Slow route calculation on my PC using BaseCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i have garmin basecamp 2d only on my computer and its taking ages to calculate a route.Is this normal ?

Check that the detailed maps are loaded and active.

Was it a route that you created yourself? If not, where did it come from?

How complicated is the route? Is it miles long?

Does it have some bizarre deviation(s) in it?

Can you create a simple A to B route, for example London to Birmingham? Does that load calculate and display quickly?

Route was from Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden yes its miles long...I can do a simple route and it calculates pretty quick so presume my route is to long ?
This is whats showing screen and satnav

Attachments

• 20191226_125754 (2).jpg
    20191226_125754 (2).jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 20191226_131125 (2).jpg
    20191226_131125 (2).jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 462
What free memory (RAM and SSD or hard drive space) do you have on your computer? If they are low then Basecamp will not have much memory (RAM and hard drive swap memory) for its number crunching.
If the route is spread over a couple of days then split them into separate files to manipulate. This will reduce the amount of data Basecamp has to process every time you make an edit to a particular leg of the route.

What free memory (RAM and SSD or hard drive space) do you have on your computer? If they are low then Basecamp will not have much memory (RAM and hard drive swap memory) for its number crunching.
If the route is spread over a couple of days then split them into separate files to manipulate. This will reduce the amount of data Basecamp has to process every time you make an edit to a particular leg of the route.

There is plenty of space.Think i need to cut my route down and do it in shorter legs.I am trying to do a complete route and its doing my head in but probably me not the basecamp.I might try setting up my complete route up on google maps and see what route its taking me to my destinations then setup shorter legs on basecamp.

Are you asking your home computer to give you the Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden route A to B? Or have you created it going down roads of your choosing between A and B, using way or shaping points?

The route may simply be too long for the software / your computer to cope with. Try breaking it into two equal halves. Report back.

Are you asking your home computer to give you the Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden route A to B? Or have you created it going down roads of your choosing between A and B, using way or shaping points?

The route may simply be too long for the software / your computer to cope with. Try breaking it into two equal halves. Report back.

just wanted a route A to B ..Broke it down into shorter legs and works.Thanks..

It takes a couple of seconds for my computer to calculate the (faster) route between the two points.

Check your calculation settings on BC, if you have any avoidances (motorways, etc.) as that can push up the distance/time.

do you have the actual maps loaded on your computer, or are you using the maps loaded from the nav. pay attention to settings as above things like avoid road closures and shortest route . try to calculate the route without the nav connected.

do you have the actual maps loaded on your computer, or are you using the maps loaded from the nav. pay attention to settings as above things like avoid road closures and shortest route . try to calculate the route without the nav connected.

Yes pal I have the maps on computer. Thought I could do my complete route to the major places I was going but its going to take a while to break it down. Bit more fiddly than I thought.

Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden is over 1000 km, direct A to B. If you have your PC set to a load of ‘avoids’ it might well struggle, depending on the speed of the processor in the PC and the number of invisible routing points the software has to create between A and B.

What you could do is break it into sensible chunks, then try joining the chunks together. Google maps will do it in seconds A to B on an iPhone, good enough to see the general direction, as you say.

When I am back home, I’ll see if I can get my large Mac to route it A to B in one go.

Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden is over 1000 km, direct A to B. If you have your PC set to a load of ‘avoids’ it might well struggle, depending on the speed of the processor in the PC and the number of invisible routing points the software has to create between A and B.

What you could do is break it into sensible chunks, then try joining the chunks together. Google maps will do it in seconds A to B on an iPhone, good enough to see the general direction, as you say.

When I am back home, I’ll see if I can get my large Mac to route it A to B in one go.

Ok thanks Wapping

Ok thanks Wapping

I have asked my Mac, running up to date BaseCamp and maps, to give me Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden, A to B, via three alternative routes. I have the full detailed maps installed on my Mac, so I do not need to attach my Garmin device each time. The three routes are:

1. Direct. Basically no avoidances other than U-turns and car pool lanes and set to fastest time. Magenta line

2. As above, but avoiding motorways and set to 'Curvy roads' as opposed to fastest time. Red line

3. As above, but with just about all the avoidances turned on and set to 'Curvy roads' as opposed to fastest time. Green line

This it did, all three times, reasonably quickly.

I have put the GPX file with the three routes onto Dropbox for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ub8y1ghczn87kk/final - rotterdam to berchtesgaden (three ways).gpx?dl=0

As it's a GPX file it should open up easily in BaseCamp.

Was the route calculation A to B instantaneous? No

Was it grindingly slow? No. I'd guess a few seconds, no more

As there are no intermediate shaping or waypoints, does it help? I guess so but I am confident that my Mac could deal with me shaping the route further

What next for you? I guess you need to look at the speed of your PC and make sure BaseCamp / the detailed maps are installed properly and then have a look at your routing preference settings. I have all my preferences near enough turned off on both my Mac and on my Gamin GPS devices, simply as it reduces the chances of unforced errors creeping in. In short, I direct the software to take me down roads I want to chose by using the route shaping tool, not roads Garmin's software wants to chose for me. I'd also have a look to see if your A to B route has some odd glitches in it, perhaps?

Let us know how you get on, please. Sing-up if you have any other questions or comments.

Richard

PS Now to remember that I have changed my preference settings to create routes 2 and 3.... and turn them off again.

I have asked my Mac, running up to date BaseCamp and maps, to give me Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden, A to B, via three alternative routes. I have the full detailed maps installed on my Mac, so I do not need to attach my Garmin device each time. The three routes are:

1. Direct. Basically no avoidances other than U-turns and car pool lanes and set to fastest time. Magenta line

2. As above, but avoiding motorways and set to 'Curvy roads' as opposed to fastest time. Red line

3. As above, but with just about all the avoidances turned on and set to 'Curvy roads' as opposed to fastest time. Green line

This it did, all three times, reasonably quickly.

I have put the GPX file with the three routes onto Dropbox for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ub8y1ghczn87kk/final - rotterdam to berchtesgaden (three ways).gpx?dl=0

As it's a GPX file it should open up easily in BaseCamp.

Was the route calculation A to B instantaneous? No

Was it grindingly slow? No. I'd guess a few seconds, no more

As there are no intermediate shaping or waypoints, does it help? I guess so but I am confident that my Mac could deal with me shaping the route further

What next for you? I guess you need to look at the speed of your PC and make sure BaseCamp / the detailed maps are installed properly and then have a look at your routing preference settings. I have all my preferences near enough turned off on both my Mac and on my Gamin GPS devices, simply as it reduces the chances of unforced errors creeping in. In short, I direct the software to take me down roads I want to chose by using the route shaping tool, not roads Garmin's software wants to chose for me. I'd also have a look to see if your A to B route has some odd glitches in it, perhaps?

Let us know how you get on, please. Sing-up if you have any other questions or comments.

Richard

PS Now to remember that I have changed my preference settings to create routes 2 and 3.... and turn them off again.

Hi Richard,Maps are ok as are preferences..Not sure how to check speed of pc..I also need to setup dropbox so i can view the gpx file you kindly did for me.

Chris

Hi Richard,Maps are ok as are preferences..Not sure how to check speed of pc..I also need to setup dropbox so i can view the gpx file you kindly did for me.

Chris

no need to sign up to drop box you can download from the link go to download top right and select direct link, to get your pc specs look in control panel and go to system it will give you your cpu type and amount of ram. have don the same as wapping above and route takes a max of about 10 seconds depending on preferences.

Chris, as Lee says, anyone can download the file from Dropbox, as I have made it accessible to everyone. If for some unknown reason your PC does not recognise it as a gpx file or automatically open it straight up in BaseCamp, then save it to say your desktop and chose BaseCamp to open it from there.

Just for something to do, I asked my Mac and BaseCamp to give me a direct A to B (no set preferences excluded) route from the far north tip of Norway, straight to Gibraltar, a distance of over 3,500 miles. It stuttered a little, the software appearing to run through assorted options (or maybe it was taxed a bit) but it came through in, I guess, about 45 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmmf4ipseidljbd/havøysund to gibraltar.gpx?dl=0

Chris, this coupled to Lee's own investigations, leads me to think the problem or glitch lies somewhere either in the route you are creating or in your PC (speed of processing or whatever) or in your BaseCamp software or some combination of the lot.

Just for something to do, I asked my Mac and BaseCamp to give me a direct A to B (no set preferences excluded) route from the far north tip of Norway, straight to Gibraltar, a distance of over 3,500 miles. It stuttered a little, the software appearing to run through assorted options (or maybe it was taxed a bit) but it came through in, I guess, about 45 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmmf4ipseidljbd/havøysund to gibraltar.gpx?dl=0

Chris, this coupled to Lee's own investigations, leads me to think the problem or glitch lies somewhere either in the route you are creating or in your PC (speed of processing or whatever) or in your BaseCamp software or some combination of the lot.

I think it could be my rubbish computer ..It says installed memeory ram 8.00gb 7.89 usable...I only have ever used comp for pictures and coming on here.Maybe its time to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom