London theft insurance - impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted account 200227001

Reaction score
I am trying to get sensible quotes for insurance.

Bike is a £7,000 Africa twin (2017 model)

As soon as I mention bike is kept on driveway (and not in a locked garage) it seems impossible to get anyone to offer insurance

Any ideas?

Sounds like, under your current conditions - any insurance would have an excess to the value of the bike, for theft.

Find a lock-up in a better area?

I am trying to get sensible quotes for insurance.

Bike is a £7,000 Africa twin (2017 model)

As soon as I mention bike is kept on driveway (and not in a locked garage) it seems impossible to get anyone to offer insurance

Any ideas?

Probably a silly question but have you tried the comparison sites?

My GS was stolen around 18 months or so ago and I now have a 1250 - not garaged. The cost is high but I'm ok paying that for the pleasure I get from riding my bike.

There were only 2 companies that would quote - Bennetts @ £2.2k and another @ £7k

yep. tried gocompare

i guess i could claim its kept in a garage and if its nicked, pretend it was nicked from somewhere other than at my house

yep. tried gocompare

i guess i could claim its kept in a garage and if its nicked, pretend it was nicked from somewhere other than at my house

That would be silly - if you are serious?

If I can get it for a un-garaged £14k bike I'm sure you should be able to, with a bit of effort.

i am not willing to pay thousands to insure my bike

Then try for 3rd party cover only (no fire/theft).

When it gets nicked -you will appreciate just why the theft element of the cover was so high.

You’re hoping there is a magic solution —— there really isn’t

(Sounds of ‘yeahbut, yeahbut - I’ll have lost a £7k bike!” ) that’s what the underwriters are envisaging too.

ok, so here's a question.... i say it's kept in a garage (it isn't) and it really is nicked from somewhere else (another town, abroad etc)

what happens then?

ok, so here's a question.... i say it's kept in a garage (it isn't) and it really is nicked from somewhere else (another town, abroad etc)

what happens then?

The underwriter may or may not look into your compliance with the T&C of the policy.

But - it’s most likely going to get nicked from your driveway/the street at your house/flat. Then you are just going to have to suck it up.

mm.. then again. i have so many bikes in my front garden it takes me 15 mins to get one out, with all the faffing around with wheely bins, locks, chains, covers and moving one to get to the other. rather like these:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 238
You realise your entering a contract which is legally binding on both parties :nenau if you break that contract by not declaring a material fact, you will have no cover and you could end up with a fraud conviction as well as possibly a driving without insurance charge. You immediately invalidate your insurance because you lied on your application for that insurance and therefore the insurance company are under zero obligation to honour that insurance. Just as an aside to your post, i've just been quoted £125 fully comp for my insurance which is due next month. There are compensations for living "UP NORTH" :p:green gri:blast:D

Then try for 3rd party cover only (no fire/theft).

Most insurances refuse to cover for third party only.
It happened to me, and it is bullshit.

In London anything above 5k should be garaged (lock-up, no shared garages sadly).
Had the same problem as OP, ended up renting a lock-up and made my life easier (and cheaper).

not practical to have a bike in a lock up as it's used daily

Is it that complex to:

1) open a door
2) unlock the bike
3) close the door
4) ride away

?

To be fair I wouldn't leave a 7k bike, neither a 1k one, on a driveway in London.

Ah, ok, makes sense that way.

Did they refuse to cover you for third party only?

Do you really need the AT every day? Is it not possible to save it for best and rent a garage? Then use one of the other bikes you claim to have or get a cheap scooter for everyday urban journeys.

If you aren't willing to pay the price asked by the insurer, then you aren't going to be keeping the AT legal anyway. Nobody here is going to reassure you that misrepresenting facts on your insurance proposal will end well.

no, i can get third party only cover.

to be honest the "theft from home" scenario doesn't worry me as it's tucked away in a front garden, under cover, with multiple locks and a ground anchor.

it's the "parked away from home on the street or outside a hotel" scenario i really need theft cover for. but insurance companies base their theft risk on whether its garaged at home or not, nothing else

i would not feel comfortable leaving a bike in a lock-up that is at the end of a dark alley, or away from view (like most seem to be that are within 1-2 miles of my house)

plus, i need a big bike to travel outside of london. scooter is no good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom