt heavy but the tank was full so not surprising. The GS felt better at chucking round a roundabout, but if you add bars and lights etc. you're quickly at the price of a GSA. I've done long miles in the past and coming back from Spain I did 1,025 miles in a day once with a very early start, a nap on the tunnel (on the floor) and a late arrival home. I took a GSA up to Val D'sere skiing, fine going up but dropped it 3 times riding down hill on the ice, probably not my best idea that one. I've ridden round Europe a few times and also really enjoyed the Off Road Skills course in South Wales. I'd really like to do some more off road and fully intend to do that, especially as I'll be living & working in Italy for the next couple of years. So there'll also be some European transits UK to Italy and back.

My question is does anyone have thoughts/advice on the pros/cons of GS or GSA. Has anyone bought one, then regretted it and wished they'd gone for the other? I'm currently thinking to go to a new factory lowered GSA Ralyee with the black metal panniers. I'll put some pics of a few of the previous bikes if I can figure out how to!

P2140231.jpg

Flip a coin, sounds like you would be happy either.
Try something slightly different, try a r1200r, it's a cracking bike for solo riding.

Gsa is better value by time you’ve added lights and bars

Apart from the tank size I've never seen the benefits of the GSA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

Depends how tight you are. I got the GSA twice because once you add bars and aux lights etc you're at the same price. GS would prob be more manageable but I get 210 miles per tank on my GSA anyway so based off that I wouldn't buy a GS and have to fill up every 110-120 miles.

Other than that depends which luggage you prefer.

Thanks for all the great comments. I think the GSA is winning at the mo and if I'm staying local I just won't fill up to keep it feeling lighter. I tried one in the showroom which was factory lowered and I was impressed at how it felt.

Depends how tight you are. I got the GSA twice because once you add bars and aux lights etc you're at the same price. GS would prob be more manageable but I get 210 miles per tank on my GSA anyway so based off that I wouldn't buy a GS and have to fill up every 110-120 miles.

Other than that depends which luggage you prefer.

A std GS will do over 200mls on a tankfull easily.

BTW what's the name of the cubby hole bit at the front of tank, and what the hell are you supposed to put in that apart from jelly babies??? My old bike didn't have that.

A std GS will do over 200mls on a tankfull easily.
If you spend your days doing 30 in 6th, yes. I get 210/215 out of my GSA and the refill is usually 26 litres which has me in the reserve.

So no, a standard GS won't do over 200 miles on a full tank. The GS I had before my GSA did 120-130 per tank which is half the reason I traded it after 3 weeks for a GSA.

BTW what's the name of the cubby hole bit at the front of tank, and what the hell are you supposed to put in that apart from jelly babies??? My old bike didn't have that.
90 degree tyre value adapter, garage door opener, ear plugs when not in use, 2x£1 coins for lockers at work. Not sure what it's actually meant for but is handy.

If you spend your days doing 30 in 6th, yes. I get 210/215 out of my GSA and the refill is usually 26 litres which has me in the reserve.

So no, a standard GS won't do over 200 miles on a full tank. The GS I had before my GSA did 120-130 per tank which is half the reason I traded it after 3 weeks for a GSA.
I have to disagree here, I do a lot of motorway miles at motorway speeds on my GS and comfortably get 200 miles from a tank. That's at approx 55mpg.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I have to disagree here, I do a lot of motorway miles at motorway speeds on my GS and comfortably get 200 miles from a tank. That's at approx 55mpg.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Disagree all you like, it doesn't change what's true. I've had a GS and I'm on my second GSA. First hilltopped, second not. This is what I get from a tank and I commute 5 days per week.
8d14837b816d0bb9578c955cfab49493.jpg

Earplugs? Bit of loose change? No need for 90deg valve adapter they come standard on the new bikes :beerjug:
That MPG looks dire. Just done a spirited trip round Scotland on 1250 GSA averaging out at 56 MPG

I'm 2 months into a 1250 GSA HP. I'm on my third. First thing is height. I'm 5'10" with 31" ISL. I really struggled with the decision, Standard or Lowered, Head was saying lowered, heart was saying standard. I think I'm on the cusp ISL wise so can manage the Standard height - just! I went for Standard I think there is a bit of a subconscious pride thing going on in the decision making.
As others have said by the time you've specked up a GS to the GSA level you are almost at the same price.
I must admit I'm now starting to have some buyers remorse. The GS HP is a thing of beauty. People go on about the range but you still have to stop for your mates to fill up and you are ready for a stretch anyway so it really isn't an issue. The capacity is not that small. The GS looks less 'cluttered' at the front but the GSA looks more imposing. The GS seat is also slightly lower which could save going Lowered. I love the GSA but I think in hindsight I could have gone down the GS route without issue.

The 1200 LC series had less difference between GS and GSA. On the 1250, the difference is more pronounced. This is due to a bigger difference in geometry and dimensions.

On the 1250:
The GSA is taller to begin with. The ride height difference between GS and GSA remains more consistent because of the self levelling suspension. The GSA front end is more upright, so when tipping into corners at speed, the GSA feels like it has a stronger gyroscopic effect from the wheels and feels more resistant to directional change. The bigger tank/weight carried up high also magnifies this, and the wider handlebars of the GSA make you feel like you’re piloting a big ship.

The tank width also plays a role: the GS is narrow between the legs. It is as if the GSA were an IL4 in width vs. the GS feeling like a narrow vtwin. Again, this plays a role midbend at speed - the GS feels more controllable. Anyone who has ridden a Ducati will understand this.

Whilst the power/drivetrain is the same, you can’t get away with the fact thay the GSA is simply heavier by approx 20kg. Sure, add extra farkles to the GS and some of that is diminished, but not 20kg worth.

The GSA has better weather protection from the enormous tank, but I’m not sure it makes a big difference when you’re already riding a big motorbike with equally interchangeable screens? If you wanted to stay dry, take the car.

Price wise - ok, maybe the GSA is fractionally ‘better value’ but you’re already putting the best part of £20k into the bike. You will make up the 5% difference in price ‘value’ but you will have to live with the physical differences of the bikes.

Tank range? I make rapid progress on the bike regularly hitting 3 digits where allowed, and do not get less than 165 miles to a GS tank. Even when mixing in several laps of the Nurburgring at Vmax VAccel, I was still getting the same mileage.

Reasons for the GSA? Personal preference. Long distance lolloping along and motorways, I think it offers a less ‘busy’ ride. The Range Rover.

Reasons for the GS? It is more agile and offers a more dynamic and sportier ride. The Range Rover Sport.

Both great bikes.

I’ve had 6 GS’s and 2 GSA’s. The GS is much more nimble and fun to ride. When I had the GSA I’d fill it up at the start of each day rather than the end, but it was still a big fucker to push around. On the continent, I found I could get around 230 miles out of the GS, which is more than enough.

Get the GS, unless you want to fool yourself in thinking the GSA is better.;)

Back
Top Bottom