Africa Twin valve check....fek me !!

There’s a German guy has covered over 310,000 miles on his AT 1000.....I think that’s quite encouraging. :okay

How the fook has he done that?

Its only been out since 2016

I think its stick averaging 136 mph ..... :thumb

Thats very reassuring, especially when the 790 KTM clutches are failing within 2000 miles :D

I hope that's not the case hardening wearing off on your cams :green gri

That's funny;:D. The ZZR mothership has the valves checked every ten thou; the cams have been pitted since the first check and have got no worse; the little hollows hold more oil and the case hardening is all in place; more oil can only be a good thing eh.:D

All done and dusted....no hardening problems :reaper and everything within normal parameters. :JB

Just have to get her back together again...:comfort

Attachments

• 5FFF7CCB-0385-409C-9ECC-0899A3F647A0.jpg
    5FFF7CCB-0385-409C-9ECC-0899A3F647A0.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 68EF4F24-C15E-4C7A-A0D9-70C1F0DA6684.jpg
    68EF4F24-C15E-4C7A-A0D9-70C1F0DA6684.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 564
Yep.... it's a Honda

Complete waste of time :D

I have a well used range of Snap-Off tools.

Very effective in chocolate bolts and cream puff alloy :D

Teng are my tool of choice....and I’ll just take my time, shouldn’t take more than a week !! ;)

Haha, nice one. To me that's all part of a very good quality of life :thumb2

Enjoy :)

I'll be giving this a whirl some time this winter, and like you can service up to a point but nothing too technical. I had a go at my first ever valve clearance check on my little CB125, which was dead easy with minor tweaks only needed. I'm hoping everything will be in spec on the AT, especially the intakes. I'll be fooked if cam need removal is required :eek:

The dealers here dont seem to be overly interested in doing it. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the bike taking up more than a days worth of bench time, or just they dont know how to do them confidently. So if anyone is going to cock it up it may as well be me :D

In reality though, how wrong could it go, aside from dropping bolts/tools into the abyss?

.....But my god, I’ve never had a bike that needs soooo much taken off it to gain access to the oily bits. Although the Honda workshop manual doesn’t say the rads need to come off, the sages say it’s much easier to do the check with them removed. So far.....

Seat, fairing, tank, air box, throttle bodies, coil pack tray, radiators and loads of other bits and bobs have come off. It’s no much wonder that Honda apparently charge £500+ for this service (allegedly a 9 hour job)......

You've just convinced me to run mine to 20k or so then trade the thing.

You've just convinced me to run mine to 20k or so then trade the thing.

Looking over AT and other forums, the general consensus is to leave them until at least 40k miles before checking them. The bike will be well out of warranty by then anyway and also NGK recommend changing the plugs between 40 to 50k, so just do the whole lot around then. I’ve decided not to bother checking mine again until 40k minimum.

Back
Top Bottom