New kit for £1000

Will be posting up my Rukka suit (forget the name of it and can't look now) for sale shortly if that's of any use....

Cant say enough good things about my BMW Streetguard suit and dealers are giving them away at the mo-well worth a punt imho.

whatever happened to a simple pair of shitkickers, welly socks, jeans, a thick jumper, (optional newspaper stuffed down the front if it's abit cold) short scratchy scarf, perhaps a leather jack topped off combat jacket..?... (which inflated nicely at speed) shitty non insulated gloves and a scratched up crash helmet that has seen a bit ot tarmac on several occassions....... (but seemed ok)

whatever happened to a simple pair of shitkickers, welly socks, jeans, a thick jumper, (optional newspaper stuffed down the front if it's abit cold) short scratchy scarf, perhaps a leather jack topped off combat jacket..?... (which inflated nicely at speed) shitty non insulated gloves and a scratched up crash helmet that has seen a bit ot tarmac on several occassions....... (but seemed ok)

Age happened.

A lot depends on what compromises you're willing to put up with. I had the BM kit with waterproof inner liner, oh how I laughed when going up the Col de la Bonette where it was a pleasant 20 degrees C and near to the top it started to rain, and cold rain at that, so taking the jacket and trousers off to put the liners in. Then went for over jacket / trousers, great until you're on a motorway and it starts to rain, you eventually find a bridge to hide under while putting the waterproofs on, and you're struggling getting a good sweat on getting the bastard things on. 5 miles later the rain stops and you now understand how boil in the bag works!

Jacket and trousers with waterproof linings, great until it gets hot, and then you're very hot, as they hadn't invented decent vents then, not ideal. Must be about 10 years ago I bought the original Klim Traverse suit, waterproof, but has vents that kept the temperature down. Great for the usual UK weather of 4 seasons in a day. I think Klim have lost their way, too expensive compared to other makes, excluding Rukka. I can see the buy once don't buy often logic, but, I don't tend to keep the kit that long as invariably something "better" comes out every few years, which will make the £2000 suit obsolete, but not useless. So for me who probably will get wet every other ride, as I'm in Scotland, but likes European trips and is willing to be accept it won't be quite as cool as vented clothing in towns, then the new Oxford Hinterland looks to be ticking a lot of boxes but will investigate the Richa suit mentioned in an earlier post. YMMV.

Asking one suit to do everything all year round is a bit much, but it isn't far off. I bought a Klim Latitude suit about 4 years ago and it's one of the best things I ever did. Previous jacket, which was admittedly a bit past its best, was a Hein Gericke touring jacket from 2002 :D. On that basis if I assume I'm going to get 10 years out of a jacket I don't mind spending the equivalent of £40 or £50 a year these days. Decent waterproof kit that vents makes such a difference when riding in the UK or abroad.

I tend to use my Revit kevlar jeans most of spring/summer/autumn unless it's looking like it will rain or I'm going distance. Paired with the Klim jacket and the not insignificant amount of weather protection that the Africa Twin Adv Sports provides, I've rode through major rain and still been dry.

With the zips closed and the Klim trousers on I have rode through biblical rain and still been dry as you'd expect. More to the point, after half an hour drip-drying the suit has been dry too. For that reason I would always stay away from removable liners unless it's just a thermal liner.

The Klim has numerous vents, and with them open you're ok up to around 28C, maybe more as long as you can keep moving. 35C in Slovenia got a bit much though!

With £1k budget I would go for a laminate jacket & trousers combo, but making sure the jacket has vents, and would also get a pair of decent kevlar jeans for the summer months. Jeans + laminated vented jacket is a suitable combination for much of the summer, only on a few days have I wished I had a mesh jacket.

The new Richa laminate suit's going to very hard to beat at 500 quid all in, half your budget and leaves a packet for fun stuff. Motolegends have a video out about it.

One thing I didn't pick up at first is that that suits vents don't vent to you directly, they have a "membrane" behind the zips IYSWIM. So it'll only be marginally cooler if you have the zips open, and won't get rid of any perspiration inside of the suit.

One thing I didn't pick up at first is that that suits vents don't vent to you directly, they have a "membrane" behind the zips IYSWIM. So it'll only be marginally cooler if you have the zips open, and won't get rid of any perspiration inside of the suit.
I have just realised this over the weekend while doing my YouTube research for a new suit. It's a shame, it ticks all the other boxes.

It's a pity also that Oxford don't do dedicated matching pants for the Hinterland, which also looks promising.

S20 5G sent this......

If Rev'it would put some arm vents on the Horizon 2 it would be hard to overlook. It's the only criticism I have....... I've been wearing one for a couple of years now.

S20 5G sent this......

The zips just gone on my Rukka Armaxion jacket which was a warranty replacement for an older jacket which had faded. I'm looking at the Triumph Malvern which is now half price and has the same Goretex laminate,D30 and Armacour for £300 as it's end of line. I tried one on at a skills day and was impressed with the cut as it was a bit longer and has a good softshell liner and it seems to have everything my Rukka does. I won't be buying a Triumph to become a full kit w anchor but I'm halfway there with the Africa twin lid.

The zips just gone on my Rukka Armaxion jacket which was a warranty replacement for an older jacket which had faded. I'm looking at the Triumph Malvern which is now half price and has the same Goretex laminate,D30 and Armacour for £300 as it's end of line. I tried one on at a skills day and was impressed with the cut as it was a bit longer and has a good softshell liner and it seems to have everything my Rukka does. I won't be buying a Triumph to become a full kit w anchor but I'm halfway there with the Africa twin lid.

The Malvern looks like a nice jacket, how did you find the sizing/ fit?

The Malvern looks like a nice jacket, how did you find the sizing/ fit?

I've just got it today and as ever went for tosser standard xxl which was 58 in Rukka world and I find it more tailored with a slimmer cut if that's possible in porky sizes. It's the length of the jacket which was a winner as although in the past I used to go for the longer Rukka size it always felt like a sports jacket. The material is the same as the R. It's also got a decent sized D30 back protector and the soft shell liner is handy. I didn't need the sporty picture on the inside to remind me I'm riding a bike but then I'm grumpy. Overall at this price bang for buck is high I'll just have to see if it lasts as long as the R.

I've just got it today and as ever went for tosser standard xxl which was 58 in Rukka world and I find it more tailored with a slimmer cut if that's possible in porky sizes. It's the length of the jacket which was a winner as although in the past I used to go for the longer Rukka size it always felt like a sports jacket. The material is the same as the R. It's also got a decent sized D30 back protector and the soft shell liner is handy. I didn't need the sporty picture on the inside to remind me I'm riding a bike but then I'm grumpy. Overall at this price bang for buck is high I'll just have to see if it lasts as long as the R.

Sounds spot on

:beerjug:

Having researched and tried on Rukka, Klim, Dane and Oxford I finally went for the Triumph Malvern from my local dealers

As I have said elsewhere it ticked all the boxes. Gortex Pro, comfortable and plenty of popper fasteners as opposed to Velcro. The jacket is a bit stiff at the moment but the thermal lines is vry similar to a Knox Cold Killer and can be worn independently

As a discontinued suit I got a healthy discount (although I could have got even more on eBay) and the total cost for the suit was considerably less than most of the jackets I was looking at

Mike

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    110.1 KB · Views: 171
Triumph stuff is great quality and often discounted....

Back
Top Bottom