Anatomy of the accident....

You've been very lucky then. Its a very common thing on the track. I personnaly have never had it either, but then again i've never had a tank slapper !
But, if he got chucked off the bike, how would he know he no longer had any front brakes.

I found that 929 fireblade and the gsx750r were more susceptible to this than a zx9 or 955.

But what do I know !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

But, if he got chucked off the bike, how would he know he no longer had any front brakes.

I found that 929 fireblade and the gsx750r were more susceptible to this than a zx9 or 955.

But what do I know !

The vid clearly shows him grabing the front brake, and lever goes to the bar, had he pumped it a couple of times he might have regained the brakes.

The vid clearly shows him grabing the front brake, and lever goes to the bar, had he pumped it a couple of times he might have regained the brakes.
What I said; been there, done that.

This is why skill days are run, so you can practice in a controlled environment.

What I said; been there, done that.

This is why skill days are run, so you can practice in a controlled environment.

God, i remember Mr Benzies of Tullyallan fame making me jam everything on at 30 mph at a training day at the college. Its actually quite enlightening finding out how much distance you could shorten the stopping distance by, once you got your brain round it.

its a closed system, once he has activated the hydraulics, the pads can't be forced back in unless their was a release somewhere?
Maybe his bike had a damper fitted aftermarket. He clearly says his damper in the video??

its a closed system, once he has activated the hydraulics, the pads can't be forced back in unless their was a release somewhere?

If, you push the pads in, as if you were going to change them but then decide they are fine after all.

Do you

A)
Pump brake lever to get pistons to move out and restore braking pressure.

B)
Do nothing they'll be fine.

C)
What are brake pads.

A violent tank slapper is more than able to, via the pads, compress the pistons back into the caliper, brake fluid will be displaced back to the master cylinder.

Until the brake lever is pumped and the pistons close the gap up between the pads/discs; no front brake.

If, you push the pads in, as if you were going to change them but then decide they are fine after all.

Do you

A)
Pump brake lever to get pistons to move out and restore braking pressure.

B)
Do nothing they'll be fine.

C)
What are brake pads.

A violent tank slapper is more than able to, via the pads, compress the pistons back into the caliper, brake fluid will be displaced back to the master cylinder.

Until the brake lever is pumped and the pistons close the gap up between the pads/discs; no front brake.

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:bow:bow:bow:D:D:D

He's asked for opinions, so here goes. Looks to me like his front tyre's washed out on the line of gravel down the centre of the road. He's quite harsh with his steering inputs which might explain why his riding buddies, following pretty much the same line at a similar lean angle, managed to sail on through. The supposed tank slapper is just the bike trying desperately to correct itself...he does the very understandable "death grip" and tries to correct the correction, so inadvertently exacerbating the problem and culminating in a spot of target fixation when he picks his point to crash at.

Feel really sorry for the guy and hope he recovers from his injuries fully and quickly...and gains sufficient confidence to go riding again. Assuming he does, I reckon he'd benefit from a day with https://hoppridertraining.co.uk

My wake up call happened about 10 years ago in France. No mystery involved, just massively excessive speed, target fixation and - lucky for me - a nice big grassy run off area on the offside. Despite fucking up in virtually every way possible, my only injury was damaged pride (I'd been a Rospa gold for a few years then and thought I was a riding hero) and bruised kidneys (as a result of punches from the missus, riding pillion at the time).

Both this chap and l were fortunate enough to NOT have any oncoming traffic. In both cases the result could have been so much worse if there had been.

my guess a well ridden GS would have had them all...

PS not watched the video, I'm far too busy making up opinions.... to be bothering with that....!

He was riding where the puncture fairy lives while his friends passed and the front deflated quickly and...and...

The guy who crashed has obviously no clue what a tank-slapper is...A lock to lock high speed wobble or the rear stepping out and gaining traction again causing lock to lock fishtailing and mostly then a painful highside...:eek:
Here the front wheel lost traction momentarily and he got scared grabbed the bars and made things worse by running off the road...At least he got lucky that no car was coming the other way.Just bad luck hitting a sliock patch,oil,diesel,sand,gravel,antifreeze because he was not even running hard using a lot of lean angle...Also it looked like the weather was cold which is never good for traction.Oh well things like this are part of the fun riding a motorcycle as there are only 2 types of riders...Riders who have been down and riders who will go down...I paid my dues a couple of years ago and my dues will come up again...You play you pay !

Most importantly, how are you now?

As above ??

It has been 3 years since it happened....going to reply to some comments soon.

at about 1:00 in your video you make a similar left corner and run very close to the verge at the left shortly after

I am thinking that you possibly picked up a bit of mud or a stones on the left side of the tyre as you start to turn in its like your front tyre lets go momentarily and then you over compensate the correction

I am no expert but I do not think it was really a tank slapper

Who knows what any of us would have done given the time frame

Personally I think I'd have been looking to stay on the tarmac by whatever means I could

But it wasn't me on the bike (Thankfully) Sorry that you had the accident and got hurt! But The alternative is a bit permanent :thumb !

Best wishes that you have recovered or are recovering

my guess a well ridden GS would have had them all...

PS not watched the video, I'm far too busy making up opinions.... to be bothering with that....!

I shall post some of my riding videos so you can see what a well ridden GS can do ��.

Back
Top Bottom